Advertise here

Advertise here
    Greenie's one looks good

Sent from my Mi 4i using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eriocaulon Quinguangular/ Red Eriocaulon

1 very important factor i discovered for red e.quin - strong light, and I mean really really strong light.

I bought quite a few from GC. After 3 weeks planted at different locations in my main tank, the ones that are really doing well are those that are planted in pots suckered to the surface near the light where i can see faster and bigger growth. Initially, i tot it was due to the base fert that i used for the pots but even after adding root tabs to the e.quins planted on the substrates, i still see signs of melting.

On one chance occasion of meeting Roland (GC), I asked him what was the secret to his entire of healthy looking e.quin. He just said [i paraphrase] "I don't care about parameters, just strong light and heavy fert".

I came back to my main tank and wondered, I am already using Evo Green Element, (which is visibly way brighter than the old Beamworks I had previously) and I am also using enhance red/blue light, how can it not be strong enough?

So i diy-ed a lampshade, and fix a OSRAM 12.5W LED (which claimed to output 120W) and used it to focus light just on the substrate last week.

Yes, I got more GDA on the hardscape where the light focused on. But for the first time, I saw my plants (eusteralis stellata, vietnam, echindorus, rotala macendra, alternatera reineiki) pearled just about an hour after i switched on the diy spot light. 3 days later, i saw new shoots coming out from the inner core of the 2 e.quins which the light is focus on. Today, the e.quins look firmer, no signs of leaves melting and new shoots appearing still.

I did not change my fert regime. The only change was strong light, and in my case, very very strong light indeed.

So I think either I find a way to deal with GDA, or i need a dedicated low profile tank to plant e.quin if i really want to keep this plant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

2nd picture is a specimen which was doing badly on a substrate location. I replanted in pot and shifted it up and now it is growing new leaves.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    2nd picture is a specimen which was doing badly on a substrate location. I replanted in pot and shifted it up and now it is growing new leaves.
    Woah...! Thank you Plantedpot for your advise and thank you for sharing your experience

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Few days of intense light. The one that wasn't doing well on the substrate has splitted new shoots.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Strong lights mean bba headache... Hahahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For me, it's gda...but recently a high dose of phosphate seemed to reduce. Need to observe further. Will report back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by plantedpot View Post
    1 very important factor i discovered for red e.quin - strong light, and I mean really really strong light.

I bought quite a few from GC. After 3 weeks planted at different locations in my main tank, the ones that are really doing well are those that are planted in pots suckered to the surface near the light where i can see faster and bigger growth. Initially, i tot it was due to the base fert that i used for the pots but even after adding root tabs to the e.quins planted on the substrates, i still see signs of melting.

On one chance occasion of meeting Roland (GC), I asked him what was the secret to his entire of healthy looking e.quin. He just said [i paraphrase] "I don't care about parameters, just strong light and heavy fert".

I came back to my main tank and wondered, I am already using Evo Green Element, (which is visibly way brighter than the old Beamworks I had previously) and I am also using enhance red/blue light, how can it not be strong enough?

So i diy-ed a lampshade, and fix a OSRAM 12.5W LED (which claimed to output 120W) and used it to focus light just on the substrate last week.

Yes, I got more GDA on the hardscape where the light focused on. But for the first time, I saw my plants (eusteralis stellata, vietnam, echindorus, rotala macendra, alternatera reineiki) pearled just about an hour after i switched on the diy spot light. 3 days later, i saw new shoots coming out from the inner core of the 2 e.quins which the light is focus on. Today, the e.quins look firmer, no signs of leaves melting and new shoots appearing still.

I did not change my fert regime. The only change was strong light, and in my case, very very strong light indeed.

So I think either I find a way to deal with GDA, or i need a dedicated low profile tank to plant e.quin if i really want to keep this plant.

Thank you so much for this info bro.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is an emerse sample under strong lights heavy fert. No leaves melting and splits like a weed. No the usual transition symptoms at all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am so envy of you.... How do you control your fertilizar? My bba growing everywhere

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

dun envy. the sample you see is in my farm tank. its a 40x25x25 setup. Plants only, no form of other fauna. The CO2 rate is 11bps, and i dose it with occasional algaecide. E.Quin if want to thrive really must strong lights heavy ferts and rally really clean and algae-free. If I am right, the only way to grow this picky plant (and let it thrive) is to start all the way with Reverse Osmosis water to minimize the presence of any algae spore, then re-mineralize and chiong all the way with strong lights heavy fert. Now i am propagating e-quins inside the farm tank, and once i have enough samples, i probably will set up a dedicated e-quin/ eriocaulon tank.

My main tank e-quins are only surviving. Recently I tried a new stunt and almost killed them. UV-B spectrum bulb and the whole specimen shrunk like nobody's business. Not melted, but literally like someone used a shrinking gun on them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

That is really very tough...! Using of ro water all the way, my wife will kill me, now only issue is how to keep the water sparkling clean?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Product of strong light heavy fert. More heads coming. And it's an emerse sample to begin with.

Just did a reset on my farm tank. Used Borneo wild substrate additive, bactercrystal, jbl florapol, advance plant soil.

Water stabilize to 0 nitrite, 20ppm nitrate over 2 days. Continued adding photosynthetic bacteria from ISTA. Daily dose 5 ml of self mixed phosphate, 5 ml of seachem potassium, 1 ml bw lush, 1 ml bw growth. So far so good, no algae although using 100w output led bulb. CO2 is 2bps and light schedule is 9am to 2pm, blackout, 5pm to 10pm, blackout. Got this schedule from dennerle website.

Last edited by plantedpot; 24th Jul 2016 at 18:30.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Give up planting this fussy plant inside my main tank. Going to set up a dedicated eriocaulon tank once I stabilize all the current eriocaulon inside my farm tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

plantedpot you seen to grow it well from the last post.
    Best Regards, TS
    PlantLog Garden Cryptocoryne, Bucephalandra .....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

At the cost of general aesthetics of the main tank...got to run ancillary light and heavy dose fert which causes quite a bit of algae on other plants. Plus need to put in plants that control algae.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am using maxspect light at 100% from 12pm to 8pm. Co2 at 11bps... I move the plant nearer to the lights but it still not doing that well as I hope. The amount of fert I add is a lot more than what you add. Somemore mine is a 3 ft planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The specimen you have has the roots established? If not try wrapping it with a very very thin layer of filter wool then replant it. Bro, I was using beam works, then I change to evo green element and eventually to t5 x 4. I thought my light was very strong also, until I added the ancillary light at the bottom of the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Picture says it all. But really so much algae on all other plants that I cannot tahan.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast