Country
    Singapore

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Thanks Ryan. May I know how big the Red Eye Tetra can grown to? They look cute, too! ^^
    From what I remember, it's probably 3cm long at max.. But I'm not very sure! Can do some research about them. They're very cheap at Seaview too. The only downside is that their colours are pretty dull...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    From what I remember, it's probably 3cm long at max.. But I'm not very sure! Can do some research about them. They're very cheap at Seaview too. The only downside is that their colours are pretty dull...
    Thanks Ryan. I will keep it as one of the options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Ryan. I will keep it as one of the options.
    The Rummy nose are 2~3 cm in lenght when I bought them, it have being 3+months since I have them and they are averaging 4~5 cm now. Not sure if they will grow bigger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    The Rummy nose are 2~3 cm in lenght when I bought them, it have being 3+months since I have them and they are averaging 4~5 cm now. Not sure if they will grow bigger
    That is fast growing fishes! Haha! Do you have a photo to share?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That is fast growing fishes! Haha! Do you have a photo to share?
    I do have a abstract from Wiki here:

"The rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) is a species of tropical freshwater characin fish originating in South America, popular among fishkeepers as an aquarium fish. One of many small tetras belonging to the same genus, it is on average 5 cm (2 in) long when fully grown."

So I guess mine should still be growing

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA,

Thanks for your suggestion. The platinum rummy nose tetras look amazing in your tank!
    I would like to ask if the video that you took was the time the rummy nose tetras were small size? How are they now in the big size? Will the tank looks very packed when they get bigger (max 5cm?)?
    The ones in my photos and video were around 3-4cm size at the time of posting... i shifted them to another tank after a year and now they are around 4-5cm, still okay size for 2ft tank but if you are trying to enhance the scale perspective in a nature-style aquascape, then such larger sized fishes may break the illusion.

At the larger sizes they do look and school better in larger tanks (ie 3ft tanks and above), so i guess that can be something you could factor in, like if you are planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the future.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I do have a abstract from Wiki here:

"The rummy-nose tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus) is a species of tropical freshwater characin fish originating in South America, popular among fishkeepers as an aquarium fish. One of many small tetras belonging to the same genus, it is on average 5 cm (2 in) long when fully grown."

So I guess mine should still be growing
    Thanks Realcaster!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    The ones in my photos and video were around 3-4cm size at the time of posting... i shifted them to another tank after a year and now they are around 4-5cm, still okay size for 2ft tank but if you are trying to enhance the scale perspective in a nature-style aquascape, then such larger sized fishes may break the illusion.

At the larger sizes they do look and school better in larger tanks (ie 3ft tanks and above), so i guess that can be something you could factor in, like if you are planning to upgrade to a larger tank in the future.
    Thanks UA. Now I feel 2ft is already quite small. Haha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi All,

I have noticed the Eleocharis sp.'Mini' grass is kind of white shade recently. Is this lack of Iron sign? I have been dosing 1.25mL of Seachem Iron for every other day. Other plants seems flourish as normal, just only the foreground grass looks like that.

Also, I have spotted some algae on driftwood that Otos and Amano shrimps ignore to eat. Is this Green Spot Algae sign? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Found a good guide online, you can try to refer to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Found a good guide online, you can try to refer to it.
    Thanks Realcaster. Very good reference! I think this might due to the lack of CO2 since I reduced the rate to 1bps not long ago before introduce fauna in the tank. I might need to increase it a bit more than.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can try asian rummy nose. .. think smaller in size and i love their colours!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Can try asian rummy nose. .. think smaller in size and i love their colours!
    Wow. First time I heard about it. Thank you. Just make a search:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...a-resplendens/

Where do you find this fish in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sawbwa resplendens do pop up for sale occassionally at some LFS, though i would consider them rather uncommon. LFS that have recently stocked them before are places like Green Chapter and Aquatic Avenue, maybe you can check with them on when to expect the next shipment of these fishes.

I've kept them before and while their colors are nice once comfortable in a tank, its only the males that exhibit the signature bluish coloration, the females are more of a drab pale color, so if you want only nice color ones, have to specifically pick the male fishes. They are not really a schooling species though (if thats what you are looking for) and they tend to swim in short darty motions, but they do shoal in the same direction if startled. Most of the time i usually find them scattered individually around the tank.

Still nice fishes to keep in a community tank, especially if you like to stock a variety of different species.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 20th Apr 2016 at 00:36.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Sawbwa resplendens do pop up for sale occassionally at some LFS, though i would consider them rather uncommon. LFS that have recently stocked them before are places like Green Chapter and Aquatic Avenue, maybe you can check with them on when to expect the next shipment of these fishes.

I've kept them before and while their colors are nice once comfortable in a tank, its only the males that exhibit the signature bluish coloration, the females are more of a drab pale color, so if you want only nice color ones, have to specifically pick the male fishes. They are not really a schooling species though (if thats what you are looking for) and they tend to swim in short darty motions, but they do shoal in the same direction if startled. Most of the time i usually find them scattered individually around the tank.

Still nice fishes to keep in a community tank, especially if you like to stock a variety of different species.
    Thanks UA!

I have searched some info on them and it is said the male Asian Rummy Nose like fighting with each other while female colour is not so nice as you said. So I guess I will still go for Platinum Rummy Nose Tetra. I check with Aquatic Avenue and Green Chapter they are both having it in stock.
    I checked the water quality yesterday and can see the water quality is still in good condition. So I can stock up the tank right? Can't wait!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I got them from C328

Wow. First time I heard about it. Thank you. Just make a search:

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...a-resplendens/

Where do you find this fish in Singapore?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, if your tank has a stable cycle, then can add in the fishes. Just pick the healthiest ones and if possible, try to progressively add them in smaller batches over a period of time.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Yeah, if your tank has a stable cycle, then can add in the fishes. Just pick the healthiest ones and if possible, try to progressively add them in smaller batches over a period of time.
    Thanks UA. I will try to stock up slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Done. I got 6 Platinum Rummy Nose during lunch time. Can't wait to go back home. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

uploadfromtaptalk1461143346260.jpg
    Hey Jacky in case you missed this product, the drip bucket will ease the process of drop acclamation process. Less then $8 for the small one. Got one myself last week. Beats running to the tank to drip now and then. .
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps