Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Would appreciate some help with fish identification!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Would appreciate some help with fish identification!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can't upload the pictures directly for some reason, so here is a link the imgur album, hope that's ok:
    http://imgur.com/a/LZkO5

Is the first fish really a "Blue magnense cichlid"? I tried googling and the closest i could get was Managuense Cichlid which looks nothing like that even when i searched for the juvenile form. Is there a chance it could some breed of dwarf cichlid? There are also two different looking fishes in the same tank..

Also, is the second fish in the album some kind of endler? I know the picture isn't the best, but it was blue and white/silvery, with 'dumbo' fins. Hopefully it is indeed a kind of Endler instead of a Molly of some sort.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Would appreciate some help with fish identification!

Nope thats not a blue managuense cichlid or jaguar cichlid. The ones at the top looks like frontosa fries, the ones at the bottom are blue dempsey.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

And the fish in the 2nd pic is Panda Guppy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok cool thanks for the ID guys!

@Guppendler - how big does the Panda Guppy get? I have two common male endlers in my tank now (a snakeskin and another silver one with flame-shaped tail), will they get along if i get maybe 1-2 of the Panda Guppies? Also, how are the panda guppies with shrimps? I am liking the panda guppies because of their 'dumbo' fins and relatively small tails - not a big fan of guppies with huge tails.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The Panda guppy in the picture are already full grown adult size, they are slightly smaller than guppy. The Panda guppy will get along well with your Endlers. Like guppy and Endlers, pandas are opportunistic eaters, and woukd not be well suited to be kept with shrimps. I like panda and pink guppies very much too!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh! My shrimps have been safe so far though with the endlers, probably because they are colour shrimps and are larger than the average cherry shrimp. Ok that's great means it'll be similar sized to the endlers too, maybe i'll get one or two soon heh.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I guess there must be sufficient hiding places for your shrimps that is why your endlers are not bothering them. The latter can be quite vulnerable when moulting. And if you are trying to breed your shrimps, keeping guppies and/or endlers with the shrimps may not be good idea

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've read that the shrimps I have can only breed in brackish water! Even so, none are berried right now.. if it becomes a concern I might just get a breeding box if I do see any berried shrimps. As it stands now there hasn't been any shrimp casualties cause of the endlers, thankfully.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Btw if this was in Y618 fish shop, they also mislabelled the blue dempsey, but they do have true Managuense Cichlid if you want it.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will drink beer while getting sunburnt.