1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eriocaulon Quinguangular/ Red Eriocaulon

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Well done....! I suspect my lights is not good enough for it. I give up trying this plant. My wallet is very painful now. Hahaha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One curious thought about this erio. What happens when i don't actively split the motherplant? I had a beautiful Erio Cinerum which didn't flower at all but kept growing until about 10cm diameter. Then one day, it seemed to just die and the whole plant went limp. Will this happen to all erios which don't spilt?

I mean we can't expect a plant to live forever, but does it mean we should actively split the plantlets in case the mother plant's life come to an end?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Bought the azoo one... Will try it out. Thanks man..!
    Seudzar/plantedpot, where do you get the azoo or ista substrate fert from? Looking for one containing iron for my red plants but seems those selling (ocean free etc) are mainly NPK stuff, low to no iron content? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I bought this and wonder if it's the eriocaulon quinguangular (the one on the left)? Saw some green algae on the leaves after I plant it into my tank......does spraying hydrogen peroixde help? Also can someone help ID the bright green one on the right? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi goalkeeper, yours is Eriocaulon quinguangular in emerged form. Very challenging plant for it to convert to submerge. Hope the roots are healthy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Magpie. The Lfs uncle told me it's planted submerged for a while now and stable....that's why I bought to try out....will see how it goes in few weeks time. But really don't like some of the leaves covered with algae! Any idea what's the green roundish plant?? Was told easier than the eriocaulon red. Bought it earlier and have this for few weeks now.....so far so good!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Seudzar/plantedpot, where do you get the azoo or ista substrate fert from? Looking for one containing iron for my red plants but seems those selling (ocean free etc) are mainly NPK stuff, low to no iron content? Thanks.
    I got seaview. The iron part you might want to consider to get seachem iron supplement.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok I go check it out. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've seen quite a lot of red erios on sale recently at C328, and the samples are multi-headed some really big.

I guess the supplier must have got a new source.

This plant is ridiculously difficult to maintain and all you need is just luck. I guess if you do get it to be thriving, then you should be a very lucky person.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Goalkeeper View Post
    Thanks Magpie. The Lfs uncle told me it's planted submerged for a while now and stable....that's why I bought to try out....will see how it goes in few weeks time. But really don't like some of the leaves covered with algae! Any idea what's the green roundish plant?? Was told easier than the eriocaulon red. Bought it earlier and have this for few weeks now.....so far so good!
    The green one looks like Eriocaulon Polaris or E. Cinerum.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Propagated my original red Erio over the year, have about 6 bunches now from the original one I bought.
    It grows well in ADA soil. As mentioned, it likes bright light; the main issue for many is how to keep an algae free tank with very bright lights - and this has to do with many other factors; tank cleanliness, nutrient dosing, CO2 control, water changes etc.
    I think that for many people, the lack of optimal CO2 levels is probably the main reason why the plant struggles.
    Doesn't seem very sensitive to higher/tropical temps, but I think it does prefer lower KH range (so don't keep it in tank with seiryu).
    It is quite easy to split by hand once it gets larger. Seems to naturally split when I transfer them from tank to tank.

I grew a couple of these in Fishy business in the tank near the toliet - only weekly dosing, though used osmocote in substrate. I think rich substrate works better than very rich water column dosing.
    In the tank below
    my NO3 <5ppm, PO4 ~ 2ppm, and I dose Fe only 0.05ppm every other day.

Th

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For most of us who tried it b4 and failed, I guess will stay away from it even if it cost $2 a piece.
    It's demand & care is a bit too unenjoyable.
    Very bright lights = algae = stress.
    I'll stick to alternatives like Alternanthera reineckii 'Mini'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mine is dying after only 2 days. All the other plants OK. Full light, co2 and chiller

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I believe it's not a true aquatic plant per se.
    It cannot be so difficult to survive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It is a true aquatic. Grows continually under water over long periods. I started with 1 a year back that I split into the 3 above; and by now I've split each of my large ones into 8 - 10 plants. It grows well underwater if your parameters are good. Much more stable than other more difficult plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678