Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help with PH level!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have a planted tank and I recently bought a PH controller - the PH setting is at 6.5. So far, the PH level is very stable at 6.5 and I hardly see the PH controller turning on the CO2 system.

Now, I need to understand one matter - does it mean that if my PH level is at 6.5, there is sufficient CO2 level in the water to sustain my tanks? Does it also mean that once my plants start consuming the CO2, the PH level will increase to above 6.5 and that is when my PH controller starts the CO2 system?

Kinda confused on how PH relates with CO2.

Tx
    CK

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    CO2 reacts with water to form carbonic acid.

CO2 + H20 --> H+ + HC03-

Therefore, you see a pH drop.

To determine the CO2 in the water, you need to know the KH(carbonate hardness). Then you can use this chart from The Krib or this table from Aqua Botanic to determine the CO2 concentration.

For pH 6.5, you will probably need about 3 to 3.5 dKH for enought CO2 for your plants.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tx for the explanation. My KH is constant at 4 and PH at 6.5.

Can I plainly conclude and assume that there is sufficient CO2 to sustain the plant?

CK

----------------
    On 4/3/2002 1:00:08 PM

CO2 reacts with water to form carbonic acid.

CO2 + H20 --> H+ + HC03-

Therefore, you see a pH drop.

To determine the CO2 in the water, you need to know the KH(carbonate hardness). Then you can use this chart from The Krib or this table from Aqua Botanic to determine the CO2 concentration.

For pH 6.5, you will probably need about 3 to 3.5 dKH for enought CO2 for your plants.

BC
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can check your tap water wat pH is it? Maybe the source itself is low in pH.

Is your fishload high? It may be b'cos the fish is giving co2 enuf to hold the pH at 6.5 (juz a guess).
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sherchoo - tx.

Actually I am not concerned about the PH at 6.5 as that is what I set the PH Controller at - just want to be sure that at PH 6.5 and KH4, there is sufficient CO2 for the plants in the tank.

Best,
    CK

----------------
    On 4/3/2002 4:26:22 PM

Can check your tap water wat pH is it? Maybe the source itself is low in pH.

Is your fishload high? It may be b'cos the fish is giving co2 enuf to hold the pH at 6.5 (juz a guess).
    ----------------

beagle: check out www.thekrib.com for articles on co2. but to summarize, try 2 tests:

1) test ph in the morn before lights come on. test again in the evening just before lights out. see the diff in ph, it's due to your plants using the co2.

2) take tap water. test ph. take straw and blow in for a while. assume that co2 is saturated in the water. test ph again. this is the full ph range of the water that fluctuates with co2. you're supposed to keep your ph withing can't rem what percent of this range. must see thekrib article for the percent.

generally 6.5 should be ok I think, my ph is arnd there too and my plants are doing fine. I don't think you should worry too much about the nitty gritty of ph since it fluctuates thru the day anyway and doing so takes away the real focus which is to enjoy your plants! just check after 1 week to see if there's any progress of plant growth or look out for bubbling.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    beagle, if you had clicked on any of the links provided, you'd have seen that at pH 6.5, your co2 concentration is over the top
    if your fish are comfortable, then leave it be

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    One side question. How much does your pH controller cost? Tempted to buy one.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quite ex...near $600...Dennerle brand, works very well with my Dennerle solenoid/CO2 system. I gave up on my CO2 CarboPlus electronic system...couldnt get the damn thing to adjust properly.

----------------
    On 4/3/2002 5:47:39 PM

One side question. How much does your pH controller cost? Tempted to buy one.

BC
    ----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Wahhh... [:0] branded stuff... like BMW. Maybe I will look for a Hyundai...[:]

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    bclee

you could consider the one from JBL.....just that calibration is alittle awkward
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...