Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

Feedback Score

Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Has anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank? Care to share your success story?

I've read that insufficient CO2 can cause BBA to grow but my CO2 checker is usually yellow at the end of the week before I do water change. Which left me to suspect I'm injecting too much CO2 in the course of the week. It is set at 50 bubbles per minute for my 2ft tank(less than 1 bubble per sec). I'm using an external CO2 reactor with Eheim 2228 to fully dissolve the CO2 before it flow into the tank. I'm using Excel to spot dose on BBA building on my rocks. That is very successful after 1 week of dosing where the BBA turns to purple than white. However, I still have BBA on my glass pane and leaves of my mini AR and MC. I'm using EI method to dose NPK into my tank and ensuring the recommended starting PPM. I'm read that Yamato shrimps eat BBA. My cherry and fire red shrimps certaininly don't. The reason I'm not getting Yamato shrimps is because those at the LFS are so big compared to my cherry and fire red shrimps.

Is it possible to achieve a completely BBA free tank?

TIA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

Bba is the most tough algae that i could get rid on from my tank experience, i managed to slow it down and make them no longer growth/dormant, but not get rid them all. Sometime small thingy in the ornaments i don't really care anymore.

Shrimp will eat if they are dying by excel or h2o2, so does SAE. but if you not find the root cause ( which is still nothing written in stone so far) they will keep growing in other place.

From my experience , quantity of your co2 is not direct affect them, i believe your dying plants is releasing organic matter and it's triggering their bloom. But the main problem of this tank balance is not just contributed by dying plants, we have micro organism , fauna, soil, light, water chemistry that also play / affect the tank balance.

Better co2, enough fertiliser, light and o2 are the main components that you may settle down before you touch the other component.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone successfully eradicate BBA from their tank?

From my humble research over the times and own experience, BBA is closely associated with dirty water aka high DOC (DISOLVED ORGANIC COMPOUND OR CARBON), to control bba, u should aim to have a big filter capacity to cope with ur fish bioload, and cleaning ur filter regularly (once a month) and pwc to remove doc in ur water (at least 20% weekly)

Ppl always said low co2 causes bba and high co2 will solve bba problem but the root cause is actually doc, high disolved organic in ur watet will promote bba (those disolved organic come from fishes wastes/hormone/rotten food/rotten leaves) which can only be remove by water change. High co2 will promote ur aquatic plan growth which will fight with bba over nutrient so bba growth will be slower but as long as u dont fix the root cause, u can only suppress bba at best with co2.

Testing for doc is out of reach for common hobbyists but high nitrates is definetely a tell tale sign.

Use purigen to help absorb doc, dont overfeed, weekly pwc and monthly canister maintenace would keep bba at bay

Check ur bioload/filter capacity/filter maintenance/pwc schedule

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just another quick point, ur nitrate can be in good range (below 10 or even close to 0) and ur water polish untill super clear doesnt mean doc in ur water is good .. heavily planted tank can absorb nitrates so it can maintain at low level but ur doc in ur tank can only be reset by ----- water change ---- no 2 ways about it . Cause it is a carbon cycle, just as important as nitogen cycle

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am also struggling with BBA but here are my current mature tank set up and situation:
    1. 2ft tank, ph5, no co2 or ferts injection, temp 25-27 degree Celsius, 20+ rasboras, plants such as buceps fissidens etc about 70% densely planted, wc about 10% weekly.
    Situation - constantly growing BBA throughout the tank. Especially on slow growing plants like buceps and on air tubing and driftwood.

2. 1ft tank, ph7, no co2 nor ferts, temp 25 - 30, cherry shrimp only as fauna, densely planted with Moss, wc 30% weekly.
    Situation - no BBA at all. When I transferred the heavily BBA infested items over from 2ft to this tank, the BBA will die off within 2-3 days.

Just sharing my experience. Still finding the root cause in my 2ft tank.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I think Averagebro might have a point. I have not been doing any maintenance with my Eheim 2228 external filter since September last year. There might been lots of DOC in there. I better do something about it this weekend.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@popimac your tanks' situation seems to back up @Averagebro's theory.

• 2ft tank's bioload is much higher, produces more waste, hence higher DOC
    • 2ft tank's plant mass is higher too, and plants do produce waste, contributing to DOC
    • 2ft tank has less water changes, hence sustaining higher DOC

I doubt the temperature and PH difference is a contributing factor.

Food for thought! Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Choo View Post
    @popimac your tanks' situation seems to back up @Averagebro's theory.

• 2ft tank's bioload is much higher, produces more waste, hence higher DOC
    • 2ft tank's plant mass is higher too, and plants do produce waste, contributing to DOC
    • 2ft tank has less water changes, hence sustaining higher DOC

I doubt the temperature and PH difference is a contributing factor.

