Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 594

Thread: "Passionately Curious"

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    274
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    Congrats for setting up your new tank. Sorry for being a spoiltsport but need to share with you one concern on ecco pro filter. Be very careful with the handle when opening to do cleaning it breaks very easily after some period of usage. Personally I have broken 2, both handle broke off even with minimum force used. Seems the plastic handle connection become brittle after some usage. Maybe you have better luck but just wish to share this warning with you.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Hi sifu UA,

    Really appreciate your prompt response and clarification. That really helps me a lot!

    Thanks to your post, I have read further about Mosura BT-9 and I will try to use it during cycling period. Hopefully it can speed up the cycling time.
    For the plants, I will find some rooted plants for the setup. Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Japonica Blyxa are considered good rooted plant? Do you have any other recommendation on other rooted plants?

    For the lighting, I will setup the time from afternoon to night time to suite my schedule. Hopefully, it will not affect the tank much. I would draw the curtain during day time to avoid bright ambient also. CO2 will be setup follow the tank accordingly. BTW, I read your post somewhere saying that at the beginning 6 hours of lighting is recommended? It can be lengthen in later stage?

    Once again, thanks a lot for your advice!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by qool View Post
    Congrats for setting up your new tank. Sorry for being a spoiltsport but need to share with you one concern on ecco pro filter. Be very careful with the handle when opening to do cleaning it breaks very easily after some period of usage. Personally I have broken 2, both handle broke off even with minimum force used. Seems the plastic handle connection become brittle after some usage. Maybe you have better luck but just wish to share this warning with you.
    Hi qool,

    Thanks a lot for your warning. So sad hearing about your broken handles.
    I also feel the handle is quite fragile and need to be gentle with it while pulling / pushing. I will take note of your caution every time I use it.
    BTW, I have try to open and close by using force to pulling/pushing to the 2 sides of the handle instead of the top part, that is more firm I guess. :P

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    Jacky, mind sharing the price of cabinet and items you got from NA through PM(i think my forum status prevents me from PMing).
    Currently im still in the sourcing stage, unlike you.. i only settled on a used CO2 tank with solenoid. i think once i settled for my cabinet the rest of the items should fall in place seamlessly and rapidly.
    btw I bet your spanking new eheim smells great out of the box..
    Hi exo,

    I also cannot use PM function. It is no harm to share with you here, I guess.

    The cabinet price is S$250 (self-collected), delivery cost will be additional S$30. It is more expensive because I choose 2 colours of laminate to match my existing cabinet at home. Normal laminate colour like grey / black / white would be cheaper and price will be around S$215+. It will take about 2-3 weeks to finish the order, so I think you better do it in the first place. In the meantime waiting for the cabinet, you can source for other things and also learn more about aquascaping. I really enjoy the process and the first lesson that I have learnt here is "being patient".

    For those in NA, which items you are interested to know the price? I bought quite a lots from there. :P

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    u might want to consider getting a API master kit if you wanna know the parameters of your tank(ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) - this was advised to me by sifus here... its not a must, but good to have item

    as advised by sifu DreamerX5521 and others its to know, if your tank has been fully cycled and ready for livestock addition and also useful if you wanna keep those beautiful shrimps in future.

    For your ref: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ted-intentions
    Hi exo,

    I have purchase the API test kits which is for separate parameter NH4+,NO2--, NO3- and pH from NA since they do not have the master test kit.
    And yes, I would like to have some shrimps in the tank later too.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Fortunately, thanks to Google Maps, the shop can be virtually visited from any PC, for example Green Chapter shop can be seen from here.
    You should head down to lfs such as Seaview, Clementi Florist at clementi blk 328 and GreenChapter. Your visit will enlightened your eyes.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    You should head down to lfs such as Seaview, Clementi Florist at clementi blk 328 and GreenChapter. Your visit will enlightened your eyes.
    Hi BFG,

    Ya, I will definitely go to visit those places in the coming time! Thanks for your advice.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    155
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    yeah agree with BFG... C328 is really a place u need to visit if u have not... I dun think there is another place in SG tht has so many LFS in one place..
    Nevermind abt the price I ask earlier... it should not differ much from a shop to shop. ive been going to there once every week jus to see see look look and buy if the price and equipment is right

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

    Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    yeah agree with BFG... C328 is really a place u need to visit if u have not... I dun think there is another place in SG tht has so many LFS in one place..
    Nevermind abt the price I ask earlier... it should not differ much from a shop to shop. ive been going to there once every week jus to see see look look and buy if the price and equipment is right

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Yup, exo. C328 is quite a famous place.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    I have a questions to ask our master here regarding rocks and driftwood disinfection:-

    1. For driftwood, I soak it in the water right now so that the tannin can be leached out. After that, I plan to boil it before placing in the tank. Is that the correct procedure?
    2. For rocks/stones: I need to test with vinegar first to see if the rocks suitable to use in planted tank. Before place in the tank, what is the method to disinfect the rocks/stones? I plan to pour boiling water on it and soak in that hot water for sometimes. May I know what is your experience for this stage?

    Thank you very much!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    326
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    6
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Not a master but think i can help.

