2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 4ft Valley Garden

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I got it from oversea online store. Looks like a CCFL Tube with its own cable, splash proof too. It gives out 28W and in the sequence of 2 red (650nm) and 1 blue LED (450nm).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice setup and powerful plant growth.
    My tank is a mess, all stem plants just melt. Only japanese hair grass growing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kenng View Post
    Very nice setup and powerful plant growth.
    Thank you Kenny. As for stem plant, as long as the water condition is stable, they should recover.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Now,as promised in my earlier thread about the Hydroponics lights, I am able to share some preliminary results from my testing.

1. The Red LED (650nm) and Blue (450nm) does help in plant growth for sure. I achieve compact growth, but not conclusive in terms of larger leaves. I used to have fast growing stem plants, but the growth is not proportional, ie. it grows fast, but the nodes distance between the leaves are far apart and the leave are not as "Fat" and big. I believe the Blue (450nm) actually "stunt" the growth a little and the Red (650nm) actually helps the leave to grow bigger and redder/greener. It is pretty apparent when I observe my plant growth in the last 9 weeks. But I cant say for sure how the blue and red LED "really" works. Maybe some expert can comment.

2. I have being dosing very little iron lately............to dose lots of iron to make plant "REDDER" is really not necessary and a myth. (Now this is a can of worms :P)
    I believe presents of iron is essential for plants to be RED, over dosing does not really make it "Redder". Overall water condition with the present of sufficient/balance NPK and micros is essential for plant growth. If you have a Red plant, it will be RED....period.. that's what a senior experience brother here told me when I just started out 8 months ago and I completely agree with him now.

3. Water Condition and stability. This is heavily neglected topic and not often discussed. All living things will adapt to the environment as long as the change is not too drastic. Fishes will adapt faster than plants. So do not fluctuate water condition too drastically, plants will likely have go through a transition period again if you have a drastic change in fertilization regime. It is not uncommon to hear from some "Uncle" which they just leave the tank alone and do the regular water change and minimum fert for the last 10yrs and the plants just looks as good. They have being doing the same thing for the last 10yrs.

4. Lastly, those brothers with 2ft and smaller tank do not be dismay if your planted tank fails. 4Ft tank is easier :P :P. the bigger water volume actually buffer any drastic change in water condition. I did the same thing on my 2ft tanks and I am still not able to achieve what I had for my 4ft. Those brothers that are able to keep 2ft tank in tip top condition have my utmost respect
    Last edited by Realcaster; 11th Aug 2016 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Realcaster, may I know the glass type and thickness of your tank?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by popimac View Post
    Hi Realcaster, may I know the glass type and thickness of your tank?

I am using 12mm thickness, full crystal glass for all 5 panels. Made by CR Aquarium.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    The lights looks interesting

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    I am using 12mm thickness, full crystal glass for all 5 panels. Made by CR Aquarium.
    Thats awesome!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with your observations on light but I have not seen stunting from strong blue myself. But then I haven't used disproportionately blue heavy lights for a long time. The differences in growth is subtle but as you said if you observe closely you can see. However to reach this point, aquarists would have to get the rest of the variables right. I think hydro fixtures in general offer a lot of value for money. Most commercial fixtures lack red in there spectrum charts - I have tried pushing people in that direction (shops/hobbyists), but people generally don't take the advice seriously. I talked a bit on this with Tom barr over at the US, also the same outcome over there, people don't take red seriously

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, I have also read on the red light spectrum needed but I have a question. Can any red led be used or you need a specified red light spectrum?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    I think I have beaten the BBA without using chemical warfare and BBA is in retreat. 90% are gone now

i am faced with a different problem. The newer leaves in 2 stalks of Rotala Sunset are showing sign of curl, twisted leaves.

when I notice that I quickly check my NO3 and true enough, my nitrate have bottoms out to zero. Apparently while fighting the BBA, I reduce feeding to once a day and moderately, and I did not dose KNO3, my Micros and Fe dosage was reduce by halves. From my past record with heavy feeding twice a day, I am able to sustain 10-15ppm of NO3. So I usually just dose K. I quickly dose KNO3 to bring Nitrate to 30ppm. But I doubt that was the main culprit for twisted leaves.

I was trying to figure out what is wrong, apparently, Rotala Sunset is behaving very differently from the rest of the plants, it seems to be hypersentive to micros... After lots of Google and consulting reputable LFS, they all point to Calcium deficiency... for curl or stunt new leaves. But it is unlikely I have Calcium deficiency becuase I have 60kg of Seiyu rocks in the tank which is actually weathered limestone and it will leak Calcium and raise GH and KH.

i recalled something I read in XiaoZhuang thread that he mentioned he dose Mn only because and he ever experienced stunt new leave growth issues before and he was using Seiyu rocks in that tank too.

Ok, more Google..... Apparently for effective usage of Ca, there is a ratio of 4:1, 4Ca:1Mn.... I check on seachem equilibrium ingredient and they maintained the same ratio for Ca and Mn.

i quickly diluted my MnSO4 dry fert and dose 1 ppm of Mn. and that was 2 days ago.

new leaves coming out of the Sunset for the for the 2 stalk that used to have twisted leaves are no longer twisted.

phew.... This is really a very interesting hobby

just sharing.

I am still monitoring, and hopefully Mn deficiency is the real cause.

Please comment and advises are welcome

Hi Realcaster..

I have the same issue with my new tank with rotala rotundifolia sending out twisted new growth and Limnophila vietnam was yellow and thin. Other plants seem ok.
    A lot of reasearch and the same cocnlucion that Ca deficiency causes such symptoms.

Interestingly, you raised the Mg to compensate for Ca from your rocks. Since my scape has driftwood mostly I do not know what is causing this issue. In any case, I dosed CaSO4 assuming the Ca-Mg ratio was off due to excess Mg. Seems to work with the new growth showing slight improvement. If this doesnt solve it I will try and dose MgSO4 assuming Ca is in excess. Unless I invest in a Ca/Mg test kit..

Very interesting hobby!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123