Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Sump on a Nano??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, previously i posted about a nano tank of mine that's been invaded by algae and i've torn it down, currently in it's DSM period. In the meantime, i've been thinking, since it's only a 5 gallon tank, mean only for display by it's own, can i add like another 10 gallon sump and hid that in the cabinet, just to bump up the total volume of the tank and maybe it'll be better that way?

Since for the nano tank i'm just planning on come carpet monte carlo and maybe a moss tree so these are all slowing growing plants that won't do much in helping to absorb the nutrients that caused algae in the first place, and there's simply no more space to plant anything more, so i'm thinking adding a bigger sump/refugium into the system might help?

I've quite new into the planted tank hobby, and i've only heard of bigger tanks with smaller sumps, i'm not sure if this would work, any ideas from the pros around here?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Sump on a Nano??

If you're willing to get another tank, might as well make an algae scrubber

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there Klevin! Of course it's possible. However it will be a bit of a waste to use such a big tank as a sump. In my opinion, aquariums generally do not need a sump unless it is a horribly big one and you are keeping high waste output fishes like goldfish or you need pristine water quality at any one point in time for your fishes as you are keeping delicate or exotic fish. Try going for a HOB as those should provide enough filtration surface area for your nano tank. However if you really want to try out a sump for a nano tank, go ahead! However, it might be a challenge finding a place to hide your sump since it's twice the capacity of your display tank.
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimplicity View Post
    If you're willing to get another tank, might as well make an algae scrubber
    Hi there Shrimplicity! I've seen Aquarists make these Algae Scrubbers and I'm not sure if they work. However, I don't think you'll need such a big tank just for an algae scrubber. You can watch King Of DIY's mini algae scrubber video and perhaps try making one of those. They are smaller and I think will work just fine.
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just curious... if you can put a 10 gallon sump tank in the cabinet, how come the actual main tank on top is only 5 gallon?

I would assume you would also be able to put a 10 gallon (or larger) main tank on the cabinet too, that will increase valuable planting space alot more.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Wow, that's for all your valuable advices. Actually, I'm sharing the cabinet with another 10gal, this 5gal fits just perfectly next to it.

This idea came to me because i have a opaline gourami and i really want to showcase it in its own tank. Currently he's in a 7ish gallon tub with my extra plants and bio media. You'll be surprised how much this little guy poops, i think he's comparable to a goldfish in terms of bioload so i think if i want pristine water quality, a single 5gal is not really enough. Just my 2cents from past experiencesso what do you guys think. My cabinet have side slots for hoses so maybe doable. I might use that tub and add a pump to it to make it into a makeshift sump.

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I see... its an unusual setup, but definitely do-able.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Hmmm... maybe I'll give it a try, will post some pictures if it succeeds

Sent from my Z00D using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, adding additional water volume to a small tank via a big sump certainly also helps to prolong the time interval between the routine partial water changes to keep nitrate levels low and comfortable. That said, an oversized sump also helps prevent worries of floor flooding in the event of pump failure.

Go for it.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

If you weren't so sold on aquascaping, which certainly is beautiful, a plant like the super successful guppy grass, Najas guadalupensis, which does well for me in tanks from 2.5 gallon to 20 is an option. Unruly plant but it uses nutrients.

Gregg

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

My bad, I did not get how much your gourami is messy, something like platys in my mind. I tried to find scaping ideas for Najas, could not. Your original idea is novel.

Gregg