Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Another newbie with 2ft planted intentions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    @Urban Aquaria is it too late to use the anti algae in my tank now? I'm thinking to dose it one time to kill them all

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    @Urban Aquaria is it too late to use the anti algae in my tank now? I'm thinking to dose it one time to kill them all
    Sure, you can dose anti-algae treatment during this period too. Just follow the bottle recommended dosages.

After you complete the treatment, do a series of large water changes and perhaps also add a pack of good quality activated carbon into the filter to remove the chemicals. Some livestock may be sensitive to accumulated levels of the chemicals so its better to clear it out beforehand.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Then again... Would your original advise(finish tank cycle) and using livestock to clear the algae be better? Just weighing my options here as I do not want to wait till it's to late.. I'm only in day 2 and I see this...

Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Day 2 - 1st water parameters taken. Looks normal to me. Comments?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Day 2 - 1st water parameters taken. Looks normal to me. Comments?

I think that is normal since Ammonia is higher concentration at the beginning. Did you use any bacteria support?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. Bacterlife.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I used BacterLife and at the beginning my Nitrite also very high. Now it is zero. But Ammonia is still high. All we need is patient again. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Then again... Would your original advise(finish tank cycle) and using livestock to clear the algae be better? Just weighing my options here as I do not want to wait till it's to late.. I'm only in day 2 and I see this...
    Yeah, thats the usual practice, those algae you see commonly appear in new tanks during the cycling period, but they are also one of the easier algae types to clear because shrimps will consume them quickly... so you could also just let the tank cycle and then add shrimps in to manage it. That works too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Noted with thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In my 2 ft low profile tank with HC, during the first 2 weeks, I was over dosing my fertilizer, pumping my Co2 and extreme high lights to get the HC to root down. Algae is bound to set in, so I have was dosing Algae exit. True enough, I was clear of Algae.

After the HC is rooted and carpeting, 3 days before I put in shrimps, I stopped the Algae exit dosing and let the shrimp takeover. In my opnion, your priority is to get the HC rooted and carpet, you need highlight and Fertilzer, without any life stocks you can do that. For me dosing Algae Exit have being effective in keeping algae out. Infact, I found Algae exit to be relatively mild, just 2 days ago, I found brown algae and slight green water, even with shrimps and fishes in it, I dose algae exit and my live stock is ok and green water is gone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    I used BacterLife and at the beginning my Nitrite also very high. Now it is zero. But Ammonia is still high. All we need is patient again. Haha.

I'm bad at being patient for things like this..lol..
    Btw, I pm-ed you via tapatalk on this forum regarding the timers, did u see it? Anyway is resolved.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I didn't see your message. I guess you have the same type of timer as mine? Setting that up just follow the instructions given and it will be fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I guess as much. Yeah I followed the instructions and was blured when i saw on off auto... Didn't know which mode to set it at, but figured it out already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

U applied active carbon to your tank after you stopped the anti algae?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I guess as much. Yeah I followed the instructions and was blured when i saw on off auto... Didn't know which mode to set it at, but figured it out already.

Me too, didn't really know what is that at first but that button is very useful. We can use that to turn on/off the light/CO2 at anytime when it is in use/not in use for the timer program.

Btw, I did not use AlgExit and activated carbon filter for my tank. I think you can plant some fast growing plants to absorb the nutrients and it will overtake it from algae, too. You can remove that plants later if you don't like. Can also download the app "Tropica" for the guidance on the first 90days for reference.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh no.. Just got back from work and saw my grass turning brown...what is going on? Help!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since the hairgrass are still newly planted, its the transition effect... its normal to see some melting in the older/damaged grass blades. Just remove the brown bits as part of clean up.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am curious, was your HC pearling on the very first day you started plant? And it continue to pearl everyday during lights on period? What is your water depth and CO2 bps?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Since the hairgrass are still newly planted, its the transition effect... its normal to see some melting in the older/damaged grass blades. Just remove the brown bits as part of clean up.
    UA, I am kinda surprise, my Japan sp hairgrass and normal hairgrass never went true transition stage, HC, MC and other plants do go through it, but does Hairgrass have transition period?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    UA, I am kinda surprise, my Japan sp hairgrass and normal hairgrass never went true transition stage, HC, MC and other plants do go through it, but does Hairgrass have transition period?
    Sometimes they do, it just depends on the health and condition of the hairgrass (and also whether they are submersed or emersed versions)... some batches adapt faster than others. Usually its the parts that got damaged during planting that tend to melt.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast