Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Pretty nice scape

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Is that's the green variant of BBA? Nice!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Saw this in of Seaview nano tank. BBA everywhere lol

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have. Over time. CO2 and light control is important. But once a while I will still get a small turf. Nothing major

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I got mine fixed by increasing the water circulation, added a wave maker of 2000lph capacity to eheim 2075 and 2080 for my 5ft densly planted. All disappeared in a week surprisingly. Algae eaters are useless, may be its too much for them to consume. Now no traces of BBA. Reduced lighting period from 12 hrs to 7 hrs.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Excel spot treatment + constant CO2 injections + good flow with powerful powerhead focused on dead spots = little tiny spots BBA at inlet pipes and CO2 diffuser.

Better a tiny manageable spot than an uncontrollable outbreak.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    Excel spot treatment + constant CO2 injections + good flow with powerful powerhead focused on dead spots = little tiny spots BBA at inlet pipes and CO2 diffuser.

Better a tiny manageable spot than an uncontrollable outbreak.
    I fully agree with AZA. Since my CO2 solenoid died on me. I have decided to just let the CO2 be injected continuously into my external turbo CO2 reactor. I have also increased my dosage of Nitrogen using CaNO3.(I using EI method of dosing with Dry Fertilizers from ECOCity Hydroponics). I'm using a Eheim 2228 for my 2 feet tank and definitely no issue with water flow. While the BBA is not completely eradicated. I've notice that it is getting much less. My MC is getting less affected and so is my Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'. One more thing, monthly cleaning of the Eheim filter system and clearing away DOC helps.

The only issue I have now is with BGA or Cyanobacterial. I'm using Hydrogen Peroxide to contain it by first removing it using my net during water change and then squirting H2O2 into affected areas; mostly near gravel areas. Any tips to avoid BGA altogether?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stream View Post
    I fully agree with AZA. Since my CO2 solenoid died on me. I have decided to just let the CO2 be injected continuously into my external turbo CO2 reactor. I have also increased my dosage of Nitrogen using CaNO3.(I using EI method of dosing with Dry Fertilizers from ECOCity Hydroponics). I'm using a Eheim 2228 for my 2 feet tank and definitely no issue with water flow. While the BBA is not completely eradicated. I've notice that it is getting much less. My MC is getting less affected and so is my Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'. One more thing, monthly cleaning of the Eheim filter system and clearing away DOC helps.

The only issue I have now is with BGA or Cyanobacterial. I'm using Hydrogen Peroxide to contain it by first removing it using my net during water change and then squirting H2O2 into affected areas; mostly near gravel areas. Any tips to avoid BGA altogether?
    AR mini is one BBA magnet boy. I just trim infected leaves and leave healthy ones behind.

On top of your H2O2 treatment, try adding bacteria pills like Nitrozyme. I read somewhere that cyanobacteria thrives when native beneficial bacteria is compromised.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I tore down my tank due to months battling bga. Also and excuse to rescape my tank.
    I read Red Slime Remover from Chemiclean works to eradicate BGA safely. Realise this after tore down my tank.
    H2O2 works but I cannot find root cause. My tank has been running for 4 years so my thinking rescape is best option. I do nuke everything in my tank after tear down with PP, Bleach and H2O2. Now recycling filter after rescape.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Finding the balance point between CO2, fertilizer and lighting will have no place for algae. When the plant healthy, algae also gone.

I got some minor BBA when changing light to brighter lighting. Luckily, it is dimmable and I tried to reduce the period and also intensity of light (i.e.from 10 hours to 7hours). At the same time, I also try to ripoff as much affected leaves/plants which has BBA in the tank; clean the filter and pipes/hoses. CO2 also increase and keep at stable bps. I did not try to adjust CO2 too much since fluctuations of CO2 might also cause BBA. So just let it injection at high level (bright green of drop checker).

After all that steps, BBA slowly reduce spreading around. Whichever place it appeared, rip it off. If lily pipe got it, I cleaned it with salt rubbing. After kind of no sign of new BBA, I slowly increase the lighting period and intensity, very slowly like 15 mins every 4-5 days, so the plants can adjust accordingly.

Now lighting is back at 8.5 hours a day and intensity is almost to the max (80%). No sign / very minimal sign of BBA can be seen.

Cutting and trimming and water change more frequently also good to help tank have good water circulation and clean.

Fighting BBA needs patience and hardwork, too. But it is possible!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For me, I have better success eliminating BBA as compare to BGA. Mostly beacuse BBA is an algae but BGA is more similar to bacteria.

The first thing one need to do is to quarantine any new plants bought at LFS to prevent BBA infestation to be introduced. Proper C02, fertilization and light is important but if these algae is not introduce in the first place, less problem will arise later if you have lapse in aquarium housekeeping in the future.

I've read UA's write up on plant quarantine somewhere here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    For me, I have better success eliminating BBA as compare to BGA. Mostly beacuse BBA is an algae but BGA is more similar to bacteria.

The first thing one need to do is to quarantine any new plants bought at LFS to prevent BBA infestation to be introduced. Proper C02, fertilization and light is important but if these algae is not introduce in the first place, less problem will arise later if you have lapse in aquarium housekeeping in the future.

I've read UA's write up on plant quarantine somewhere here.
    That's right, greenie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12