Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where to buy Malayan shrimps in small quantities

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Difference between malayan and coloured shrimp are their size. Coloured shrimp are bigger while malayan are smaller. Other than that, i dont find the difference between the two.
    Coloured shrimps are real opportunities. They will nap on shrimps about to molt and trap them in their old shell to eat. Yes they eat the shrimps alive. Thats why i separate my bm with coloured.

Thats the observation i have. Malayan also have shorter nose rostrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh. That doesn't sound good. I have 35 colours with 20 rilis in my 2 ft. Lots of hiding spots though. It's kind of hard to remove them now that they can hide inside the nooks and crannies. Have to hope for the best.

Do colour shrimps eat plants? I seem to notice the tips of my syngonanthus sp belem leaves being cut off. Or perhaps it could be due to my heavy trimming of the plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

They munch on rotting plants and some do actually eat the live plant. For mine, they did both therefore, my carpets plant getting lesser. In order to maintain my plants, i am forced to feed more regularly.

They will be attracted to the scent of their favourite food and they cannot resist it. Use a net to hold their favourite food and lure them.

Another method is putting all the food to the place where u can easily catch them without disturbing ur scape. I used both method to capture all 50-60 of them in a 1 ft planted tank. By then my bm left 3 only from initial 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you think if i keep the shrimps well-fed they won't prey on other shrimps? Right now I only have coloured shrimps in my tank but I might be thinking to add some variants of cherries at some point..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have Cherry and color shrimp mixed. So far, they live peacefully.

I believe color shrimps only go for melted and dying plants stems. I have color shrimps in 3 of my tanks, non eat any of my healthy plant or moss.

i seldom feed my shrimps, they are meant to feed on algae and melted plant.

In one of my stable tank, I try to grow algae during lighting period, there will be green algae on the drift wood and stones, When I wakes up the next morning, the algae are cleared. The cycle repeats everyday

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I got 50 malayan shrimps at seaview today for $13.50! I think its thr cheapest you can find - and it was so packed like ikea lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You may try Clementi! I've heard quite a lot of that place!
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, i just got a female malayan shrimp laying her babies the moment i placed her in the tank...will the larvaes survived? I see other shrimps swimming around like trying to eat them or smth...

will the female shrimp die after laying the larvaes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jermseah View Post
    Guys, i just got a female malayan shrimp laying her babies the moment i placed her in the tank...will the larvaes survived? I see other shrimps swimming around like trying to eat them or smth...

will the female shrimp die after laying the larvaes?
    as long as your water parameter is stable, the female shrimp will survive.

For the larvaes, think the other shrimps are not eating it. I went through the same process when my Malaya shrimp gave birth last month, but after 3 weeks, also most larvae disappeared, Think is due to the lack of dead spots in my tank filtration.

But 1 good news, last night found quite a number of shrimplets after I do some replanting of my existing rotala, so still trying to figure out is it from my Malaya or fire red as they are still colorless.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what are dead spots? i dont use any filter though...

Quote Originally Posted by simbk View Post
    as long as your water parameter is stable, the female shrimp will survive.

For the larvaes, think the other shrimps are not eating it. I went through the same process when my Malaya shrimp gave birth last month, but after 3 weeks, also most larvae disappeared, Think is due to the lack of dead spots in my tank filtration.

But 1 good news, last night found quite a number of shrimplets after I do some replanting of my existing rotala, so still trying to figure out is it from my Malaya or fire red as they are still colorless.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan shrimp larvae are very weak swimmers, usually with a strong filtration system that circulates water well, where there are no dead-spots (ie. areas with low or no circulation), most of the malayan shrimp larvae will tend to get sucked into the filter and get chopped up (even if a shrimp sponge/mesh guard is attached to the intake, the larvae are still too small to keep out).

On the other-hand, if you use gentle sponge filters or go without a filter, then you will tend to see much higher survival rates of the larvae, as they will be in a safe environment to successfully transition to shrimplet form.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see alot of larvae swimming up and down at the front of my tank, and there seem to be many more female shrimps full of eggs! really quite fascinating to watch; but not sure how long they'll take to transform into baby shrimps..

thanks Urban Aquaria for recommending Seaview.. i went there yesterday and it was really PACKed...

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Malayan shrimp larvae are very weak swimmers, usually with a strong filtration system that circulates water well, where there are no dead-spots (ie. areas with low or no circulation), most of the malayan shrimp larvae will tend to get sucked into the filter and get chopped up (even if a shrimp sponge/mesh guard is attached to the intake, the larvae are still too small to keep out).

On the other-hand, if you use gentle sponge filters or go without a filter, then you will tend to see much higher survival rates of the larvae, as they will be in a safe environment to successfully transition to shrimplet form.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I need about 10 Malayan shrimp... Anyone here selling or know where to get?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Need for hair algae.... Only guppies in tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fishy business or aquatic avenue sometimes have them. Seaview Sells in bulk but you can request them to sell you in small quantities too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks... will check later

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Y618 has it too. They call them colour shrimps. Sometimes they have it in bags of 10 or bags of 50. Good to call first.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

will check when passing by

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Upping thread after almost 2 years ....anyone spotted any LFS with Malayan shirmps lately? Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chinsm View Post
    Upping thread after almost 2 years ....anyone spotted any LFS with Malayan shirmps lately? Thanks
    Seaview nanyang has them sometimes
    JG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast