Country
    Vietnam

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    haha jacky... i am using a 2217 filter, 5 litre of very good quality medias. The bio load is a balance between the bacteria colony size and feeding pattern. I am using a canister filter meant for 4ft tanks, technically speaking, the bioload it can handle should be similar to a 4ft tank. however due to the smaller tank volume, any spike in NH4 can be quick and fatal. So I am very careful and feed sparingly, 30% water change every week.

Now my Ehiem canister for 4 ft tank holds 11 litre of media, even more than Ehiem 2080 which holds 8 litre

My previous experience in keeping BIG fishes taught me there can never be too big a filter, as long as it can fit under your cabinet.
    No wonder it can bear your heavy livestock! I really admire your work on modify the filter and other equipment. That should be great experiments! Thumbs up!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I bought 4 otos initially and later I only found 3 in the tank... initially I thought the missing one is dead in a corner and being eaten.
    a few days later while doing some house cleaning, I shifted some of things on the floor and I found a dried oto... yes, they do jump out I think..
    Last edited by fireblade; 14th Apr 2016 at 15:34.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    I bought 4 otos initially and later I only found 3 in the tank... initially I thought the missing one is dead in a corner and being eaten.
    a few days later while doing some house cleaning, I shifted some of things on the floor and I found a dried oto... yes, they do jump out I think..
    Oh OK. I need to be careful then. Thanks fireblade!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I am very surprised by the productivity of the three Otos. They clean up the Stones until it is shiny bright!! Look at the photos before and after. Love them so much!

Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All,

I have done the test for water and here is the results:

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 40ppm
    pH: 6.4

Can see Nitrate level increase to 40ppm is normal these days. Does it mean I need to change water more frequently at this period? Like 2 times a week until Nitrate level keep at lower level? Thanks for your advice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

40ppm is still okay in a planted tank, though if you feel safer to maintain it at 10-20ppm, then just adjust your water change volumes and frequency to maintain lower levels.

As you add livestock and as the plant density grows out further, the nitrate production vs nitrate take-up rate will naturally keep changing too. So its just a matter of monitoring and adjusting accordingly.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    40ppm is still okay in a planted tank, though if you feel safer to maintain it at 10-20ppm, then just adjust your water change volumes and frequency to maintain lower levels.

As you add livestock and as the plant density grows out further, the nitrate production vs nitrate take-up rate will naturally keep changing too. So its just a matter of monitoring and adjusting accordingly.
    Thanks UA for your advice. I may need to do water change more frequently (every 2-3 days) and each time about 15% so that the fauna will not be shocked.

BTW, I have bought 3 Amano Shrimps and 3 Fire Red Shrimps to add in the tank. They are so cute and helpful. Almost immediately after added in the tank, they started roaming around and grazing on the woods and rocks for food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All,

I have put three Fire Red Shrimps in the tank but I can only see 2 of them. Don't know where is the other guy? It is too small and it can be hiding some where or may be RIP already?

This morning I saw one of the Amano shrimps was very active running around the tank and even try to climb out of the tank while other fishes and shrimps were still fine. Don't know what's wrong with it.

Shrimps hiding most of the time today in the cave and I see them rarely come out to play or eat outside. Hope they can get use to the new home soon.

Water test after add more fauna is still quite good

Ammonia: 0ppm
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Nitrate: 10-20ppm
    pH: 6.4

I have not changed water for about 5 days and Nitrate now is at quite reasonable level. Hope that is the good sign.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Jacky,
    It could be a sign of mating! When the Yamatos mate they get really hyped up and might seem to be trying to jump out of the aquarium. This is perfectly normal unless this persists for more than 2 weeks. You will see the Smaller Yamato (Male) try to piggyback the Bigger Yamato (Female) while chasing each other. So keep an eye on them but do not overreact for now.

Cheers!

Happydanio123
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Its normal to see shrimps sometimes hiding shortly after being introduced into a tank, usually its either they are preparing to molt (triggered by the change in environment) or have already molted, as they need abit of time to hide and wait for their new shells to harden before resuming activity.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Thanks happydanio123 and UA for your advice! I feel much better now knowing that. So glad that everyday I learn new things from here.

The shrimps after gone wild also don't know where already. Now I can only see 2 Amano shrimps and 2 Fire Red shrimps. Hope they are fine some where in the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Good morning to All!

