Country
    Vietnam

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

I would like to check if pH 6.4 is OK to have guppies? Should I go for it? Their colour is so beautiful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guppy do better at 7-8 pH IIRC.. Many guppy breeders add sodium bicarbonate in their tanks to keep it there. So I reckon 6.4 isn't ideal.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    Guppy do better at 7-8 pH IIRC.. Many guppy breeders add sodium bicarbonate in their tanks to keep it there. So I reckon 6.4 isn't ideal.

Thank you, vannel. Hmmm, in this case I would think about other option then.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yup. Also, fancy guppies generally don't do well with flow. Selective breeding that led to their extensive finnage also means they are not able to swim well, even in moderate flow.

Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by vannel View Post
    Yup. Also, fancy guppies generally don't do well with flow. Selective breeding that led to their extensive finnage also means they are not able to swim well, even in moderate flow.

I see. And yes, I try to find some active small fishes that like to play with flow and at the middle to top level dwelling. Do you have any idea? Zebra danio/leopard danio is OK?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you are keen on unique danios, can look at Danio tinwini (aka gold ring danios)... they are fast swimmers with brilliant golden patterns, stay small and school at the upper levels of the tank. Less common compared to the other danios but most LFS stock them occasionally. Can look out for those fishes.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    If you are keen on unique danios, can look at Danio tinwini (aka gold ring danios)... they are fast swimmers with brilliant golden patterns, stay small and school at the upper levels of the tank. Less common compared to the other danios but most LFS stock them occasionally. Can look out for those fishes.
    Awesome! Thanks UA! I will check with the LFSs to see if they have stock for this danio. They looks amazing and small too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

On the subject of fish.. anyone seen blue cobalt goby in LFS before ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Double post
    Last edited by exo; 8th May 2016 at 14:50. Reason: Double post
    Ludwigia glandulosa / Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' / Rotala wallichii / Cyperus Rotundus / Rotala Sp. Sunset / Rotala Sp. Green

Cardinal Tetra / Rummynose Sp. Platinium / L183 Stralight Bristlenose Pelco / Nirate Snail / Yamato Shrimps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by exo View Post

I've never seen that fish before in any LFS.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hi UA,

Finally, I managed to get 9 Gold Ring Danio fish. They are really very rare!

The golden colour of this fish is really beautiful! They are also small size, active, not shy and schooling very well. I notice they like to play with the outflow current sometimes. Thanks for your recommendation!

Also, Rummynose seems like more active since I introduced Gold Ring Danio to the tank. They swim more to upper level of the tank together with the Danio.

BTW, during feeding time, how can you make sure the small Danio can have food while Rummynose are so fast and grab the food really quick?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For my community tanks with a mix of different fishes, i just use the usual "powderize food" method. As the fine food particles slowly drift down the water column, all the fishes will usually get a chance to grab some food.

Newly added fishes sometimes need abit of time to learn how to grab the food. As they get hungry, they will naturally also seek out and catch the food too. In a densely planted tank, you usually don't need to worry too much about food for small fishes as they can usually also find small critters amongst the undergrowth and plants to snack on in-between feedings.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Double post
    I have seen them at GC, what you might want to look for is the neon blue goby, which has a nicer coloration. I used to keep them, until they took the leap of faith... Can't find neon blue anymore...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

For my community tanks with a mix of different fishes, i just use the usual "powderize food" method. As the fine food particles slowly drift down the water column, all the fishes will usually get a chance to grab some food.

Newly added fishes sometimes need abit of time to learn how to grab the food. As they get hungry, they will naturally also seek out and catch the food too. In a densely planted tank, you usually don't need to worry too much about food for small fishes as they can usually also find small critters amongst the undergrowth and plants to snack on in-between feedings.
    Thanks for your advice, UA. I did not see my Gold Ring Danio were really crazy for food like what Rummynose normally do. Even though, they are still very active and moving all day, and even night time when I was peaking at the tank. Hope they can find their own way to food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I found one snail in my tank and not sure if that is the bad kind of snail. Any sifu can help to ID this snail? Is there any chance the baby horned nerite snails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Your plants were all from tissue source right? So there shouldn't be any alien snails around.
    If so.. congrats.. u are a snail farmer now.. lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Your plants were all from tissue source right? So there shouldn't be any alien snails around.
    If so.. congrats.. u are a snail farmer now.. lol

Ya bro. All plants were from Tropica 1-2 Grows and I believe should not be any snails on that. I also have not plants anything else rather than those plants in my tank. What I read from the internet it is not easy for nerite snails to breed successfully in this kind of soft water condition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just to check what is your PH in the night/early morning before CO2 is injected?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Just to check what is your PH in the night/early morning before CO2 is injected?

As what I have checked so far, pH is normally from 6 (during CO2 injection) to 6.4 (before CO2 injection). It is kind of soft water.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.... OK. . I'm getting 6.5(co2) and 7.6 (no co2)