Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

"Passionately Curious"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Make the water cooler doesn't mean your fish will be happier. 2 of my Rummynose decided to jump out from the tank 2 days in a row. So I turn off the cooling fan and seems like they are OK now.

Lesson learnt: even the temperature towards the ideal, fish still can die if they already get use and adapt to the high temperature environment.

I could have prevent this if I put the cover for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Re: "Passionately Curious"

Hi All,

Recently I found some leaves on my Staurogyne repens got this issue. I don't know if it is lack of nutrient and what kind of nutrient shall I add to improve the situation? Appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I have trimmed off all of the Staurogyne repens which showed deficiency signs. New stems are now coming out and hopefully it would getting better.

To enhance the nutrient supply for plants, I bought Ocean Free Absolute Root Monster and inserted it into substrate. Hope that would help the plants have sufficient nutrients in the long run.

One good news recently is I see more berried shrimps. At least five of them in the tank. Hope I will get more baby shrimplets soon! Yay!

I also removed Ricca fluitants out of the tank since its branches keep dropping and floating around the tank. It becomes very unsightly. At the background, some Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' have been planted.

So far the tank has been develop quite well. A lots to learn along the way and I really enjoy it.

Have a great Sunday, guys!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

I have done a water test yesterday after long time and was quite shocked about the nitrate level. It should be around 80ppm and above! Water is still very clear and fishes are OK. I don't know if it is due to removal of Seachem Purigen from the filter or filter really need a thorough clean.

Today I do a quick ground vacuum and water change about 20%. Still nitrate level is quite hight about 40-80ppm.

I will continue to do water change in the next few days with 10% - 15% daily to see if issue can be slowly settled. Will also feed my fishes sparingly from now. Since I'd like to feed the shrimp daily these days so that berried mummy can have better health condition, that might caused overfed issue. Thanks to AQ fellows for ID, I understand that some limpets and seed shrimps appear in the tank and might be due to overfed matter, too.

Other than that problem, tank is still doing well. I have recently increased the lighting and CO2 time to 9hrs/day and staggering into 2 slots in a day. That really helps to minimize the algae growth in the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

After more than a week doing frequent water change and filter cleaning, nitrate level is now at about 40ppm. I see the fauna in the tank are doing fine, so guess they get use to the environment as well.

I have attached a little weeping moss and Taiwan moss (?) on the driftwoods. Hope it can grow after sometimes.

Shrimplets are growing up and more to be seen in the tank. I guess those shrimplets in the picture below is about 4-5weeks old. I found many of them in the filter during filter cleaning time and put them back in the tank. They like the new mosses too!

I am thinking of changing the Rotala Bonsai at front ground since it becomes quite bushy. Might change to some crawler plant and low grown to make the front part clearer.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    Nice tank...
    Thanks bro.

Just some short update on this tank.

I have put some cardinal tetras and 2 sterbai corydoras in the tank. They make the tank more lively since cardinal tetras has great shiny colour and Corydoras keep moving around the tank.

The moss I put on driftwoods was flame moss. That has grown fairly fast since the last update.

Blyxa Japonica had been growing very well and becoming bushy in no time. I needed to trim it off to keep a good shape.

Only matter is the Eleocharis acicularis 'mini' is getting brownies at some part. I am not sure if I need to put more fertilizer tablets at the substrate to support it with more nutrient. Anyone has experience in keeping green and healthy grass?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Jacky, I didn't know this is your tank until now.
    No wonder your profile pic looked so familiar lol!
    I've been "stalking'' your tank for a while now, impressive tank bro!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by j.c.koh View Post
    Jacky, I didn't know this is your tank until now.
    No wonder your profile pic looked so familiar lol!
    I've been "stalking'' your tank for a while now, impressive tank bro!
    Hi JC!

Thank you. Ya, I have this journal for sometimes since I first started this hobby at the beginning of this year. I can feel your excitement as I was there at that stage of preparing, studying and planning for the tank. Believe me, you can make a really good and successful first tank if planning carefully with good set of equipment!

The masters in this forum are really helpful and knowledgeable. They will definitely support if you have any doubt or query. Enjoy your journey, bro! It is very addictive! Hahaha!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It's a good read, most questions I had in mind can be found here. And I really like the way you do things, planning carefully before every execution.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

It's a good read, most questions I had in mind can be found here. And I really like the way you do things, planning carefully before every execution.
    Thanks JC.

Just another sharing and update on my tank on week 31. I went for a week holiday and that was the first time I leaf the tank that long unattended. Since nobody's home, I just needed to prepare everything carefully before leaving.

- A week before the leaving date: I cleaned the filter to make sure that things would be cleaned during my absence. And also to observe if anything not right, so that I can rectify it quickly. I also monitored all lighting/CO2 timer/solenoids valve/ bubble counter were in order during that period and make sure it was not disturbed until I am back.

I also check the water evaporation rate during the cooling fan on. Lots of water lost a day during this hot weather (about 3-4 litters/a day). That means the 2ft tank will be in trouble if cooling fan is on for 7 days without water topup. So I decided to turn off the cooling fan to during my holidays. Water temperatures is higher (30-31 degC) without cooling fan but that I guess that still OK for the fish. They have exposed to that before I got the fan.

I was quite worried on the feeding matter during the holiday week. However, after reading some posts online, I think fish would be OK without food for a week or two. So I just wanna experience it, too. Anyway, also no choice lor.

A day before leaving, I do tank cleaning and water change properly, feeding the fish 2 times that day by pellets and dried microworms until they were all full.

