Country
    Singapore

baby tears begin to melt help

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys,

Just planted baby tears for 4 days in my aquarium and this morning few begins to melt. They are bubbling fine. Growth in length is visible.

I increase the CO2 output to about 1.5 bubbles per second.
    3ft tank
    4 x t5tube
    temperature always maintain at 25degrees.

Wondering if I increase the CO2output is the correct action to rectify this ?

I have definitely enough light source as this tank is place at my balcony, place cardboards around the 4 side walls of the tank to prevent sunlight rays from producing algae in my tank. Only leaving the top of the tank expose to sunlight.

Guys with growing baby tears experience hopefully may provide me with some useful tips =) thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: baby tears begin to melt help

Its normal for parts of dwarf baby tears (aka Hemianthus callichtroides / HC) to melt when introduced into a new tank environments, its the side-effect of the plant transitioning from emersed to submersed form. The HC you bought from LFS came in a plastic carton? Those are grown emersed at local plant farms.

Just remove the melted parts to reduce rotting material in the tank, eventually new submersed growth will develop and carpet the tank. Just have to maintain ample Co2, lights and nutrients to encourage the plant growth. If you have no livestock in the tank, its okay to increase the Co2 injection rate to boost the carbon supply. Use a drop checker to monitor that the Co2 is being maintained at optimal levels.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com