Country
    Singapore

4ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, 1

After having several tanks at home, it is time to upgrade to a bigger size and since I would prefer to save the hassle of applying for a large tank, I just went with the max length which is in the range of the HDB (4ft). Thus here is my 4ft ADA 120P tank together with a cabinet from FB, kudos to them for helping me settle all the logistics in sending it over to my house.

Currently only did a minor hardscape with some rocks from them as well. Using some black lava rocks to cover the holes in the large rocks to prevent the aquasoil from spilling into the center which would be filled with La Plata sand. I have a 4ft drift wood as well but if I add it in, it would seem to be a bit too squeezy in the tank. Was intending to keep at least 1 pair of discus and a couple of angels inside but not sure if they are able to live in my tank.

Would be using HC as a carpet, have some alternanthera reineckii mini and ammania bonsai which I could use as background plants and some anubias nana petit which could fit in between the rocks. Would love to hear any suggestions on the hardscape or plants which could fit inside this tank.

Filter: Eheim Pro 3e 2078
    Lighting: Aqua Zonic IP3
    CO2: yes via inline atomizer
    Chiller: no

IMG_0166.jpg

Looking forward to hearing some comments on this.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4ft tank

Finally had time to put in the soil and sand for the scape, would be using the CNY to plant the tanks and hopefully be able to start the cycling by this week.

IMG_0173.jpg

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow... top-notch equipment setup. Looks good!
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This looks amazing everything look so classy and sleek!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks a lot, will be planting this week using my plants from my other tanks which include HC, alternanthera reineckii mini, ammania bonsai, nana petit and maybe some mosses on the rocks. Will update once its planted in. Happy CNY to all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Nice one! The sand really brings out the texture of the rocks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow ADA 120p nice!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can't wait till it grows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Wow, it must feel really good to have a 4ft tank.
    I am hoping for the day when I can also have one (for 2 nice and tame Pacus).

Happy Lunar New Year.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 7th Feb 2016 at 22:39.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks alot for the comments, I have already started planting the tank and am looking for ferts to add. Does anyone have any suggestions? My previous tanks all are small tanks so I was using ADAs brighty step. But with the current tank, the ADA would cost a bomb. I have heard of LushGro dry ferts but have no idea on how to dose them? Do they give a chart of like what to dose on each day or is it up to personal discretion?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZacNg View Post
    My previous tanks all are small tanks so I was using ADAs brighty step. But with the current tank, the ADA would cost a bomb. ...
    The trick is to creatively use the same amount as in the smaller tanks. Then the extra volume of water will be valuable as free swimming space and a stable water column. There's no need to fill the whole tank with plants, unless you are serious about aquascaping, in which case, planting will be your priority. Simplicity can go a long way to minimize future chores.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

IMG_0202.jpg

Back with some new updates. Have planted and flooded the tank over the CNY weekends. Don't mind the rock on the driftwood as it was floating and the rock is to help it sink for these few weeks before I take it out. Below are the plants which I have planted

Alternanthera Reineckii "mini"
    HC
    Ammania Bonsai
    Nana petit
    Echinodorus Tenellus
    Lobelia Cardinalis
    Eleocharis Vivipara
    Erio Vietnam
    Eriocaulon Sp. Truncatum
    Pogostemon Helferi
    Spiky Moss
    Some unkown crypt from my other tank

Any suggestions on other plants to block my filter intake? The tall hairgrass keeps getting stuck in the filter intake.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Your filter intake pipe seems to be at the front of the tank... why not shift it to the back, and shift the outflow to the front instead, so that the intake doesn't look so obvious.

With the filter intake at the back, you can plant some taller stem plants like HM or rotala around it which will help hide the pipe. Just make sure to create a 3-4cm clearance area around the intake otherwise those plants will also end up getting sucked into it too.

Btw, replacing those stock green plastic pipes with glass lily pipes would make the tank look alot nicer... there are also acrylic lily pipes available too (if you are worried about handling glassware).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I purposely made my scape just that it is viewable from 3 angles, so the intake will always be seen which is why I would need tall plants to hide it. Will change to lily pipes as soon as I have time to go down to the shops to buy.

Feedback Score
    1 (67%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I feel that your dw looks out of place there. The 'valley' should be your focal point and the dw takes the focus away from it.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Holy is the Lord, God Almighty ! The Earth is filled with His Glory !
    90 x 50 x 50 cm tank: Eheim 2217; ANS CO2 Solenoid with 60mm intense bazooka; Zetlight 6400; Teco 500 Chiller; Borneo Wild Steel inlet/outlet
    Ferts: Dry Mixture/Dr Mallicks. Temp: 26 degrees Substrate: ADA Amazonia

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agree with phillipians, really like your rocks and the sandy area. The 'valley' looks more like a small stream.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

That was my initial plan, but I felt that without the driftwood the scape looks very plain. With the driftwood and some mosses, was hoping the moss would be able to reduce the impact of the driftwood, but this will take some time as I only bought 1 tub of tropica moss.

Just changed the inlet and outlet of the eheim to the VIV to improve the view of the scape, the green from eheim really makes it weird. Also added somemore downoi. Now battling with GSA due to my lighting was on full blast the previous few days, lowered it to almost half the intensity. Currently following ecocity-hydrophonics HPC package deal 1 dosing method. No idea on how to dose EI and I doubt my package contains the full EI dosing.

Any idea how to get rid of GSA on the rocks or dw? Already have some otos, SAE, nerite snails and some shrimps inside. The bacteria has already been stable as I have dosed bacteria from day 1 and the media is cycled from another tank. All is surviving and feasting well so far.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dilute your usual dose of excel with some tank water and spot treat the area using a syringe. Turn off the filter while doing it. Works for me.

Feedback Score
    Images

I might be wrong, bit i think GSA is related to low phosphorus. LushGro Aqua and Micro don't have Phosphorus.
    www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Sent from my HM 1S using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@gimhchng Yes I think you're right. I had an outbreak of GSA when my PO4 bottomed out. I increased my dosage of Seachem Phosphorus while doing the Excel spot treatment on the hardscape and Anubias, and the GSA disappeared in about a week. Now I try to maintain 1~2ppm PO4 with EI dosing (transiting to using dry ferts).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast