Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first big tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm actually looking into which filter to purchase and narrowed down to either EHEIM Professionel 3 250 or the Fluval 306. The EHEIM is ofcourse the Ferrari of all filters. I'm currently using 2 EHEIMs, 2211 & AquaCompact 40 and they work flawlessly. The Fluval is definitely cheaper although i'm quite skeptical about the lever design for the hose disconnecting portion. Any comments on the Fluval? The only thing that can make me purchase the EHEIM is the ability to purchase spare parts easily. I've read numerous reviews about the Fluval and quite alot of people are happy with them, that sparked the curiosity within me haha.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

you are right, yours eyes are trained for now
    good that you have changed the light... never thank me...
    as for the different rock, you can still put it in your tank if you plan to have it covered by plants or as the base of other rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterchuen View Post
    Ah i see. Will monitor and see how the light will turn out to be. Exchanged to Evo 24P. Thanks UA!

Btw, based on the photo below, are the rocks on the left belong to the same rock formation? The large rock on the right is definitely different.

Attachment 53278
    Thanks! Those stands can be purchased from East Ocean Aquatic right? I remember i saw a post somewhere. Those plants with lesser light requirement need to plant slightly away from the light to prevent light burn?

Haha bro wont be so fast la. Now need money for my wedding lunch. So the setup will be slowly built. Thanks for viewing!
    I think the light stand should be able to purchased from 328 as well
    Maybe you can skip this for the time being and concentrate your funds on the filter first.
    As for the filter, maybe you can look for a 2nd hand Ehiem, price cheaper although used, I think it will last for another few years.

I changed my hardscape layout into the picture as shown below with the Evo 24P switched on. Kindly ignore the background photo image haha.

Your background has taken all the attention away! Cannot see what you put in your tank.. and don't talk about your formation..
    Btw, I think your wood should be of the same kind or at least same tone? Unless you are planing to tie moss to it and cover up, then that won't be a issue.

You might need some bigger rocks, and also more rocks... Those that you have will be blocked by the plants after they grow in and with sand poured in, you will feel that even more rocks to maintain the slope..
    Looking forward for more updates!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha thanks la. 😁😁 Really love the new light! As for the rocks, will it affect my parameters if i place 2 different rocks together? Considering the fact that both have stopped or minimal leaching of minerals into water.

Noted on the light stand. Im actually planning to get the Fluval 306. My 2211 was a 2nd hand from my colleague, so now i plan to have a new one for a new feel haha. My budget, if want to get EHEIM, only suits the Pro 3/4+ 250. However that means reduced media capacity and flow rate. Is 950L/h actually sufficient for my tank size(about 105L after hardscape)? Im actually looking at a rate of 10x(which means 1050L/h). My 2211 is 7x rate for my other tank and i find the flow a little too low for my liking.

That said, i will be using the Fluval with EHEIM's Mech Pro and Substrat Pro medias. Been using them and loving it.

Aiya after taking the picture with all that excitement, didnt notice that annoying background 😂😂 Yes moss will be tied to wood haha. Okie shall go for more rock shopping soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

As I said, depends on what you want to keep, leaching of minerals is not a bad thing after all if you are not keeping sensitive livestock.
    Just remember that wood also will leach... so it might strike a balance after all, most important is that it won't leach poison.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Flora wise havent really decide what to plant. But livestock wise, im keeping only tetras, amano shrimps and possibly some bottom feeders. 😁

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

think can worry less on the leaching part

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okay i've purchased the Fluval 306 filter for my setup. Hope i don't disappoint the EHEIM supporters. I do like EHEIMs but would love to try something different. I bought it for a pretty cheap price of $198. Together with 3 different EHEIM medias, they cost me a total of $328. Photos as shown below:

Above: Contents from the box and the 3 EHEIM media that i bought

Above: The coarse pre filter foam

Above: The canister contains 3 trays of media. Bottom tray contains 2 black foam block. In my opinion, the foam block is not a good choice to use inside the canister because they can clog very easily. Will discuss later. Middle tray contains the ceramic rings. Top tray contains the filter floss and activated carbon.

