Country
    Vietnam

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I would like to share a video taken on my three musketeers Otocinclus affinis (?). One has round belly, I think he is full. The other two is quite skinny but I saw them keep grazing around.

http://youtu.be/nKIxJg_Jh9s

Just their second day in the tank. I hope they stay healthy and acclimate to the new home soon.

I put the algae wafers in the tank but they seems do not know about it. I just leave it overnight to see how it goes. I think for now they can find enough food around the grass.

I do not want to overstock the tank so just let three of them here first. The next batch may he some Amano shrimps since I just want to introduce the "janitor crew" to be in first.

Please advise me if I need to take note anything on feeding my Otos. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Usually otos don't need to be feed additional food in a densely planted tank, there should be plenty of algae and bio-film on all surfaces... but its okay to supplement their diet with algae wafers slices too. You can also try feeding slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini.

I find that the larger surface areas of vegetable slices tend to be easier for new otos to find compared to algae wafers, and vegetables can usually be left in the tank for up to 48 hours before they rot, so the otos have time to graze, whereas uneaten algae wafers break apart and start rotting after 2-3 hours, so need to do more frequent clean ups.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Usually otos don't need to be feed additional food in a densely planted tank, there should be plenty of algae and bio-film on all surfaces... but its okay to supplement their diet with algae wafers slices too. You can also try feeding slices of blanched cucumber or zucchini.

I find that the larger surface areas of vegetable slices tend to be easier for new otos to find compared to algae wafers, and vegetables can usually be left in the tank for up to 48 hours before they rot, so the otos have time to graze, whereas uneaten algae wafers break apart and start rotting after 2-3 hours, so need to do more frequent clean ups.
    To add on, although it may sound a little troublesome to cut up some Cucumber and blanch them then freeze the remaining, but really, would you rather see Otos eating algae wafer or grazing on a slice of fresh cucumber?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My OTO feed on wafer just like the one you bought

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Oh I see. Thanks UA. I put 2 wafers in the tank and they didn't eat it at all. When I tried to take out, it was to soft and messed all around so I can only managed to get few pieces out. Hope it will not spoil the water. Next time I should put it in the disc or something, so easier to take out.

I will try the cucumber next time since I also like to eat cucumber, so some slides for them and the rest is for me. Haha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    To add on, although it may sound a little troublesome to cut up some Cucumber and blanch them then freeze the remaining, but really, would you rather see Otos eating algae wafer or grazing on a slice of fresh cucumber?
    Wafers are too small bro. May be we need to train them how to know this is the food first. Hehe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    My OTO feed on wafer just like the one you bought
    Your Otos like it? I saw the ingredients and feel it is better than my breakfast!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you have 3 OTO, the potion should be around half the size of the wafer, break it into half.

I feed them on alternate days or some times once in 3 days. It's enough to keep them going, and they need to work on no food days

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

If you have 3 OTO, the potion should be around half the size of the wafer, break it into half.

I feed them on alternate days or some times once in 3 days. It's enough to keep them going, and they need to work on no food days
    Thanks for your advice. I also would like to see them working on the algae around the tank and not lazy waiting for additional food. For now, I think they have plenty of food around the tank since they are the first citizen in it. They are very small and also very hardworking.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All, I would like to check if I still need to add on BacterLife when the tank already cycled? Or only need to add when I see ammonia or nitrite appear again? Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All!

I am very tempted to buy a bunch of school fish (i.e. Espei Rasbora). How many of them should I take at once? Is this 10 is too many for one time stock? Appreciate your advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

In theory you should not need to add bacteria solutions once your tank has established a stable cycle... the natural beneficial bacteria colonies should be able to adjust and maintain their population based on the bio-load.

Though if you increase the bio-load by adding alot more livestock or add medications or do more extensive tank/filter cleaning, then it can be beneficial to dose some bacteria solutions help in maintaining the cycle.

As for your otos, they will eventually learn to eat algae wafers, some learn faster than others. Once they recognise the algae wafers as food (along with fish and shrimp food too), you will see the otos swarm to the wafers and pellets as soon as you drop them in.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Jacky depending on your current bioload, whether you're currently lightly stocked and are not at risk of overloading. Another consideration is you want to trial a particular species, so adding a few to observe their behaviour and decide if you wish to add more. Sometimes you just want to shop around for the best specimen you can find, hence you progressively add them.

If non of the above is a concern to you, go ahead and add them. 10 is a good number to start for Espei IMO. I started with 17 for my 2 feet and find it too crowded, I've gave away some and kept 10 with the most coloration potential. Unfortunately 3 has jumped and I'm left with 7, and they remain very active schoolers.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

In theory you should not need to add bacteria solutions once your tank has established a stable cycle... the natural beneficial bacteria colonies should be able to adjust and maintain their population based on the bio-load.

Though if you increase the bio-load by adding alot more livestock or add medications or do more extensive tank/filter cleaning, then it can be beneficial to dose some bacteria solutions help in maintaining the cycle.