I tried to put some frozen green peas (cover peeled off) to the tank last night. This morning I saw Amano shrimps and Fire Red shrimps were grazing on that. They eat quite fast and can see they really enjoy the treat.

The Otos on the other hand still do not recognize the pea as food yet, they still eating on rocks, driftwood and glass only. Don't know I should be happy or worry for that, in case the tank has no more algae then they would be hungry.

I still leave the pea for today day time to see how much the fauna can consume for a day. Normally how long can I keep live food in the tank? 24hrs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Good day everyone!

I have spotted 3 Fire Red shrimps finally, so headcount is alright.

The shrimps like green pea a lot. They finished almost all 2 peas in one day. I clear the left over end of the day.

I visited GC recently and look for the schooling fishes. I saw Espei Rasbora there but their colour was really pale and they did not school very well. I don't know if they would stay in pack when they are more settle in the new tank.

I was very impressed with Rummy Nose Tetra on the other hand. They really stay close to each other and school really well. I just wonder how big they can grow and if 2ft tank is too small for them.

Appreciate your suggestion on the schooling fish that is suitable. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Rummy Nose will grow big, you may want to rethink them. If you still want to get them, do consider the Platinum Sp. They have a good shine on their body, and is more vibrant. The normal Rummy Nose looks quite dull, despite their excellent schooling behaviour.

See http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...mmy-Nose-Tetra

The key to getting Espei to school is flow, they are directional schoolers that loves good flow.
    Last edited by Ivan Choo; 19th Apr 2016 at 10:37. Reason: Espei, flow

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if you absolutely want fishes that confirm school in a tight group, then go for rummy nose tetras.

I've kept various other schooling fishes and while they may school at the start or when startled, once they are comfortable in a tank they will eventually start to scatter and only shoal once in a while.

So far, rummy nose tetras are the only ones i've kept that continue schooling 80%-90% of the time, even when there is no one around they still school in tight formation.

For a 2ft tank, a group of 15-20 will be enough to create a nice school, pick the smaller sized ones so that they don't look too oversized at the beginning. It will take them some time to grow larger.

You can check out the size of rummy nose tetras in relation to my 2ft planted tank for reference (there are a mix of large and small tetras in the school):

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...589#post817589

As what ivan mentioned, go for the platinum variants for that extra sparkle.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 19th Apr 2016 at 12:29.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think the other one that schools super tightly is the Balloon Red Eye tetra. I used to have a 4ft tank and 100 of those tetras. And they really school very very tightly. They never separate from their school even after a few months.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

UA, nice to hear your rummy nose still schooling. Mine have gotten complacent. They only school when the net is in the water.

My Ember Tetra is still schooling tight in the other tank though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your suggestion. Platinum Rummy Nose Tetra looks great with their schooling ability! I am really impressed and only consider the size of it now. But after seeing it in UA's tank, I think I am more or less got my decision now. :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, if you absolutely want fishes that confirm school in a tight group, then go for rummy nose tetras.

I've kept various other schooling fishes and while they may school at the start or when startled, once they are comfortable in a tank they will eventually start to scatter and only shoal once in a while.

So far, rummy nose tetras are the only ones i've kept that continue schooling 80%-90% of the time, even when there is no one around they still school in tight formation.

For a 2ft tank, a group of 15-20 will be enough to create a nice school, pick the smaller sized ones so that they don't look too oversized at the beginning. It will take them some time to grow larger.

You can check out the size of rummy nose tetras in relation to my 2ft planted tank for reference (there are a mix of large and small tetras in the school):

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...589#post817589

As what ivan mentioned, go for the platinum variants for that extra sparkle.
    Hi UA,

Thanks for your suggestion. The platinum rummy nose tetras look amazing in your tank!
    I would like to ask if the video that you took was the time the rummy nose tetras were small size? How are they now in the big size? Will the tank looks very packed when they get bigger (max 5cm?)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    I think the other one that schools super tightly is the Balloon Red Eye tetra. I used to have a 4ft tank and 100 of those tetras. And they really school very very tightly. They never separate from their school even after a few months.
    Thanks Ryan. May I know how big the Red Eye Tetra can grown to? They look cute, too! ^^