Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Reliable places to buy shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm intending to buy some fire red shrimps today to start a shrimp colony in my tank, so I was just wondering where do you guys go to get healthy and cheap shrimps from!
    I'm not talking about those in bulk bags because those aren't the most reliable even thought they're cheap.

I know that East Ocean sells fire reds at $10 for 10 and you can even pick them yourself!
    Aquatic Avenue has really healthy ones buy they cost $1.80 for one.

Anyone knows where I can find healthy and cheap shrimps? Or are there any people breeding and selling from home?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Reliable places to buy shrimps

Hi, you can check out LFS Aquarium at Clementi block 325. Next block to C328. You can self-pick the shrimps too.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why don't just ask a favour from some mature aquarists to give you 2 shrimps (male and female) and let them multiply by themselves? I got a male and female shrimp from my friend and now have have about 20 shrimps after 4 months!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HAHA I wish I knew anyone that would be giving...
    Went to EO yesterday and bought 10 female shrimps because there were no males left...
    And I realise the fire reds at EO selling for 10 for $10 is basically Cherry shrimps at AA that costs $0.60 only.
    The fire reds at AA are the real deal at $1.80

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    HAHA I wish I knew anyone that would be giving...
    Went to EO yesterday and bought 10 female shrimps because there were no males left...
    And I realise the fire reds at EO selling for 10 for $10 is basically Cherry shrimps at AA that costs $0.60 only.
    The fire reds at AA are the real deal at $1.80
    Quick tip when shopping for shrimps at places like EO and most other LFS that offer good $1 fire red prices... it all depends on when you buy the shrimps.

If you are the first to pick when a fresh shipment arrives, out of the initial hundreds available you can hand pick the highest quality fire reds available of the lot that have solid opaque thick red shells. On the other hand, if you pick the shrimps much later when their quantities are lower, then all the good ones would already be taken by other buyers, only left the lowest grade transparent scattered color ones (aka low grade fire reds or sakura).

So the key is to be fast hand fast leg, must get there first to pick the best ones.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 2nd Apr 2016 at 13:33.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Reliable places to buy shrimps

This was what I managed to get at EO and yes they were the "left overs" I guess... Would it be wise for me to add darker coloured fire reds down the road or will that just waste the good genes of the fire reds..?
    Last edited by Ryan Peh; 2nd Apr 2016 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, it all depends on your own preference of what quality you want to maintain. If you really want to keep and breed those fire reds with solid red shells, then best to only hand pick and keep those high grade ones in the tank, all the others with lower grade shells transfer out. Culling aggressively is pretty much the only way to improve the chances of getting same or higher quality offspring.

On the other-hand, if the shrimps are mainly kept as algae management crew and to add some dashes of color in the tank, then can close one eye. Let nature take its course.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Just be careful when you purchase the shrimp from LFS, i had experience from C328. I brought in bulk like 30pcs or 50pcs. When i brought it home, i saw at least 10 fire red shrimp with greenish parasite on it saddle. I have isolate it the affected one. in the end all 10 dead. Luckily it never spread to others.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Just be careful when you purchase the shrimp from LFS, i had experience from C328. I brought in bulk like 30pcs or 50pcs. When i brought it home, i saw at least 10 fire red shrimp with greenish parasite on it saddle. I have isolate it the affected one. in the end all 10 dead. Luckily it never spread to others.
    That's why I don't normally buy from any random LFS, specially those in bulk bags... I only buy from places who takes great care of their shrimps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Green Chapter at Macpherson Road also has a big tank of FR shrimp to pick from. Also a place with wide selection of shrimps.

Other than this, Aquarist Chamber at Upper Serangoon too, but I don't see much Neos in stock when I was there yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, do anyone know do seaview or any place taiwan bee shrimp at great price thank

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Best is to join local Facebook group for auction (local breeder) Taiwan shrimp. If not drop by aquarist chamber, a lot of nice shrimp but price not friendly lol.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For Aquarist Chamber, just to be fair to them, not all expensive. they do carry some premium shrimps, so for alot of us who walk in the first time, we will be awestruck and the expensive impression stays. lol

But on the left of the shop, they do have affordable ones such as $2 CRS which you can net yourself and condition/quality is confirm much better than those in the pre-packs. As for PRL, can range from $15 to $1000 per piece. Just depends on your appetite. =p

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Best is to join local Facebook group for auction (local breeder) Taiwan shrimp. If not drop by aquarist chamber, a lot of nice shrimp but price not friendly lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What is the Facebook group name?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jisd View Post