As for your otos, they will eventually learn to eat algae wafers, some learn faster than others. Once they recognise the algae wafers as food (along with fish and shrimp food too), you will see the otos swarm to the wafers and pellets as soon as you drop them in.
    Thanks UA for your advice. In that case I will consider to dose BacterLife after increasing livestock/cleaning filter than.

For now, I can see the Otos are really naive, they happy grazing around the tank glass, driftwoods and and stones. They are really small and cute!!! I don't know if algae wafers would spoil their habit of eating algae. Haha!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Choo View Post
    @Jacky depending on your current bioload, whether you're currently lightly stocked and are not at risk of overloading. Another consideration is you want to trial a particular species, so adding a few to observe their behaviour and decide if you wish to add more. Sometimes you just want to shop around for the best specimen you can find, hence you progressively add them.

If non of the above is a concern to you, go ahead and add them. 10 is a good number to start for Espei IMO. I started with 17 for my 2 feet and find it too crowded, I've gave away some and kept 10 with the most coloration potential. Unfortunately 3 has jumped and I'm left with 7, and they remain very active schoolers.
    I am the extreme guy again, my previous heavily planted 2ft tank have 35 Rummy nose, 5 OTO, 2 Zebra OTO, 2 SAE, 6 Cories, 5 Dwarf Cories, 50 Color Shrimps. Fishes are happy with no diease or death. It was only when i transfer them to my 4ft tank than I realised i have that many fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your advice. My stock is now quite light with only 3 small Otos. I will check the water quality tonight to see if it is fine to add more stock. Honestly, I am a bit lazy to shop around the LFS just to choose the best one. I feel the school fish always looks nice together. So I might take all at one shop.

Oh, about the fish jump, do I need to put tank cover on top? I normally change the water and top up to the top rim of the tank, hence no space to put the cover. So to put cover, I need to lower down the water level. I also don't wanna see the cover on top of the tank too. It looks a bit ugly in my opinion.
    The three Otos are now only exploring the tank bottom, I never see them go up to the top. So I don't need to worry about them.

So now I don't know if I should buy the Amano shrimps first or Espei Rasbora.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I am the extreme guy again, my previous heavily planted 2ft tank have 35 Rummy nose, 5 OTO, 2 Zebra OTO, 2 SAE, 6 Cories, 5 Dwarf Cories, 50 Color Shrimps. Fishes are happy with no diease or death. It was only when i transfer them to my 4ft tank than I realised i have that many fishes.
    Oh man. That sounds like 200% percents overloaded according to the guidelines. Haha! May be I am just worried too much. When I was a kid, I stock all my fishes in my home rain water tank, they lived happily. Haha. Now knowing a bit more, a bit more worries.

BTW, I saw Aquatic Avenue selling Goldline Corydoras. It looks very cute!! Really want to have them too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Jacky, I don't like the idea of tank cover for reasons you've mentioned. Generally we get by without one, unless keeping fish that are prone to 'jumping'. Most fishes ain't. I figure mine jumped due to bad water parameters (stirring up dirt), species incompatibility (bullying) and initial shock (fish can't get used to environment, lights going off spooking the fish). I also attribute this to luck. I have most fish suicides when I went away for many days. Nowadays I hardly get jumpers. In the future if I were to stock new fish with jumping potential, I may use a temporary cover to prevent casualty until they feel more at home.

I think you have a lot of wiggle room, so go ahead and stock 'em. I will get the Amano first, as they are great cleaning crews.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

haha jacky... i am using a 2217 filter, 5 litre of very good quality medias. The bio load is a balance between the bacteria colony size and feeding pattern. I am using a canister filter meant for 4ft tanks, technically speaking, the bioload it can handle should be similar to a 4ft tank. however due to the smaller tank volume, any spike in NH4 can be quick and fatal. So I am very careful and feed sparingly, 30% water change every week.

Now my Ehiem canister for 4 ft tank holds 11 litre of media, even more than Ehiem 2080 which holds 8 litre

My previous experience in keeping BIG fishes taught me there can never be too big a filter, as long as it can fit under your cabinet.
    Last edited by Realcaster; 14th Apr 2016 at 15:09.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

@Jacky, I don't like the idea of tank cover for reasons you've mentioned. Generally we get by without one, unless keeping fish that are prone to 'jumping'. Most fishes ain't. I figure mine jumped due to bad water parameters (stirring up dirt), species incompatibility (bullying) and initial shock (fish can't get used to environment, lights going off spooking the fish). I also attribute this to luck. I have most fish suicides when I went away for many days. Nowadays I hardly get jumpers. In the future if I were to stock new fish with jumping potential, I may use a temporary cover to prevent casualty until they feel more at home.

I think you have a lot of wiggle room, so go ahead and stock 'em. I will get the Amano first, as they are great cleaning crews.
    Thanks Ivan. Good advice from experience! And I will get Amano shrimps (x6) first as planned. Just so excited to stock more but need to hold my horses!