The day itself, I feed the fish again with frozen bloodworms. That was heavy meal and a treat for them. For the herbivores, I put 2 slices of blanched zucchini for them to gaze on. That would be enough for few days and the omnivorous fish can enjoy it as well. And of course, top up water to the max as it can be. I delay the trimming of stem plants since I would like to keep the tank balance during my leave. I dosed all normal daily fertilizer that need to be done in that week in one shot, too.

Very kiasu, I set up an IP camera on the tank as well, so that I can check if all is in order during my absence. Hehe.

When I was back from the holidays, first thing is to go to the fish tank and check. Everything is totally fine, except one fish decided to jump out of tank and dried . One snail climbed out and dropped on the floor. it was still alive surprisingly when I put it back in water. I guess the snail can close the lid and live inside their shell for sometimes. Other than that, things in the tank looked really clean and plants grown so fast! Need a trim soon! Yay!

Here is the tank after holidays:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Had a nice read and appreciated your detailed posts on your tank updates.
    After reading your thread, my hands are very itchy now to start a planted tank again. Been almost 20 years since my last planted tank.

One tip you can try is to setup a bucket with drip system to compensate for the evaporation during your absence in the future.
    Do continue with your tank updates!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
    Had a nice read and appreciated your detailed posts on your tank updates.
    After reading your thread, my hands are very itchy now to start a planted tank again. Been almost 20 years since my last planted tank.

One tip you can try is to setup a bucket with drip system to compensate for the evaporation during your absence in the future.
    Do continue with your tank updates!
    Thanks a lot, Cardinal Tetra! I hope that my journal can inspires the "itchy hands" hobbyists as well as newbies like me last time. The more I am in this hobby, the more new things I have learnt everyday.

I will study the dripping method that you have mentioned and try it next time. Thank you.

Waiting for your new tank setup, too! Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hello to All!

I would like to update my "Passionately Curious" tank at Week 33.

I have changed the light to Chihiros LED A Series 601 recently and can see the plants response to it very well. Pearling like crazy if I put the light intensity to the max. I need to reduce it to one step dimmer to prevent algae blooming. Haha! The tank looks much better with stronger lighting in my view. ☘️

I have kept the fauna in the tank at stable quantity now and they seems very happy. So now, there are 10 Rummynose tetras, 4 Cardinals, 4 Otocinclus, 4 horned nerite snails and about 20-30 Fire Red Shrimps reside in the tank.

Rummynose Tetra: mixed the normal type and platinum one. They are getting bigger now.

Otocinclus keep patrolling around the size to gaze algae on glass, stones, woods and anywhere they can put their mouth on. Very hardworking crew!

The moss that I put on top of driftwood has been spreading nicely and the shrimps like it a lot. They keep on munching there at all time.

Plants have grown nicely, too. I need to trim Rotala Bonsai very regularly and keep them stay low.

For Echinodorus tenelus 'green', it is difficult to control even I removed most of it last time. Small amount can go wild in the tank. Interestingly, I quite like the way they go wild now! It makes the tank have a very nature look. And I love the way the runner runs across the front of the tank at this time. It is totally not my intention but Nature takes the course. ☘️

Overall, I am quite happy with the tank at this moment. I put some slow grown plants in the tank recently like anubias 'nana', anubias nana petite, anubias 'golden leave', needle leaf java fern... with small quantity. Just to see how it grow in the high tech tank.

Hope you all enjoy the journal! Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

It has been long time since my last updates. In fact, some updates were gone after the forum was down for a period of time. And ya, the tank is still in operation and with lots to learn each day.

It is currently at Week 45, Day 317! Ya, it is almost a year very soon!

I have changes the background plants recently to Rotala Rotundifolia and some Ludwigia super read which I got from bro Branong here. Thanks bro, the plants have been growing very well in my tank.

The Chihiros A601 has very strong light and caused me some minor algae trouble recently. I have tried several methods to control it like: reduce lighting period and intensity, changing water, clean filtration system, trimming affected parts... Things are quite in order now where roughly I can find the balance points between lighting, CO2, fert and water circulation.

I bought a stand for Chihiros light too, that makes the coverage of light better to the tank and can see the Eleocharis sp mini grows very well under this light. Blyxa Japonica had grown like crazy and I needed to trim the whole bunch off recently as it reduced flow circulation in the tank.

Moss on top of the driftwood has spread all over and looks very lush as well.

Some photos update as below. I might take more nicer one next time ya! Cheers guys!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice setup.....guess the plants and fauna are enjoying the heavenly ecosystem looking at their growth and shrimplets!! Congrats....out of curiously where do you buy your rotala bonsai from.....l've been searching for a while but not seen any!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Nice setup.....guess the plants and fauna are enjoying the heavenly ecosystem looking at their growth and shrimplets!! Congrats....out of curiously where do you buy your rotala bonsai from.....l've been searching for a while but not seen any!
    Hi Goalkeeper,

Thank you. I got my Rotala bonsai from Tropica 1-2 Grow! tissue culture. You can call and check its availability at Green Chapter, Fishy Business or East Ocean.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro Jacky, 1 of my shrimp is pregnant and I'll like to get some information from you.

Is there anything important that I should know before and after the shrimplets pops out?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Bro Jacky, 1 of my shrimp is pregnant and I'll like to get some information from you.

Is there anything important that I should know before and after the shrimplets pops out?
    Hi bro JC,

Congratulations!

For the berried shrimps, I have seen them just done everything by their own, so just let it be. Just bear in mind to maintain the stable temperature (I think you got chiller so it should be alright) and if possible, you buy the filter fine mesh cover to cover the inlet pipe. So that the small shrimplets will not be sucked into the filter. Very soon after few weeks you can see small shrimps crawling around already if everything goes smoothly.

Oh, you can feed the shrimps with shrimp food to increase the immunity and when molting but do not over feeding.