4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Smile 32 Litre "Bucephalandra Garden" Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This started as a side project to consolidate some of the bucephalandra variants that i've been collecting. It gradually evolved into an opportunity to try my hand at aquascaping a simple layout based on these types of plants.

I noticed that many of the bucephalandra tank photos online tend to be rather dark and shadowy (perhaps its the type of lighting or camera effects used?), so i figured it might be a nice change to showcase a bucephalandra tank that has a brighter tone instead.

Initially i wanted to leave the sand area in front open with plans to keep a group of dwarf corydoras fishes... but i'll probably end up just filling up the space with more plants as i collect them.

Currently there are around 15+ varieties of bucephalandra in this tank. All their individual rhizomes are tied to small pebbles which are then partially buried under the sand and hidden, so it looks as if the plants are just sitting on top of the sand. This method also allows for easy shifting and relocation too.

I guess the top-down view could be reminiscent of what the plants may look like submersed along the edges of a jungle stream...

Its a low-tech setup, based on a 2ft low-profile crystal glass tank (L60cm x D30cm x H18cm) illuminated with just an old generation Up Aqua Z-Series Pro LED light set and filtered by an Eheim Ecco Pro 130 unit. I dose Tropica Specialized fertilizer weekly to maintain a steady nutrient supply.

Cherry shrimps, horned nerite snails and zebra otocinclus help to keep algae in check.

One of my favorite variants, Bucephalandra sp. "Elegant Blue".

Another interesting addition, Bucephalandra sp. "Mini Skeleton King".

Looking forward to collecting and adding more plants soon!
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 32 Litre "Bucephalandra Garden" Tank

Yet again another amazing scape... *in awe*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Oh man! The "Elegant Blue" looks awesome!!! It looks more like a shade of purple, too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Really awesome!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Nice tank of Bucep, I have a few variant but it's nothing like yours, awesome collection. Did you trimmed off all the leaves with holes and imperfection?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Yet again another amazing scape... *in awe*
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaticlover View Post
    Really awesome!!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    Oh man! The "Elegant Blue" looks awesome!!! It looks more like a shade of purple, too.
    Yeah, the blue bucephalandra variants do sometimes tend to vary in shade from bluish to purplish according to the viewing angle. Many of those with green leaves also sport some shades of blue or purple at certain angles too. Very interesting plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Nice tank of Bucep, I have a few variant but it's nothing like yours, awesome collection. Did you trimmed off all the leaves with holes and imperfection?
    Yes, i usually try my best to regularly trim off those deteriorated leaves with too many holes... only keeping the good leaves, though sometimes i also close one eye and still retain those leaves that have one or two holes but are otherwise healthy.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Your buceps look fantastic, especially the elegant blue. I have a couple of stalks and looking for more. Can I know where do you get yours from?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Awesome will keep following.. i notice there is no chiller or fan.. thought they said bucep need to be in cooler water.. bro UA please advice..
    Good fish ain't cheap... Cheap fish ain't gd...

Breeding Apisto inca and Apisto guttata...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    Your buceps look fantastic, especially the elegant blue. I have a couple of stalks and looking for more. Can I know where do you get yours from?
    Thanks!

I source my plants from various sellers, fellow hobbyists and from overseas suppliers too... sometimes have to hunt high and low for specific variants as they are not available all the time, since the majority of bucephalandra are still wild harvested.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Apistoinka View Post
    Awesome will keep following.. i notice there is no chiller or fan.. thought they said bucep need to be in cooler water.. bro UA please advice..
    Well, i've been keeping bucephalandra plants for around 2+ years in non-chilled planted tanks and they have managed to grow well so far, hence i guess they can adapt to a wide range of temperatures. Cooler water may be a bonus, but from my experience it doesn't seem to be a strict requirement.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Never fail to amaze us! May I ask if you encounter any algae problem with buceps? Mine are always faced with bba issues. Argh

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for enlighting.. guess i can give it a try.. did not try as many said they need chiller..
    Good fish ain't cheap... Cheap fish ain't gd...

Breeding Apisto inca and Apisto guttata...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by popimac View Post
    Never fail to amaze us! May I ask if you encounter any algae problem with buceps? Mine are always faced with bba issues. Argh
    Thanks!

I pre-treat all my plants with anti-pest and anti-algae chemicals, and also quarantine them for observation, before introduction into a tank. So i usually don't encounter those types of pest algae issues nowadays.

You can check out an example of my process in this thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...amp-Quarantine

Due to their wild harvested origins, i notice that bucephalandra tend to harbor a surprising amount of pests and algae, so you really do need to treat them beforehand.

In addition, make sure the tank itself doesn't have pest algae already present the tank in the first place too. If the tank already has existing pest algae issues, they will tend to affect slower growing plants like bucephalandra alot more (especially when they are weak and melting during transition), so its best to solve and totally eliminate those pesky algae issues before adding such plants. It will save alot of hassle trying to solve algae problems after the plants are introduced.

As always... controlling of light, nutrients, parameters, circulation etc do affect algae growth too, so you have to work at keeping everything in balance.

Common algae like green dust algae, brown diatoms or green spot algae will usually still occur in all tanks at varying levels... but those are easily managed and cleared away by algae eaters like cherry shrimps and horned nerite snails (very effective against GDA and GSA), hence the mandatory stocking of those helpful livestock in all my tanks. This combination has so far helped to greatly minimize algae in my tanks and plants.
    Last edited by Urban Aquaria; 24th Apr 2016 at 23:09.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi UA, may I know what sand are you using and how much sand is that actually?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Peh View Post
    Hi UA, may I know what sand are you using and how much sand is that actually?
    I'm using Sudo Reef Sand, just around 1 liter of sand... creates a thin 5mm layer of sand. Its mainly for anchoring the pebbles attached to the rhizomes and helping to keep the plants sitting upright.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    I'm using Sudo Reef Sand, just around 1 liter of sand... creates a thin 5mm layer of sand. Its mainly for anchoring the pebbles attached to the rhizomes and helping to keep the plants sit upright.
    The colour of the sand is really bright and the grains are very fine. I'm looking for different options for my upcoming rescape!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice setup UA!! Impressive, you got bucep from Allan? So this setup without any chiller?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Dscheng View Post
    Very nice setup UA!! Impressive, you got bucep from Allan? So this setup without any chiller?
    Thanks!

So far, i haven't gotten any buceps from allan, mine are mainly from overseas suppliers and other local sellers/fellow hobbyists.

Yeah, this setup doesn't use a chiller. In fact, i've not used chillers on any of my tanks keeping buceps over the past few years.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yea I'm one of those who like to photograph buceps in the dark . but seems like your bright and 'airy' setup also brings out the colors pretty well. Simple yet gorgeous setup . Maybe getting some red variants will add more color.

Btw, what are those 2 yellow balls on the right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ZIr View Post
    Yea I'm one of those who like to photograph buceps in the dark . but seems like your bright and 'airy' setup also brings out the colors pretty well. Simple yet gorgeous setup . Maybe getting some red variants will add more color.

Btw, what are those 2 yellow balls on the right?
    If I'm not wrong, those are golden clams which UA bought awhile back!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast