Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Another newbie with 2ft planted intentions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    1st 3 pictures look like black lava rocks. They are inert. So it's safe for use. Not too sure about the last 3 though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Zep thanks for IDing... glad to know the black ones are inert...now to srub off the stubborn mud at some corners. ..
    any other sifu can ID these buggers?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so... I have decided on my filter and bought a eheim classic 350 (2215) with default media and an additional pair of 12/16 double taps. would like to ask u guys;
    1) do I need to purchase other additional filter media? it already ce with blue, white and black sponge, bio rings and ceramic balls.
    2) are there suitable transparent hoses to match glasswares instead of using the green ones provided ?
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    so... I have decided on my filter and bought a eheim classic 350 (2215) with default media and an additional pair of 12/16 double taps. would like to ask u guys;
    1) do I need to purchase other additional filter media? it already ce with blue, white and black sponge, bio rings and ceramic balls.
    2) are there suitable transparent hoses to match glasswares instead of using the green ones provided ?
    You can just use the stock eheim bio-media and sponges that come packaged with the filter, those will be sufficient. Though if you have the extra budget and want to get better types of bio-media, just do some research online and shop around for other brands of media which can help improve filtration efficiency.

For transparent filter hoses, you can look at getting those from ADA or Chihiros brand, check at LFS that specialize in aquascaping equipment like Fishy Business, Aquatic Avenue, SunPets etc.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks @ Urban Aquaria again for the info

I guess ill stick to whatever is given for the filter media. will replace when its due for change then
    Was also wondering if hoses used on out filters can be replaced by common hoses frond in hardware stores?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess you could try using those common garden hoses sold at hardware stores, just have to find the ones that can fit the canister filters and pipes securely. Make sure the hoses are specified to be usable for supplying potable/drinking water.

Some people try not to use unknown garden hoses though, because of possible issues with chemicals and plasticizers used in those hoses. The leached chemicals might be toxic to some livestock. I guess thats more of a concern to those who are keeping sensitive fishes and shrimps.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

noted. with thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does anyone here who use a
    External Co2 reactor attach a double tap at the outflow of unit?
    Initially bought 2 sets of taps. After getting down to lay the hoses, felt the a 3rd tap should be there. What you guys think?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am using the same CO2 reactor and no, it is directly connected to the inflow or outflow, the only place I have taps are just out of the filter, both in and out lines.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Kermit, what happens when you need to "service" the reactor? Ever found yourself in such situation?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

not yet...as I see it, there is really nothing much to service the reactor...it's not nuclear, i hope.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Anyway, when you shut off all the taps from the filter...the rest can be disconnected without problem; you just lose a bit of residual water in the lines, thats all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi exo,

Good to see your cabinet setup. I think double taps is good for servicing purpose since some equipment can be isolated without much messy. I have not used it in my system since I know about it a bit late.

For the CO2 reactor, I think it would be installed as close to the canister filter as possible so that CO2 can be mixed well in the outflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

to me, more joints means more possibility for leak...but that's just me thoughts, you weigh the pros and cons

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Actually to save cost and risk of having another tap, you can have the tap after the CO2 reactor...
    means when you off the tap, you can remove the reactor or filter without a problem.

where did you get the rocks from ?Maybe you should do some test before adding them to your tank.. vinegar test , water parameter test etc just to be on the safe side.
    Do the test first before adding to your tank just to minimise the risk of rescape when things start to go well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Hi exo,

Good to see your cabinet setup. I think double taps is good for servicing purpose since some equipment can be isolated without much messy. I have not used it in my system since I know about it a bit late.

For the CO2 reactor, I think it would be installed as close to the canister filter as possible so that CO2 can be mixed well in the outflow.
    Yeah, last night i installed the 2 taps i have on hand directly before and after in/out flow at canister, as i progressed further upwards towards the tank.. i realized that i could actually use a double tap at the reactor's outflow thus, asking for opinions here. Its been a slow and steady progress for me, it could have been a one-shot-do-it-all thing but having kids around while you try to do setup is not ideal..so will have to progressively do it up alittle a night after they are gone to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Hi,

Actually to save cost and risk of having another tap, you can have the tap after the CO2 reactor...
    means when you off the tap, you can remove the reactor or filter without a problem.

where did you get the rocks from ?Maybe you should do some test before adding them to your tank.. vinegar test , water parameter test etc just to be on the safe side.
    Do the test first before adding to your tank just to minimise the risk of rescape when things start to go well.
    I did think of tht, but tht would mean i have to bring the reactor along when i wanna wash the canister right?

Got the rocks from Jalan Lekar, these rocks are commonly seen in LFS but cost much more, buy from LFS without sun and rain and mosquito, no risk of rocks falling on your feet. Went there with my eldest son(4years) both of us end up getting sun, rain and mosquito bites. (bought abt 40kg of rocks for $36)
    After washing of mud from the grey rocks i did a PH test (tested my own water PH level, and tested the water tht the rock was soaked it) - No diff after 5days. I guess it should be safe since LFS are selling them.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit13sg View Post
    to me, more joints means more possibility for leak...but that's just me thoughts, you weigh the pros and cons
    Yeah i understand what you mean, more parts more chances of failure. now the cons and pro seem to be same weight.. FML.. lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

so when you wash your canister, wash your reactor as well.. else just let the water run out and disconnect the reactor from the canister .

I've been to the rock distributor once and went home with a bag of black lava rocks.. I did not go and choose with the uncle..

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post

I did think of tht, but tht would mean i have to bring the reactor along when i wanna wash the canister right?

Got the rocks from Jalan Lekar, these rocks are commonly seen in LFS but cost much more, buy from LFS without sun and rain and mosquito, no risk of rocks falling on your feet. Went there with my eldest son(4years) both of us end up getting sun, rain and mosquito bites. (bought abt 40kg of rocks for $36)
    After washing of mud from the grey rocks i did a PH test (tested my own water PH level, and tested the water tht the rock was soaked it) - No diff after 5days. I guess it should be safe since LFS are selling them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lol.. No need uncle lah. Ask the worker where are the rocks and go hunt..now thinking of smashing the black lava rocks smaller pcs for filler below substrate instead of buying another pack.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hehe thats a good idea... maybe do it with a chisel?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The lava rocks seems to be "soft" feels like it could be smashed apart using a ordinary hammer. Will try after deciding on which rocks to use

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast