Singapore

Re: Shrimps that dont require high tech

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by jermseah View Post
    I shouldnt have followed this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9HMcPaUPAI

I think the water has not cycled properly as i did all at one shot - added water and shrimps after the wabi kusa was done, i think by end of the week all die lol lesson learnt
    Well, keeping shrimps in an unfiltered wabi-kusa tank setup could work... just that you don't just put in 50 malayan shrimps at once, that will naturally overload the tank very easily.

Unfiltered tanks can only support a very small bio-load (compared to filtered tanks). For small unfiltered tanks, just a few small shrimps can already be at the limits of the tank bio-load capacity, any more and the water will foul up very quickly. You'll also have to do more frequent water changes and waste removal to keep the water clean too. Basically without a filter, you'll have to act as the manual filter.

Also note that the ADA wabi-kusa plants are usually grown out in separate emersed setups before usage, so most of the soil ammonia and nutrients are already used up by the mature plants, which makes it safer to add to a tank and then add livestock in immediately.

But if the wabi-kusa was freshly made with new ADA aquasoil and then immediately put into a tank, the soil will start to release ammonia into the water column like in a new tank setup, and that will affect any livestock that were also added in at the same time. In such cases, you should let the plants use up the ammonia and nutrients to grow, let the tank cycle and stabilize first, then add in livestock later.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 9th Mar 2016 at 22:23.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kingelliot View Post
    Hi guru, I always wonder what are the difference between malayan shrimps and amano shrimps? Are they same? Just one found in Malaysia (guess from its name) and one from Japan.
    Yeah, they are different species of shrimps from different countries and localities.

Some info:

http://www.planetinverts.com/malaya_shrimp.html

http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

Interestingly, their mode of breeding are different too, while their young both have a larvae stage, malayan shrimp larvae can transition into shrimplets and grow up in freshwater, while yamato shrimp larvae need saltwater conditions to transition into shrimplets (then gradually return back to freshwater conditions as they grow).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA... i think you basically nailed it with experience! haha

guess i will have to wait and see how it goes from here, and do 20-40% water change every 2 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Well, keeping shrimps in an unfiltered wabi-kusa tank setup could work... just that you don't just put in 50 malayan shrimps at once, that will naturally overload the tank very easily.

Unfiltered tanks can only support a very small bio-load (compared to filtered tanks). For small unfiltered tanks, just a few small shrimps can already be at the limits of the tank bio-load capacity, any more and the water will foul up very quickly. You'll also have to do more frequent water changes and waste removal to keep the water clean too. Basically without a filter, you'll have to act as the manual filter.

Also note that the ADA wabi-kusa plants are usually grown out in separate emersed setups before usage, so most of the soil ammonia and nutrients are already used up by the mature plants, which makes it safer to add to a tank and then add livestock in immediately.

But if the wabi-kusa was freshly made with new ADA aquasoil and then immediately put into a tank, the soil will start to release ammonia into the water column like in a new tank setup, and that will affect any livestock that were also added in at the same time. In such cases, you should let the plants use up the ammonia and nutrients to grow, let the tank cycle and stabilize first, then add in livestock later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12