    1. Brush the driftwood to clean it. Boil. After that you can choose to soak it in a diluted bleach solution maybe about one part bleach to 20 parts water. Then use anti chlorine to soak it again

    You are right with the stones. I would soak in the bleach solution after boiling though

    Have you gone through Dennis' youtube videos? Very informative

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    For the plants, I will find some rooted plants for the setup. Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Japonica Blyxa are considered good rooted plant? Do you have any other recommendation on other rooted plants?
    Yeah, those 3 plants you mentioned are relatively easy plant to grow and maintain, especially in a high-tech tank setup. Monte carlo will grow in thicker layers over time so you may need to trim them periodically, same with blyxia japonica too.... sp 'Mini' stays short and the grass blades are vertical so they don't overshadow each other, hence much less requirement to trim them.

    Other easy plants you could look at are glosso, HM, the various rotalas, maybe also cryptocorynes and even echinodorus too. Quite alot to choose from, can try and see.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    BTW, I read your post somewhere saying that at the beginning 6 hours of lighting is recommended? It can be lengthen in later stage?
    6 hours of light photo-period is usually good at the start, if you find that the tank conditions are stable and plants are growing well and there are no significant algae issues, then gradually adjust the photo-period longer in stages.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    1. For driftwood, I soak it in the water right now so that the tannin can be leached out. After that, I plan to boil it before placing in the tank. Is that the correct procedure?
    It'll be better to just boil the wood for a few hours from the start, that will make it leach out alot of tannins in a short period of time. That eliminates the need for it to go through a lengthy soaking process.

    If the wood is full of tannins, the pot of boiling water will turn dark brown like tea color. Just empty the water out, refill and boil some more, until very little or no more tannins are released.

    After that let the wood cool down and then it can be used in your tank right away.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    2. For rocks/stones: I need to test with vinegar first to see if the rocks suitable to use in planted tank. Before place in the tank, what is the method to disinfect the rocks/stones? I plan to pour boiling water on it and soak in that hot water for sometimes. May I know what is your experience for this stage?
    The vinegar test will usually only detect rocks which are very calcareous, those with obvious exposed mineral surfaces. In many cases, the vinegar will not fizz, but that doesn't mean the rocks are inert, they may still release minerals, just at a slower pace.

    To find out if the rocks have any effects on your tank water, i found that the best method is to wash and scrub the rocks thoroughly to get rid off loose dirt and residue, then soak the rocks in a bucket of water for a week, measure TDS, pH, KH and GH readings before and after to see if there are any changes. If there are changes, change the water and soak some more and test further, usually the effects will decrease as the mineral release diminish over time.

    As for disinfecting the rocks, you can soak them in bleach (then soak in dechlorinated water after that), or boil them too. Both methods can help. I usually do the boiling method, just for a short 10-15 minutes to kill any possible hitchhiking critters or pests.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Hi UA,

    Thanks a lot for your advice. I have boiled the wood few hours and now it looks like teh-O already. I changed water one time and boiled it 2nd time and the tannin leeched out lesser than the first time. Now 3rd time boiling and I hope that would be minimal and ready to use after that.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    155
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    im guessing your cabinet is here?

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

    Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    im guessing your cabinet is here?

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Oh ya. I have collected my cabinet. So now everything is ready for hardscape setup.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Planted Tank Journal: litiaquaria.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel on Planted Tank: YouTube . Please subscribe!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    155
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    nice cabinet... I jus places my deposit for cabinet yesterday so im waiting

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

    Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central
    Posts
    1,930
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    5
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post
    yeah agree with BFG... C328 is really a place u need to visit if u have not... I dun think there is another place in SG tht has so many LFS in one place..
    Nevermind abt the price I ask earlier... it should not differ much from a shop to shop. ive been going to there once
    every week jus to see see look look and buy if the price and equipment is right

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Along the same route to C328, you will also pass one in C325, which is new. That is also a nice one. Clementi is fast becoming like Petwalk at Serangoon North where there are a few lfs in one place. Those in this hobby are so lucky.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    155
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    yeah LFS @ C325... have been there a few times. friendly staff

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

    Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    187
    Feedback Score
    0
    Images
    1
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Hi qool,

    Thanks a lot for your warning. So sad hearing about your broken handles.
    I also feel the handle is quite fragile and need to be gentle with it while pulling / pushing. I will take note of your caution every time I use it.
    BTW, I have try to open and close by using force to pulling/pushing to the 2 sides of the handle instead of the top part, that is more firm I guess. :P
    Alternatively, you can install a pre-filter to your ecco pro filter. That way you minimise the possibility of handle breakage as you only need to open and clean your prefilter during maintenance. This is what I have for my setup. Remember to get double taps too

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    722
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: "Passionately Curious"

    Quote Originally Posted by sfk7 View Post
    Not a master but think i can help.

    1. Brush the driftwood to clean it. Boil. After that you can choose to soak it in a diluted bleach solution maybe about one part bleach to 20 parts water. Then use anti chlorine to soak it again

    You are right with the stones. I would soak in the bleach solution after boiling though

    Have you gone through Dennis' youtube videos? Very informative
    Thanks sfk7! Very useful and informative video!
    I boiled my driftwood yesterday very long and had very good teh-O :P
    For rocks, boiling water pouring in, it can keep the heat very well. Morning wake up, water still warm!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •