Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: malayan trumpet snails

malayan trumpet snails

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    should I introduce them into planted tank? anybody have any experience with them? was thinking:

pros:
    1)aerate substrate for you
    2) eat algae maybe the irritating spot algae on the tank wall
    3) interesting to see

cons:
    1) may eat plants (???)
    2) overpopulate
    3) diff to irradicate
    4) may cuz plants to unearth (????)

any advice?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    pros:
    1)aerate substrate for you
    True... loosen the substrate for better root growth

2) eat algae maybe the irritating spot algae on the tank wall
    not really, its more unsightly if they r all over the tank wall instead of algae

3) interesting to see

cons:
    1) may eat plants
    nope, only dead leaves

2) overpopulate
    yes

3) diff to irradicate
    remove them manually

4) may cuz plants to unearth
    nope.. too small to do anything

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmmm.... so where do i get these snails?
    GodLike InsiDe, IdioT OuTsiDe

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    come free with the plants you buy.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have plenty of MTS in my tank. And I just started with about 4 or 5 out of curiosity.

Simon has answered most of your questions. Here's more:
    1) They hide in the substrate all day and only comes out after lights out.
    2) My Clown Loaches don't eat them. I guess Puffer Fish can't get to them since they hide in the substrate.

So you can see - they are very hard to get rid of. But anyway, most likely you won't notice them unless you wake up in the night and turn on the tank lights. I hear someone suggested laying trap to catch them. Eg. put some algae flakes in a film container punched with some holes. So the MTS can crawl in and maybe too busy eating to crawl out.

So - anyone interested in MTS? Can get from me. []
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    KF, I had a horse-face loach that did a quick job of controlling (not wiping out) the snails.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

choy: haha horse faced loach??? quite farny to imagine a loach looking like that.

koah fong: but do you think they really do help your substrate? and do they really clean algae well and leave your plants alone?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The MTS only eat excess fish food, algae, dead or dying leaves. Just like the normal Ramshorn snails. They play a good role in maintaining the tank.
    As to whether they improve the substrate - probably. Their burrowing should make the substrate less compact and root growth will benefit. Maybe by leaving a trail of their excreta in the substrate is beneficial to the plants?
    As I said, I don't notice they are there in the day until the lights are out. So if you don't like the sight of the common snails in big numbers, then better not try MTS.

Still want? Can get from me. Call 92201986-pg.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/6/2002 9:09:24 AM

choy: haha horse faced loach??? quite farny to imagine a loach looking like that.

----------------
    Hey Darrel, really there is such a thing, but not that common. Originate from this region (heard that can be found in sandy streams in Southern Malaya). But you have to watch out there is another loach which is very similar but is quite aggressive (I think the name is Long-face). Horse-face is territorial so just get one will do. It is long cylindrical around 4inches long, looks somewhat like a skinny mudskipper. The real horse-face has a kink on its face while the long-face has a straight face.

Saw one in Tampines K&K but can't confirm which one it is. I paid $3 the last time in Bishan.

You give me your email I will send you a pic (still haven't figure out how to post pic [] )
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

choy: horseface and now longface?? hahahaha.... I wonder who comes up with these names... maybe blackface too? can you mail me at [email protected]??

Koah fong: I"m still not too sure, don't know if I should introduce something which I can't get rid of later.... hhmmm maybe I"ll try on smaller tanks and see what happens first, and I do have some malayan snails already thanx anyway!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/7/2002 1:00:42 AM

choy: horseface and now longface?? hahahaha.... I wonder who comes up with these names... maybe blackface too? can you mail me at [email protected]??
    ----------------
    Hey Darrel, look here LOACHES.COM for info on Horse-face Loach. And the other one is not Long-Face but Long-nose.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i got my horsefaced loaches at only 40cts each at the wet market near Soon Heng 88. take a look there..sometimes they still have..
    i dun really think they are territorial..mine get along with each other very well.. peaceful creatures.
    no experience with longnosed tho

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 4/8/2002 10:01:12 PM

i got my horsefaced loaches at only 40cts each at the wet market near Soon Heng 88. take a look there..sometimes they still have..
    i dun really think they are territorial..mine get along with each other very well.. peaceful creatures.
    no experience with longnosed tho
    ----------------
    40 cents! but now I don't want to get any since I don't have a snail problem, and my tank is heavily planted so there is no room for it to burrow, nor would I want it digging up new plants []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well..i'm not sure whether it will solve any snail probs but it is a prolific digger.. sometimes it simply buries itself under the gravel with juz the head poking out..
    if it is frightened, it will dive right into the substrate!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    avant, when it is digging in the substrate it is looking for food. you can actually see the gravel being ejected from the gill covers. It doesn't go for the snails on the glass, just digs around in the substrate, but the snail population gone down by 90% (roughly lah) since I got it, and I hardly need to use my fingers any more.

BTW, mine doesn't hide in the gravel too often. give it plenty of hiding place, and if it feels good it will just lie on the surface.