Country
    Singapore

CO2 Woes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone,

Recently I had the time to pop in on my small 20l tank and found out that the CO2 was at zero. I bought this co2 system in August from That Aquarium and in contrast, the 3l Co2 tank I got for my large tank is still at 1000psi although they were bought at thr same time.

So I suspect a leak and checked the timer to see if it was running CO2 at night as well but it was working fine. So now it comes to thr regulator and solenoid. I actually checked them just after I bought them by comparing readings after a week and there wasn't a significant decline to prove there was a leak.

I am going back to get a refill for that tank. What can I do if there is really a leak? Can I still exchange thr solenoid as it has been 3 months. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Happydanio

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: CO2 Woes

Just note that when a Co2 tank shows 1,000 PSI it doesn't necessarily mean its totally full... just that the Co2 is still in liquid state. It could be 50% used and still show 1,000+ PSI. Only when the tank is used up further and when the gas form remains, then the total pressure starts to decrease, usually thats an indication the cylinder is running out soon.

The 3L Co2 tank would naturally last longer if based on the same bps and injection timing, so just have to monitor it further to compare.

In your case, i'm not sure what is the overall injection rate and timing you use for the 2L Co2 tank, but 4 months of usage is quite fast. For reference, my 2L Co2 tank running at 1-2 bps 8 hours a day usually lasts for around a year of usage before the pressure drops below 500 PSI and i have to get it refilled (i usually try not to wait until its zero to avoid surprises).

If you are running at higher bps rates (ie 5-6 bps or more) over a longer injection period, a 2L Co2 tank can indeed be depleted much quicker, so 4 months of usage may not be that surprising.

As for leak testing, just apply some diluted soapy water around all the joints and connections on the Co2 system while it is in operation, watch for any bubbles appearing which will indicate leaks.

If you find that your solenoid regulator is faulty, just check with the LFS or seller to see if they offer and warranty exchange or repair service (since its only 3 months old).
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the help! The storekeeper advised me to use the same technique. My Co2 is at about 2bps over 6h. So I think there is definitely a leak.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They will advise to exchange tank if there's a leak. It is unknown whether you will need to pay additional charges. it depends on the warranty

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Have it filled again, turn the co2 on with solenoid and spray (soapy solution/water) on the cylinder, connectors etc to check for leaks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I had similar problem last time and changed the washer at recommendation of Seaview. It works after that even though the original washer wasn't broke!!