Above: This section contains the ribbed hose clamp, inflow and outflow sections, as well as the Aquastop assembly.

Above: The ribbed hose

Above: Lastly, the canister itself. I hope the next series can incorporate handle or slots to carry the canister more easily.

Above: EHEIM MechPro mechanical filter media. I'm currently using this in my 2211. From my earlier note, i'm against the use of the foam blocks provided in the canister. Reason being they can clog very easily. I've used foam sponge as pre filter before and debris tends to clog the surface of the sponge and block the flow, severely restricting the flow rate. However as it's a prefilter, its very easy to clean as compared to cleaning the inside of a canister. My experience with the MechPro is pretty good. They trap many particles in the water without actually restricting so much of the flow rate. The only issue: it floats on the water. So gotta be careful when cleaning them.

Above: EHEIM BioMech. Have not used this before, so can't really comment although i've read some pretty good reviews.

Above: EHEIM SubstratPro. I'm using this in my 2211 and Aquacompact 40 and they work flawlessly. I read somewhere that they have the largest surface volume of all bio medias, not exactly sure if that is completely true but i am very happy with these medias.

Above: I've completed the 24hrs running test as of today on the filter to check for any leaks(without any filter media). So far so good! No leaks and running quietly. Noise wise, it's slightly louder than my 2211 with a slightly louder hum. However you need to place your ears 10cm beside the canister to hear the hum. My desktop PC is actually 10 or even 20 times noisier than the canister. First impression: I'm pretty happy with the filter.

So that's about it. This Saturday im heading down to Aqua Fishtanks (http://aquafishtanks.com.sg) to order my custom made aquarium stand.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Okay i've purchased the Fluval 306 filter for my setup. Hope i don't disappoint the EHEIM supporters. I do like EHEIMs but would love to try something different. I bought it for a pretty cheap price of $198. Together with 3 different EHEIM medias, they cost me a total of $328. Photos as shown below:

Above: Contents from the box and the 3 EHEIM media that i bought

Above: The coarse pre filter foam

Above: The canister contains 3 trays of media. Bottom tray contains 2 black foam block. In my opinion, the foam block is not a good choice to use inside the canister because they can clog very easily. Will discuss later. Middle tray contains the ceramic rings. Top tray contains the filter floss and activated carbon.

Above: This section contains the ribbed hose clamp, inflow and outflow sections, as well as the Aquastop assembly.

Above: The ribbed hose

Above: Lastly, the canister itself. I hope the next series can incorporate handle or slots to carry the canister more easily.

Above: EHEIM MechPro mechanical filter media. I'm currently using this in my 2211. From my earlier note, i'm against the use of the foam blocks provided in the canister. Reason being they can clog very easily. I've used foam sponge as pre filter before and debris tends to clog the surface of the sponge and block the flow, severely restricting the flow rate. However as it's a prefilter, its very easy to clean as compared to cleaning the inside of a canister. My experience with the MechPro is pretty good. They trap many particles in the water without actually restricting so much of the flow rate. The only issue: it floats on the water. So gotta be careful when cleaning them.

Above: EHEIM BioMech. Have not used this before, so can't really comment although i've read some pretty good reviews.

Above: EHEIM SubstratPro. I'm using this in my 2211 and Aquacompact 40 and they work flawlessly. I read somewhere that they have the largest surface volume of all bio medias, not exactly sure if that is completely true but i am very happy with these medias.

Above: I've completed the 24hrs running test as of today on the filter to check for any leaks(without any filter media). So far so good! No leaks and running quietly. Noise wise, it's slightly louder than my 2211 with a slightly louder hum. However you need to place your ears 10cm beside the canister to hear the hum. My desktop PC is actually 10 or even 20 times noisier than the canister. First impression: I'm pretty happy with the filter.

