Country
    Vietnam

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    It'll be good to do a large 50% water change to bring nitrates down to moderate 10-20ppm levels... that would create a more conducive tank environment for the introduction of new livestock.
    Thanks a lot, UA. I will do water change tonight to welcome the fishes. BTW, may I know how long can I keep them in the plastic bag until I introduce them to the new tank?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Thanks a lot, UA. I will do water change tonight to welcome the fishes. BTW, may I know how long can I keep them in the plastic bag until I introduce them to the new tank?
    As short a time as possible would be best... the less time the fishes stay in the bag, the less amount of waste and toxic levels building up in the bag water.

For me i usually visit the LFS to purchase fishes and shrimps when i'm on the way home, so that the livestock are only in the bag for at most an hour (or less) before being acclimated and transferred into a tank.

Whatever you do, remember not to leave them in a car parked under the hot sun, thats a quick way to end up with poached fishes and shrimps.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I bought them during lunch time and now they are in my office. Hope they are not poached until I am home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"Passionately Curious"

I bought them during lunch time and now they are in my office. Hope they are not poached until I am home.

Can tell your level of excitement from the fact that you spent your lunch time to buy fishes HAHAHA

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post

Can tell your level of excitement from the fact that you spent your lunch time to buy fishes HAHAHA
    I tried to go home ASAP and just put them in the tank. No casualty yet but one fish look tired. Hope they will be OK. Next time I will try to get it during weekends. That would be faster to bring home.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ever considered going after work instead?
    I always get mine after work after dinner then head home immediately.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

No choice bro. Need to fetch the kid after work. Then go back no energy to go out for hunting fish already.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

"Passionately Curious"

Ahh I see. Life of a family man. I'm still far from there . My girlfriend follows me to the LFS to get my fishes together after dinner haha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Ahh I see. Life of a family man. I'm still far from there . My girlfriend follows me to the LFS to get my fishes together after dinner haha
    How I miss bachelor life! Lol! That is great you start early! Haha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How I miss bachelor life! Lol! That is great you start early! Haha!
    It's not great at all... I'm using my hard earned money from my temporary job when you're young, you're poor...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

That is even greater and you will have story to tell your kids later on, how Daddy start as a planted tank hobbyist! More importantly, that is a great hobby!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hey Jacky and Ryan, I am another one of those that buy fishes during lunch time. Seaview have 2 tanks of pretty nice coloration XL Cardinal Tetra, I choice four of the reddest one already, still have plenty to choose. There are nice red red Chery Barbs too .

i am going down to GC in a while to pick up some wild Cardinal which I saw 2 days ago, after that I can compare between wild caught and bred Cardinal

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Hey Jacky and Ryan, I am another one of those that buy fishes during lunch time. Seaview have 2 tanks of pretty nice coloration XL Cardinal Tetra, I choice four of the reddest one already, still have plenty to choose. There are nice red red Chery Barbs too .

i am going down to GC in a while to pick up some wild Cardinal which I saw 2 days ago, after that I can compare between wild caught and bred Cardinal
    Sounds interesting!!! Really fun sourcing around the LFS. Haha!

I have bought 3 Otocinclus as my first fishes. Those fishes are quite sensitive as what I have known. But let see how it goes.

After 50% water change, Nitrate Level decreased remarkably to 10-20ppm.

I dip the plastic bag in the tank for a while and net out the fishes and released them to the tank.

After an hour, otos started eating around already I guess. I can only see 2 of them. Don't know where is another guy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Oh. By the way, how do I know if my otos need to be fed? Or just leave them eating algae first?

I have bought the algae wafers in case they need some.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

ok confirm big difference between wild caught and farm bred. The wild caught is 3 times the price but coloration is also 3 times better

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry Jacky, hijack your thread again, I got several request to post a comparison. Tried my best to take the photo, but still turn out blurr. Maybe it's good enough for coloration comparison.

make a guess one of the Cardinal Tetra is the reddest I can find at Seaview. The other 2 have just being bought at GC.

Which is farm bred, which 2 is wild caught?

image.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry Jacky, hijack your thread again, I got several request to post a comparison. Tried my best to take the photo, but still turn out blurr. Maybe it's good enough for coloration comparison.

make a guess one of the Cardinal Tetra is the reddest I can find at Seaview. The other 2 have just being bought at GC.

Which is farm bred, which 2 is wild caught?

image.jpg
    If I'm not wrong... 1 is a neon tetra which is the one with lesser red (the one from seaview) and the other 2 are cardinal tetras with full red (from GC).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Ryan, all 3 are Cardinal, Neon Tetra only have red from half body to the tail where Cardinal have red on the lower body from head to tail.

And yes, the paler Red is from Seaview. Seaview is using pink light which makes their Cadinal looks more red. My lights are all white plant lights, it really pales in comparison with the wild caught. I will try to groom it and let's see if the Seaview Cardinal can catch up in terms of color.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The one in the middle looks like a neon tetra to me haha.
    Anyway, how do you groom the cardinals to let them have a full solid red?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

You are welcome Realcaster! Please spam more. It is great thing about this hobby is we can have this platform to share and exchange experience.

And yes, all of them are Cardinal Tetra. Quite surprise they can be much different in colour like that. I am looking toward seeing the grooming tetras! Please share with us your plan. Haha!