Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Plants tied to driftwood at LFS safe?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Plants tied to driftwood at LFS safe?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I like to check if it is safe to purchase plants that are already tie to driftwood sold in LFS safe to purchase and directly place in my tank?
    Because I read through many web page says that new driftwood need to be treated like boiling or bleach...
    But if I buy driftwood that plants had already tie on it, how to treat it? they plants will sure die.
    Initially only wanting to buy driftwood but when shopping around LFS, saw quite a few with plants tied on so thinking that it will look nicer that way. But after going through the web... most ppl say that driftwood need to be treated...
    First time wanting purchase driftwood/ driftwood with plants so not sure how to make it aquarium safe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Plants tied to driftwood at LFS safe?

of cos it is safe n there is no need to boil/bleach at all. just ensure there is no hitchhikers.

if u been to those farm, u will see the woods have been soaked in water for some time already before the plants are being tied to it

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The Plants tied to driftwood are for aquarium use. For me, I make a practice of soaking it in a pail for a day to get rid of snails or any hitchhikers before putting it into the main tank

Advice from boss Felix

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Plants already tied to wood from LFS are generally "safe" for use in an aquarium.... but same as with any newly bought plants and wood, algae and pests will usually hitchike in with them too. In addition, the plants and wood may also still contain residual chemical and pesticides that can affect sensitive livestock like shrimps.

Thats one of the reasons why people who never treat and quarantine their plants and wood end up eventually finding pest algae popping up and various pest critters appearing in their tanks, or their shrimps dying due to residual pesticides leaching out.

To reduce those issues, you should rinse the plants and wood throughly and inspect everything closely for hitchhikers, but alot of them are difficult to spot... so its even better if you can soak the entire plants and wood in anti-algae and anti-pest treatment to eliminate as many hitchhikers as possible.

Personally, i actually untie all the plants and boil the wood separately (guarantees 100% pest removal on the wood pieces), and treat the plants separately in another container, once all done, then i re-tie everything again. It requires extra time and effort to do, but helps to clear out all hitchhikers... so it really all depends on how careful you want to be.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Had been adding plant tied with wood for quite many time. Problem I face is only snail and algae.