1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question on Co2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Been using co2 for awhile and have religiously top up every 2-3 months for my 1L tank. Been busy with work and what's not in life lately, and also an urge to test out how long it can last, am running about 2bps for tank 1 and 1bps for tank 2.

It has been 5 months exactly since my last top up and I'm still seeing bubbles coming out of the bubble counters, however, I do notice an imbalance starting on my tank 1 as more and more hair algae are appearing. I increased the amount of co2 slightly due to constant green alage on the glass 2 weeks prior to a massive trimming and removal of mass mosses, thus, I can't really contribute it to lack of co2...

My question is, when do we know it's the end of supply? I'm using intense solenoid, it still showing at the green bar and both the bubble counters are still active when the light period is on. I know its near to the end as the aluminum tank is light to hold, but how do we really know for sure, cause 5 months seem insanely long for a 1L tank.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Question on Co2

Yeah, thats the thing with single gauge regulators, you'll have to guess its remaining capacity or just wait until you see the bubble output slow down or just stop altogether.

The previous times you had to refill the 1L tank, did you do it pre-emptively before the tank was depleted or only when it was completely empty?
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I did not wait for it to be totally out. Now I have serious algae issues, unsure if its cause i did a heavy pruning or because out of co2 although the bubble counters are still bubbling haha.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Heavy pruning usually results in lower plant mass, which in turn reduce their nutrient uptake, so its possible that excess nutrient start accumulating (especially if fert dosages are unchanged), which could contribute to more algae growth.

I guess maybe can try doing some extra water changes, that could help to flush out the excess nutrients.

If your bubble counter can still maintain the BPS consistently, means there is still enough Co2 gas in the cylinder... at this moment in time.

For such setups without the 2nd total pressure gauge, you'll just have to watch when the bubbles slow down or stop. It can happen anytime so have to check regularly.

My guess is either you previously refilled the cylinder earlier than necessary (perhaps when it was still half full)... or your most recent refill somehow added more Co2 than usual, hence it could last longer than before.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ingen, considered to get a spare tank? I'll top up in advance... Spare tank does not need to be same size.. Can even consider smaller ones too..

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Ingen, considered to get a spare tank? I'll top up in advance... Spare tank does not need to be same size.. Can even consider smaller ones too..

Mine is 1L tank, very small due to space constraint hahah. I'm quite surprised it lastly for 5 months!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That bad? 1-2 bps ok la..

Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi... a newbie here and need some advise from all bros here (hmm... wonder any sis here... ...
    what could be the problem as both my 2L and 5L CO2 tank depleted between 4 to 6 weeks use... I'm using about 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds and about 6-8 hrs a day...

my recent 5L tank started 4-Apr... (tank reading at 100psi capacity) and using 1 bubble per 2-3 sec for 8 hrs a day and now almost "0"...

I have reduced the CO2 setting on 23-Apr to 1-May setting to 4 hours daily including the lightings as I'm away overseas...

I have tested all the tread joints including the tubing check valves and any other joints that I suspect possible leak with soap water and found no leaking... would it due to faulty regulator and/or solenoid???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is it 100 PSI or 1,000 PSI? Because 100 PSI in total pressure is almost close to no more gas in a Co2 tank.

Usually when Co2 tanks are properly filled up, they will show 1,000-1,100 PSI on the total pressure gauge.

Based on your BPS rates and injection periods, the 2L Co2 tank should last more than a year, the 5L Co2 tank probably 2+ years (my tanks also run those types of BPS rates and timings, so i'm familiar with the Co2 tank lifespans).

If your Co2 tanks are properly filled up and they seem to be depleted quickly, you'll just have to re-check all the tubings, connections and joints again. Have to also check the regulator and solenoid to see if it is working properly. Make sure you are using Co2 resistant tubing (not the normal soft air line tubing) and check that the main Co2 tank valves themselves are also not leaking too.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oops... sorry my mistake it should be 1,000 psi on the total pressure gauge...

Thanks for your tips... how to test the regulator and solenoid valve? hope is simple enough and not rocket science stuff...
    I have though of the easier way is to bring back to the LFS to exchange a new set as still within one year warranty...

Yes, I'm using the CO2 hard resistant tubing.. I reckon high chance problem rise on the regulator and/or solenoid valve as can't be both 2L & 5L tank depleted at the same rate... hmmm...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just apply soapy water to all the connections and joints again (including the main valve on the Co2 tank itself), taking special note to also check the areas that are hidden from view. Leaks could be at those areas which you might have missed.

For the solenoid, just check that when it switches off, the gss flow completely stopped (not still letting it through).

Other than those methods, i guess if it still doesn't solve the issue, just have to exchange a new set.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry to hijack this thread....I have the same issues...but mine is a worse off situation. I am using a 2L tank and an ANS solenoid and regulator set, bought new from Seaview. Am on 1 BPS a second . When i brought home the tank, it did show 1000 psi. Connected everything and all was fine. The next day...PSI showed 0. Did not bother much about it as there were bubbles coming out. But that stopped after a week...meaning i depleted all CO2 in a week. Went back to the Seaview and tried a second tank. Same thing happened. At the shop it showed 1000 PSI....Next day needle dropped to 0. Did a soapy water test...checked all the joints ...tubes ...everything and i cant find any leaks. Tested a 3rd Tank....same thing happened....PSI dropped to 0 the very next day....I am using CO2 tubing and a metal check valve as well. Getting very frustrating...Seaview claim since they did the soapy test and found no leaks.....the regulator and solenoid cant be deemed as faulty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Just apply soapy water to all the connections and joints again (including the main valve on the Co2 tank itself), taking special note to also check the areas that are hidden from view. Leaks could be at those areas which you might have missed.

For the solenoid, just check that when it switches off, the gss flow completely stopped (not still letting it through).

Other than those methods, i guess if it still doesn't solve the issue, just have to exchange a new set.
    thanks for the tips... will do a test tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a recommendation if you can pull out your CO2 set up (tubings, fittings, bubble counters, etc) and dip it in a pail full of water, part by part, maybe just maybe it will show any leak. Just to be 100% sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post

Apparently, the diffuser is still giving out CO2 bubbles even after the solenoid is been auto switched off by auto timer.. Does that means the solenoid and/or regulator is main culprit...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by wolfgang View Post
    Apparently, the diffuser is still giving out CO2 bubbles even after the solenoid is been auto switched off by auto timer.. Does that means the solenoid and/or regulator is main culprit...
    Yeah, that means the solenoid is faulty. Just have to replace it with a new working unit.
    www.urbanaquaria.com