Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Nitrate level around 80+ppm. Normal?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nitrate level around 80+ppm. Normal?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello,

Is it normal to have 80+ppm Nitarate in the aquarium?I measured this just after the light off and I did the 50% water change the day before. I used the API Nitrate test kit to measure the level to see I need to dose the nitrate. That level of nitrate, i think I don't need to dose any extra.

My tab water nitrate ppm is around 20+ppm. But what cause this jump to 80+ppm?

I am using the ADA new amazonia soil for about 2.5 months.

The API test kit can show 0ppm when I tested with Distill water to prove that test kit has no issue.

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Nitrate level around 80+ppm. Normal?

80+ppm is considered on the high side, while most hardy fishes and shrimp can tolerate those levels for a period of time, its still a good idea to reduce it and keep it at more moderate levels of below <40ppm.

Most likely the plants (if any) in your tank are just not consuming and removing the nitrates as fast as its produced, or the bio-load is too high, hence the accumulation over time.

Increasing the density of fast growing plants, reducing bio-load, cleaning the filter more frequently and doing more water changes will help keep the nitrates in check.

Since your tap water already has 20+ppm nitrates (which is also considered high for tap water, ideally it should be zero or at least at lower levels, might have to check your water source or pipings), your current water changes will have less effect on reducing nitrate levels. So either have to do more frequent water changes to compensate, or switch to distilled water, or purify the tap water using an RO/DI unit before using.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 3rd Apr 2016 at 12:18.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you Urban Aquaria.

Currently I have 2 Angels, 3 Gouramis, 2 SAEs, 3Otos and 3 tetras in 180L tank. Is it considered as high bio load?

I am also suspecting that my plants are not consuming and removing the nitrates. I will increase the density of fast growing plants and monitor it.

By any chance, anyone has your nitrate level of the tap water in singapore. I stay in Bishan and my tap water is 20+ppm.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, the thing about bio-load is that other than the number and size of fishes in the tank, it also depends on how much food they consume and waste they produce and whether the waste is removed effectively by regular maintenance and plants. When nitrate levels start to creep up higher over time, even when there are few fishes, its an indication that the current overall bio-load is higher than what the tank can naturally handle. Do note that plants that are not doing well and melting also contribute to the organic waste bio-load too, so its always good to trim and remove any rotting parts.

Not sure about other areas, but i stay in Bukit Batok and my tap water nitrates have been zero or at undetectable levels so far (yellow color on API test kit)... though i have also tested the tap water at a friend's home at Bedok area (older 30+ year old HDB flat), which displayed 40+ppm nitrate levels... so i guess water quality between different areas and old/new buildings can differ quite abit.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com