Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First-timer here! Hoping to make a little Forgotten World/Bonsai garden

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone, after thinking for a reallyyyy long time, have decided to get down to dabbling in planted tanks. Reason I didn't do it sooner was because I was always intimidated by its complexity. After some searching, I got to know that there low-light, low-tech tanks so I took a deep breath and decided to attempt!

What I have in mind is really low-tech, like CO2-less, no big canister filters etc.. I would really like something that I can leave for a week and not worry will die on me, something really low maintenance as well.

I am really interested in planted tanks with rocks resembling a forgotten world, or one with a bonsai so it feels like a small garden with a big tree.

Could you advise me if my goals are in line with my interests?

If yes, that would be great! I have understood the "Things needed to start a planted tank" to be the following:
    1) Tank: 2 feet tank ok?
    2) Substrate: Not sure which are suitable for small carpet-like plants to grow on the substrate and rocks, not the big tall wavy types.
    3) Filter: Would a hanging filter do?
    4) Lights: Are LEDs ok?
    5) Chiller: I don't need this.. right?

Thanks for looking at my post. Am gonna start shopping soon (already started looking but not sure what fits my needs for my visions of Forgotten World/Bonsai tree garden) so it would be great to get a clearer idea of what I need so I wont get the wrong thing, resulting in deaths (failure at first try is very discouraging lah).

Have a good day, and thanks all!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First-timer here! Hoping to make a little Forgotten World/Bonsai garden

2ft tank = Good tank size to start with.

Substrate = ADA Amazonia aquasoil, ideal for carpet plants.

Hang-on filter = Suitable, look for a larger hang-on filter for 2ft tank and position it to achieve good circulation (and not mess the soil and make craters in your substrate).

LED light = Suitable, for low tech setups most moderate powered LED lights around 15-20W will be sufficient. Make sure you get those designed for planted tanks (check other tank setup journals to see what others have used successfully).

Chiller = Not necessary for planted tanks, but if you have the extra budget and space, good to have.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    2ft tank = Good tank size to start with.

Substrate = ADA Amazonia aquasoil, ideal for carpet plants.

Hang-on filter = Suitable, look for a larger hang-on filter for 2ft tank and position it to achieve good circulation (and not mess the soil and make craters in your substrate).

LED light = Suitable, for low tech setups most moderate powered LED lights around 15-20W will be sufficient. Make sure you get those designed for planted tanks (check other tank setup journals to see what others have used successfully).

Chiller = Not necessary for planted tanks, but if you have the extra budget and space, good to have.
    Thank u thank u thank u! That really helps to narrow down my search. Much appreciation!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh after even more searching, I realised what I wanted to describe had a name for it -- iwagumi tanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

All the best in the tank set up, perhaps a fan instead of chiller could help reduce your temperature for you carpet plants to tolerate

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Bonsaidriftwood.com has some bonsai trees that you can put in your tank to recreate a bonsai garden

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk