Country
    Singapore

1 Gallon Planted Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello all,
    Newcomer here. I will share the progress of my plant tank in this thread.
    Right now i have a issue with my foreground plant.

4 Feb 2016 - Acquired plants Indian Fern, floating plant and rocks

6 Feb 2016 - Bought Bacopa monnieri and planted in foreground

10 Feb 2016 - Bacopa monnieri brown and melting

My last 2ft plant tank was 2001 - 2004. And i stopped doing any tanks up till now.
    This ecoqube is perfect for me because i needed a nano tank. And it cost less than $100 Singapore with internal tank + LED light.
    I have yet to stock any shrimp. The idea is to keep the tank "untouched" and see how it goes. Using Seachem Excel and Sachem Flourish.
    Bacopa monnieri not doing well though.
    Should i wait or any
    suggestion?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 1 Gallon Planted Tank

*Itchy hands syndrome*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Khong Ming! Your plants seem pretty good! Just remember to keep up your water changes and constantly monitor your water parameters! As for the Bacopa, I'm not sure if they require brighter light but you should just wait and see. Keep up the good work.
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Hi there Khong Ming! Your plants seem pretty good! Just remember to keep up your water changes and constantly monitor your water parameters! As for the Bacopa, I'm not sure if they require brighter light but you should just wait and see. Keep up the good work.
    fish.jpgfish2.jpg
    Hey hi!

Thanks for replying to my virgin post.
    1/10 Water Change with Florish and Excel added. This picture is taken on 13 Feb .
    I am following my setup of Nikolic Antonio
    But i think i'm going to follow Takashi Amano water change for his nano tanks.
    I can just hold for one more week (hopefully!) to add shrimp and fish.
    Any thoughts? Appreciate any inputs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Khong Ming! Yes, you should hold up for one more week before adding the fish because the water parameters may not have stabilized yet. Monitor the water conditions regularly and if the ammonia, nitrite and pH is stable, then you can add the fish. You may want to add some Yamato Shrimp to help clean up any algae that appears in your aquarium. As for the fish, since your aquarium is a 2ft one, I suggest you get a small school of tetras, perhaps rummy nose or neon tetras. Anyway, good job so far and keep it up!
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry happydanio123, it's not a 2ft tank. My first post might have misled you to Believe it's a 2ft.
    It's actually a 20x20cm tank.
    Im planning to rescape the tank and do major trimming on my background plants. It grew out of control!

In my next phrase, should I go for blue bee shrimp or red crystal shrimp?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure if i see right... but those foreground plants don't seem to look like Bacopa monnieri, i've kept those plants before and their leaves don't seem to match what you have.

Were the plants from a pot specifically labelled as Bacopa monnieri? Or its from an unlabelled pot?

The ones in your tank do however look alot more like Glossostigma elatinoides (aka Glosso) which happen to be growing tall due to insufficient light. Maybe can double-check them with photos online.

Here is a quick image search link using keywords "tall glosso": https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=g...&q=tall+glosso
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Not sure if i see right... but those foreground plants don't seem to look like Bacopa monnieri, i've kept those plants before and their leaves don't seem to match what you have.

Were the plants from a pot specifically labelled as Bacopa monnieri? Or its from an unlabelled pot?

The ones in your tank do however look alot more like Glossostigma elatinoides (aka Glosso) which happen to be growing tall due to insufficient light. Maybe can double-check them with photos online.

Here is a quick image search link using keywords "tall glosso": https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=g...&q=tall+glosso
    Yes you're right Urban Aquaria it's glosso.
    Thanks for clarifying!
    I bought it from NA Thomson.
    Some parts are doing alright. The rest ain't.
    Insufficent lighting is a issue. I shall remove and use it to do wabikusa.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Doesnt flourish have copper element in them? Take note if you are intending to keep crs
    I love my fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyFish View Post
    Doesnt flourish have copper element in them? Take note if you are intending to keep crs
    Hi Shadyfish,

Not sure which is which. Some forums saying that the copper substance in seachem flourish is negligible.
    Just to play safe, what are the other recommended shrimps?
    I am very keen on blue tiger or blue rili though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cute tank, be sure to post updates when it has grown out more.
    Just thought I'd mention that Fish and Fertilization are generally very very bad things for shrimp..especially in smaller tanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Cute tank, be sure to post updates when it has grown out more.
    Just thought I'd mention that Fish and Fertilization are generally very very bad things for shrimp..especially in smaller tanks.
    Hello fuzzy,
    Will definitely post pics. I can see myself being in this forum for quite some time. LOL!
    Yeah, for such a small tank like 10 Litre is very challenging.
    Any alternative?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'd recommend either picking shrimp only with few "shrimp friendly" fish, though honestly, Otocinclus are probably the only really shrimp safe fish I've seen so far, I've had a few shrimp killed by Otos, but it's when they get startled and do mad dashes around the tank.

Also do make sure you get appropriately sized fish for Nano tanks.

Could look at Boraras Brigittae if you haven't yet, they are delightfully cute little guys, but I've had them attack my shrimplets in the past also. Additionally, you need to get very finely flaked foods for them, as they have small mouths and struggle with most ordinary sized fish food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I'd recommend either picking shrimp only with few "shrimp friendly" fish, though honestly, Otocinclus are probably the only really shrimp safe fish I've seen so far, I've had a few shrimp killed by Otos, but it's when they get startled and do mad dashes around the tank.

Also do make sure you get appropriately sized fish for Nano tanks.

Could look at Boraras Brigittae if you haven't yet, they are delightfully cute little guys, but I've had them attack my shrimplets in the past also. Additionally, you need to get very finely flaked foods for them, as they have small mouths and struggle with most ordinary sized fish food.
    My LED light failed twice even thought the ecoqube company send me a replacement LED light from USA. Doesn't work and all the plants died. So I'm leaving it as it is. Sadly, shrimps and fishes are gone. Left one lone ranger.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't give up just yet. If the internal light doesn't work, get one to hang over. Your options are many, and the cost is low as well. Scour the aquarium ad forum and you might pick up a deal for less than $20. There is an Aquazonic T5 double tube for 30cm tanks going for just $15. The light brackets are adjustable and it would fit over a 20 x 20 tank as well, through with its sides protruding. Else, getting a new LED for 20cm should cost you around $30 for a good model.

Shrimps and fishes aren't really a good mix, unless you are going for the really cheap shrimps which are easy on the pocket to replace. If not, a 20 x 20 tanks could be setup to house shrimps specifically if you are more interested in shrimps.

Try again, once the tank stablilizes and flourish, the rewards are priceless.

Hang in there, Bro.