Food for thought! Thanks for sharing.
    Good point! Let me test the nitrate level for both tanks tonight and update here. Been lazy to test the parameters since the tanks had matured.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I too notice co2 and flow has little influence on BBA. I find them at high flow area just as much as low flow area. I managed to slow it down by doing excel spot treatment whenever I find new bundle of joy surfacing. It has worked so far, I don't see them much anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

I have a 2-feet heavily planted tank with pressurised CO2 and two T5 HO lights. I have just 4 otos and four black mollies. I do not feed them anything whatsoever. Since my bio-load is so low and there is no external artificial food in the system I doubt if I have any significant DOC in my tank. I have an Eheim 2217 which is operated at about half the capacity.

I got BBA on my anubias and HM leaves once. I immediately increased CO2 and increased water flow a little. The increased flow almost worked like magic on the HM, where due to the arrangment of the tank the effect of higher flow was immediately visible. On anubias I had to physically remove the BBA but once removed it has not come back, touch wood. I must say, I had reacted very early and took these two steps. Almost at the first hint of BBA. If things go out of control, these strategies may not be enough.

Feedback Score

That's very encouraging. I hope others will share their success story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe for me, I manage to eradicate BBA. But it was an extreme measure. Firstly, I remove all my fishes, 50+ fishes from my 2ftx2ftx2.5ft tank. Next I thoroughly clean my Eheim 2017 filter and replace all hoses, also clean my Hailea chiller by flushing it. The main idea is to remove as much muck from my filtration loop. Add a UV filter in the loop.

Next, I drain empty the tank of water and remove any muck on substrate, plants. Add 50/50 water/flourish excel to bottle spray and spray the whole tank. While leaving it to kill the bba, I use the same solution and cloth to wipe the external surface of the tank to prevent any BBA spores that might be reintroduce to the tank. Leave it to dry while I fill up my tank again and restart filtration. I also switch on the inline UV filter and chiller.

Restart lighting and CO2 injection. I then add twice the dosage of Algaexit for further treatment. Next thing is to sit back and relax for next few days. Some HC, Java fern and mini anubias melted but recovered. BBA turn white and slowly disappear. If any spots of BBA still exist within 3 days, empty water again and do spot treatment but for me all BBA dead during first treatment until now (8 months later).

For my fishes, I treat them with algaexit dose according to instruction for 1 week, doing daily 50% wc before treatment. I also add some excel to further destroy any BBA spores harbouring in the quarantine tank.

Following all these treatment, reintroduce the fishes. Having learnt the hard way of eliminating BBA, from then onwards, any plants or fishes I add, I will quarantine it for at least a week before introducing, this includes shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hello! If I'm running a canister filter with an external co2 reactor, how do I add a power head to increase my flowrate? Or will the external reactor slow down everything no matter the power head?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Hello! If I'm running a canister filter with an external co2 reactor, how do I add a power head to increase my flowrate? Or will the external reactor slow down everything no matter the power head?
    I believe you just need to install the power head inside the tank. External reactor will really slow down the flow.

Or what you want to know is how to increase the flow rate of your existing Canister filter?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think I managed to reduce my BBA. My BBA was only growing cuz of the rotting leaves of all my transition plants. The BBA wasn't persistent. when I change water and put the siphon hose above the BBA, they just went in easily and now my tank is really clean. There's still some BBA inside but I cleaned my canister, changed the water and now I'm just waiting to see if there'll be anymore BBA growth.
    Also, during the week, I tilted my lily pipe outlet so it slants towards the front glass and I guess it created greater flow?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Spot dosing of excel almost daily for a week. Off filter when spot dosing, u might lose some plants but i manage to clear all bba like this. You will also have to remove leaves that are infested with bba. Also reduced lighting after that and bba never appeared again

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Seems like quite a number of people having problems with BBA. I just went to C328/ C325, all 5 LFS out of stock for SAE . Is it true that Mollies also feed on BBA?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZIr View Post
    Seems like quite a number of people having problems with BBA. I just went to C328/ C325, all 5 LFS out of stock for SAE . Is it true that Mollies also feed on BBA?
    I doubt any living creature actually eats BBA unless you starve them to bones. Molly eats hair algae if I'm not wrong, but they'll pick fish food over it anytime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sae still available at nature aquarium, petmart or seaview, last week. You may give a call to them before you make a visit

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have successfully eradicate BBA from one of my 2 ft tank using Api Algaefix. It is into its 4 week now and I am still dosing it as per recommended for maintanence. Please note, all my Malayan shrimps and snail died but the BBA is gone. Very potent. But the fishes and plant is perfectly intact.

If if you want to treat your tank with Algaefix, please transfer out your shrimps and snails.

BTW, Algaexit don't really work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast