Country
    Singapore

Another newbie with 2ft planted intentions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I have been lurking around here a for a few weeks looking at random threads. So im almost done doing tht and will be embarking on the planning stage of setting up this tank.

I would like create a Iwugami tank adding livestock like cardinals and neon tetras at a later stage when the water has stabilized.

Can i ask what are the main water testers and what not i would need at this stage?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Another newbie with 2ft planted intentions

Suckerfish no eat poo poo.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the reply. coincidentally. I read tht exact page few hours ago.
    going thru the page again. I dont see a list of testers tht i may need example: ammonia tester?
    Last edited by exo; 25th Feb 2016 at 17:15.
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

During the very initial stage, you may need to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and make sure you get constant zero reading for ammonia and nitrite before you can add in livestock. The most popular tester (at least in this forum frm what i observed) would be API brand and you can get API freshwater master test kit for less than $60 in most lfs in Sg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Seasoning a tank need not be complicated or expensive.
    What is needed is the patience to wait and wait... for many weeks.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Agreed with you. Doing water test is mainly to know when the tank is fully cycled and then put in livestock at the right time. But if time and patience is not an concern, then just wait for 1 month+ (i presume TS is using amazonia soil) for the new tank to fully cycled. Of course the duration also depends a lot on others factors like using old biomedia frm matured tank, water change frequency, etc.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok. so it's safe to say tht the API kit ia all I need to tell me when the tank is ready to accept livestock.
    yeah most likely will go with amazonia and new caniater filter (mechnical and active carborn) to start yhe tank. also intend to kick start the ammonia cycle with fish food flakes.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The API master kit is the basic test kit. You can add kh&gh tester if you are trying to keep sensitive shrimp or if you want to know these parameters too even it is not for shrimp tank.
    You may not need to add ammonia source as amazonia soil (new soil) will release ammonia to the water column too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so API master kit it will be...
    Now I need to hunt for hardware, with so many choices available, I can't decide on it, maybe u guys with experience can give me a better insight on these. will be setting up a 2ft tank mainly consisting of carpeting plants and maybe hairgrass, livestock will be the cardinal and neon tetras and maybe some shrimps later on.

Substrate: can I mix soil from 2 diff brands to save on cost?

Canister filter: Ehiem, fluva, atman, shiruba, up aqua.. which of these would be a wiser choice in the long run?

I did note tht the continental brands has lower power consumption., apart from tht what else should I be looking at? any recommendations?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Technically for short answer is yes for mixing soil with different brands. But many will suggest to go with amazonia soil for an easier life to begin with for beginner, especially aqua planting has a steep learning curve and there are many other things need to be experienced and learnt frm it. Once you gain the knowledge, you can try many other soils or even diy them with top soil and clays.
    As for the canister, the famous brand will be eheim, due to it is cost effective and you can almost find every single spare part locally (if not the world).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

anyone can share if eheim experience 250 (2424) is worth buying?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    so API master kit it will be...
    Now I need to hunt for hardware, with so many choices available, I can't decide on it, maybe u guys with experience can give me a better insight on these. will be setting up a 2ft tank mainly consisting of carpeting plants and maybe hairgrass, livestock will be the cardinal and neon tetras and maybe some shrimps later on.

Substrate: can I mix soil from 2 diff brands to save on cost?

Canister filter: Ehiem, fluva, atman, shiruba, up aqua.. which of these would be a wiser choice in the long run?

I did note tht the continental brands has lower power consumption., apart from tht what else should I be looking at? any recommendations?
    My 2 cents on this, do not be penny wise pounds foolish. I have gone through what you are about to go through now. At the moment when you are about to consolidate your setup, it may seem pricey to get all the 'good' stuff like ADA soil, Eheim filter, etc etc. But if you compromise on quality, not only you might end up changing equipment, which is easy but to change your tank soil and such will be a real pain. If you are into this for long and deep, then invest that little more. Like i say, my 2 cents, different folks different strokes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    My 2 cents on this, do not be penny wise pounds foolish. I have gone through what you are about to go through now. At the moment when you are about to consolidate your setup, it may seem pricey to get all the 'good' stuff like ADA soil, Eheim filter, etc etc. But if you compromise on quality, not only you might end up changing equipment, which is easy but to change your tank soil and such will be a real pain. If you are into this for long and deep, then invest that little more. Like i say, my 2 cents, different folks different strokes.
    i know what u mean, thts why my sights for canister filter have been shifting up the price list to german made...lol...

my choice of soil will be the popular ADA amazonia so was thinking of mixing 2 brands of soil to lower cost as I may need more then 9kg of soil..anymore 2cents to spare?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you are not in hurry, i suggest you can get 1 pack of 9L soil first and it may be sufficient for you to create iwagumi style. alternatively, you can use stone/rocks and place them underneath the soil so that you can 'stack' up the soil and save some of it. Then if really not enough soil, you can get another pack of soil as the last resort of solution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

which of these will be a bettwr choice eheim experience 250 (2424) or classic 250 (2113)
    also wondering if the classic has no media basket.. means we have to use "tea bag" to hold it into seperate section?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have been using a 2nd hand 2213 which was manufactured in year 2011 and it is still running in my tank. I did not use any mesh bag and I have no issue with separating the media. My bottom layer is 1 litre of PowerHouse ceramic rings, then blue coarse sponge filter, followed by 1.5 litre of seachem matrix and lastly the white fine sponge filter. You may not want to use a bag with fine holes for your bottom layer as it might affect the efficiency as the ceramic rings are there to trap debris from the inflow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hmmm... then I guess the classics are jus as good even without media baskets... but classics dun come with filter medias right? so if ibadd on the cost to the canister... wontbit come up to abt the same?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For the Eheim Classic models, you will also need to get a set of double taps to install on the inflow and outflow hoses, that will allow you to adjust the flow rate and also detach them easily for maintenance. They are very useful items, but can add quite abit to the overall cost. So you have to factor those in too. In some cases, the overall cost could add up to the same or more than the Pro series models.

The Pro Experience series models all come with inbuilt taps so you don't need to buy those extra items. They also come with media baskets which makes everything easier to assemble and maintain.

Both model series usually come packaged with all the necessary stock bio-media, so you don't need to buy them separately.

Do note that the Experience 250 has much higher flow rate at 700 l/ph compared to the Classic 2213 at 440 l/ph. Usually for planted tanks you would want to go for higher flow rates to generate better circulation around the tank. Recommended flow rate is around 8x-10x the overall tank water volume.

Plants have no legs or hands so they depend on water flow to bring the essential Co2 and nutrient supplies to them. Higher flow and circulation helps to encourage better plant growth.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh I thought it comes with the double tap. was watching unboxing of 2213 on youtube and all of them has double taps. .. if it doesn't. .. then I guess the 2424/2034 is a better buy then...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone can help ID these rocks? safe for use in tank?

and this

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast