Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Grren thread/ hair algae

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys been having this for a couple weeks now.

2ft tank
    C02 2 bubble per min
    LED lights with 6 hours photo period. Second light on for 1 to 2 hours daily.

Algexit and Excel 1 week liao doesnt seem to work. Going to try blackout and adding black molly or rosy barb. 10 yamato shrimp plus 20 plus fire shrimp don't seem to eat it.

Based on water test today nitrates at 25ppm.

Been trying to remove as much of it using toothbrush as possible but i think it makes it worse....strands break up and circulate all over the aquarium.

Would appreciate any advice here. Tks!

Sent from my LG-H961N using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Grren thread/ hair algae

Maybe can try Siamese Algae Eater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try to increase the CO2. 2 bubbles per min is too low in my opinion. This type of algae is the result of Low CO2 or bad water circulation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I realized my yamato shrimp died when I was doing 4 bubbles per sec in a 60 liter tank. like c02 poisoning.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

AlgExit isn't an immediate cure solution, instead it works by slowly weakening and inhibiting the algae over a period of time, making it easier for your algae eaters to consume and manage it.

Run the treatment for the bottle recommended full 4 week period and introduce in more shrimps... either more yamato shrimps (ie. 15-20 more) or alot more cherry shrimps (ie. 50-60 more). For algae infestations like this, you'll actually need alot more shrimps to do the job. Thats why people usually say "intro in an army of shrimps".

Don't feed the shrimps and only feed the fishes very lightly, like every few days only a small amount. What you want is to create hungry shrimps who will be encouraged to munch on the hair algae instead of waiting for pellet food.

As the hair algae get weakened and the army of shrimps start to eat more of it, over time you should see the algae gradually decrease until its cleared.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tks guys got some ideas at least got hope

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes.. I feel yamato shrimp is lazy. Once you feed that with food. They are lazy to eat algae. Must starve them to do the job. You can use red nose shrimp, they are very effective and hardworking. Once you have hair algae, make sure you dont dose excel. It will really accelerate the hair algae growth.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So far i feed my fish once a week only. The shrimps hardly have anything to eat except cannibalize other dead shrimps haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So i got 10 more yamato and 10 red nose shrimp. Was told the black molly will eat all my dwarf shrimp so decided against them

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm of no help, never won the battle against this alage, especially when its all entangled in HC/MC... I tried red nose, algexit, increase co2, increase water circulation, blackout, you name it, I tried it. Looking at the extend of your infestation, it's quite a challenging task...

I have rescape a few times because of this, prevention is better than cure. These days I removed the whole patch whenever I see it growing. It's easier to regrow the plants than to fight this algae once it established itself.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Since your plants are rooted, Trim everything agressively. Try your best to remove as much algae as possible and chemical bomb it with anti-algae chemical.

Your plant will recover in 2~3 weeks and no rescape is necessary.

It happened to me once, I was on business trip and my maid dose 1 month worth of fert in 5 days and my CO2 runs dry at the same time. Recipe for major disaster.

I trimmed my HC, stem plants, ......everything almost bare and dose Anti-algae. In 3 days, the HC and stem plant starts to bounce back. 2 weeks later, everything almost back to normal with no algae in sight. Fishes and shrimps zero casualty. .

Looking at your situation. you need a lawn mower not shrimps
    Last edited by Realcaster; 26th Apr 2016 at 15:54.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wah sounds dire. I will try for 2 more weeks the algexit and clean up crew then decide

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hair Algae under control and gone 2 weeks later. Following measures were taken:
    1. 2 weeks of Algexit and excel at recommended dosage
    2. Mowed down and cut off all affected plants and areas aggressively
    3. Added 6 x SAE, 10 yamato and 40 red nose shrimp
    4. Feeding of fish done weekly only. As a result my 20 cardinal tetras were hungry and started attacking freshly molted yamato shrimp (lost about 4) and also the red nose and existing fire shrimp. The tetras had to go and a friend adopted them
    4. Lowered lighting period to 6 hours with hourly 15 min black outs spaced between using a timer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for sharing. Great to hear everything under control.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Good to hear that everything is under control now..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My guppies are giving birth to fries every now and then, and thus my tank will always have fries roaming around.

Will SAE eat up the fries?

My hair algae problem is consider bad although it doesn't bother me much. Still I thought I can do something about it by introducing some livestock.

Is yamato shrimp expensive? I don't want them ended up being my guppies food.