So that's about it. This Saturday im heading down to Aqua Fishtanks (http://aquafishtanks.com.sg) to order my custom made aquarium stand.
    The Fluval filter looks very sturdy! And I have read many good reviews about it, too! Bery well written, bro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro Jacky! Many things learnt from you, bro fireblade and bro UA also. Yeah it's the numerous good reviews and especially the price that got me attracted hehehe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats on your new purchase and decision for the different brand. Nothing is more satisfying than unboxing your purchase and studying it

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Question: Could normal hoses be used or must the black ribbed hoses only be used for this filter? Look like a solid upgrade to get in the future.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    Congrats on your new purchase and decision for the different brand. Nothing is more satisfying than unboxing your purchase and studying it
    Yup! I tend to do that for all my purchases. Feels good hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by aza View Post
    Question: Could normal hoses be used or must the black ribbed hoses only be used for this filter? Look like a solid upgrade to get in the future.
    Normal vinyl hoses can be used. You can use 16/22mm sized hoses. Currently i'm using it and attached to the glass lily pipe. Will show you the pic when im home. That said, the ribbed hoses is not as stiff as the vinyl hose i'm using now which actually allows me to do installation slightly easier.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aza, as mentioned, you can use a 16/22mm hose. Shown below is a 16/22mm plugged into the Aquastop assembly. No leaks while running. However take note of using glass lilies and clear vinyl hoses, these are potential algae breeding grounds. Had experienced them with my smaller tank.

Meanwhile, purchased both inflow and outflow lily pipes from C328. These are cheap stuff that i plan to try out and see how it goes. If it doesnt work, will try a something more well known.

And as discussed earlier, the photo shown below is exactly the only available surface area you have with the bio foam that comes with the canister. Once the surface gets clogged, your canister is basically, plugged. The main reason behind all this is simple: foam have a near uniform surface area.

Now compare with EHEIM's Mech Pro as shown above. The surface area is not uniform, with nooks and crannies all round. This meant that some particles do not clog the top surface, but seep in and clogs at any random location in between the media. With the nook and cranny features of the media, water can still flow through the media and still perform mechanical filtration. I believe that's one of the main reason why some users of the 306 complained of clogged canisters while some users don't.
    Last edited by chesterchuen; 11th Jun 2016 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Good info bro!

For the lily pipes, I think you can consider VIV Lily Pipes and order online (i.e. eBay) with much cheaper price than buying from local LFS here. And VIV quality is quite good, too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmmm... did you DIY the black color cylindrical rings, looks like flexible wire conduit.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Interesting look at the Fluval filter's coarse sponge pad... seems its pore size is indeed denser than the equivalent versions used on eheim filters, sort of reminds me of the sponge padding that comes in my camera case. I guess with that denser sponge pad, just have to wash it more frequently to clear trapped debris and avoid clogs.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Interesting look at the Fluval filter's coarse sponge pad... seems its pore size is indeed denser than the equivalent versions used on eheim filters, sort of reminds me of the sponge padding that comes in my camera case. I guess with that denser sponge pad, just have to wash it more frequently to clear trapped debris and avoid clogs.
    That sponge reminds me to the dust trap in my vacuum cleaner. Waiting for more update!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Hmmm... did you DIY the black color cylindrical rings, looks like flexible wire conduit.
    No. Those are EHEIM's Mech Pro medias

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    It's not exactly the coarse sponge pad. The coarse sponge pad is shown below with lower density. It's actually Fluval's bio foam. Indeed, frequent washes are required to prevent clogging of the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by jackychun View Post
    That sponge reminds me to the dust trap in my vacuum cleaner. Waiting for more update!

Its actually very similar, just slightly less dense haha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, here is a shot of the coarse foam block that acts as a pre filter in the canister. It's actually similar to EHEIM's blue coarse sponge.

A closer look at the coarse sponge

Below is the arrangement of the filter medias. Top is EHEIM's Mech Pro as mechanical filtration. Middle is EHEIM's Bio Mech acting as mechanical/biological filtration. Bottom is EHEIM's Substrat Pro and Fluval's filter floss (one side without the floss to show you how the Substrat Pro looks like), acting as biological filter.

Closer look of the Bio Mech

Closer look of the Substrat Pro

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Camping for my update.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore