Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by boonware View Post
    Camping for my update.

I believe you mean more update? Hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    A fresh breath, very well written
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed reading.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few days back, tested out my water change outlet system and it works just as i planned it to be. I attach my gravel cleaner to a 16/22mm vinyl hose which leads to my common toilet. In between i installed a EHEIM valve to control the flow of the water in case things get out of control. I begin pumping my gravel cleaner until water starts to flow out. Once the correct amount of water has exited the tank, i shut off the EHEIM valve. This prevents water from sloshing back into the tank as i pick up the pipe and churning the tank water which i experience in my other tank.

Bought some more stuffs too from East Ocean. They include ANS CO2 Drop Checker and 4dkh solution, UP Aqua Tweezers and JBL Pro Scape S30 Curve trimmers, and Continuum Aquatics' Bacter Gen F for bacteria generation. The Bacter Gen F was introduced to me by East Ocean, so decided to give it a try and see how it performs. Previously i used Waterlife's BacterLife with success, so now let's try out something different.

I've already started using the Drop Checker in my smaller experimental plant tank. Let's see how it works.

Edit: Forget to add on. Ordered my customized cabinet. Will take around 3-4 weeks to manufacture and deliver over to me. Can't wait!
    Last edited by chesterchuen; 12th Jun 2016 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first big tank

Forgot to add on as well, purchased API Freshwater Master Test Kit and GH & KH test kit, as well as a TDS Meter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Time to wash and clean the driftwood while im waiting for other stuffs. Below is the wood after brushing and cleaning.

Now placed inside a plastic pail to be soaked in hot boiling water. This is the largest pail i have, so the large drift wood can only be soaked half, next time will soak it's other half section.

Now soaked in hot boiling water. Used a rock to weigh it down as it was floating.

There's a question i would like to ask the experts here. I would like to position my outlet and inlet flow pipes as shown below. The reason being the tank has these 2 shelves as seen in the photo. The outlet can be positioned over the shelf, but it's a very tight fit and i'm worried of breaking the lily glass pipe. That said, i predict the water current and flow as shown with the red arrows. What do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Opps didn't notice it. Yes waiting for your update.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chesterchuen View Post
    There's a question i would like to ask the experts here. I would like to position my outlet and inlet flow pipes as shown below. The reason being the tank has these 2 shelves as seen in the photo. The outlet can be positioned over the shelf, but it's a very tight fit and i'm worried of breaking the lily glass pipe. That said, i predict the water current and flow as shown with the red arrows. What do you guys think?

Yeah, thats an odd placement for the lily pipes at the front, as it also blocks the front view too... but with the tank having side bracings which are too large to fit the lily pipes, looks like thats the only placement option. As the tank shape is angular (not curved), water flow from the outflow pipe will mostly hit the opposite glass, then flow down and back under it, so the left side will tend to have more flow and circulation than the right side. Although some of the water will also get pushed around the back of tank, there will be a reduction in circulation at the areas curving to the intake pipe.

There will probably be dead spots and low flow areas at the front and right side of the tank, so you'll just have to adjust your tank layout to compensate for it. Thats one of the reasons why most aquascapers prefer to use braceless tanks, so that lily pipes can be positioned properly on the sides without blocking the front view.

Ideally the lily pipes should be placed together on one side, so that they can generate a circular return flow pattern, especially if the tank has Co2 injection too. Here is a diagram for reference:

Picture source: http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=...h-planted-tank

Since you haven't setup and filled up the tank yet, its still not too late to change the current braced normal glass tank to a 60x45x45 braceless crystal glass tank, it would look much nicer and allow the lily pipes to be position correctly without blocking the front view. You can find such tanks at places like Seaview or East Ocean. It'll cost more than your current tank though... but you've already spent so much on all the other equipment, no point skimping on the tank itself, might as well get a proper tank since thats what you'll be looking at everyday.

Here is a link to the 60x45x45 braceless crystal glass tank example at East Ocean website: http://www.eastoceansg.com/ans-optic...er-p-1462.html

Once an aquarium is setup, all other equipment can be changed out easily, but if you decided to change the tank then, it will be a total overhaul of the setup. So its worth a consideration to do it right the first time round.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks bro UA. The lily pipes will actually be placed at the rear, not the front. The picture was actually showing the back view, my bad that i forgot to mention that. That said, i agree that there will be dead spots should i place the lily pipes that way.

Hmmm actually i dont feel like changing the tank hahaha. While the brace is unsightly, im lucky that the outlet lily pipe can actually fit over the brace. Just that it's a tight fit, but i can still fit it in such a way that the outlet is below the water line.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oic... in that case then it could work, see if the side placement fits, just have to be more careful when moving them.

If not, then your current pipe positions at the back could suffice too, if not enough circulation at the back, then maybe can just install a wave maker to move around water there.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Side placement do fit, tried before haha. Just that it's a little tight fit. Maybe i can try put some thin rubber tape to minimise glass to glass contact.

Ah i see. Thanks! Shall see how it goes. 😁👍

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

UA bro, as mentioned, the outlet lily pipe can fit over the brace, but it will be tilted slightly downwards as shown in the pic below.

If i have to make it upright, the lily pipe will be positioned slightly above the water line, unless the water line exceeds the level of the brace.

I'm waiting for my cabinet to arrive which will be 3-4 weeks from now. Afterwhich, i will test out which position will be better. Im only concerned with the first picture's position due to possibility of churning the substrate. But at 45cm tall, maybe it won't churn the substrate after all. In short, gotta test it out!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Another option i'm looking at is the expensive BorneoWild P3J Stainless Steel outlet. I will measure again at GC and see if it fits.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, seems like with that tank design, you'll to have to compromise and search for alternative equipment just to fit around it. I guess its sort of like having to construct a house around an oddly shaped foundation.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

it is not advisable to put the lily pipe the way you are thinking of putting as you will add stress to the lily pipe and let it got stuck on the tank when you want to remove it and this might break the lily pipe.

putting the lily pipe at the back will be a bit hard to remove if your tank is against the wall and something is blocking. remember to leave a bigger allowance at the back in case you got problem removing the lily pipe.

Actually your plan for getting a stainless steel inlet and outlet will be a good choice!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Yeah, seems like with that tank design, you'll to have to compromise and search for alternative equipment just to fit around it. I guess its sort of like having to construct a house around an oddly shaped foundation.
    Hahaha that is indeed true. Somewhat like building the MBS, odd shaped buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    it is not advisable to put the lily pipe the way you are thinking of putting as you will add stress to the lily pipe and let it got stuck on the tank when you want to remove it and this might break the lily pipe.

putting the lily pipe at the back will be a bit hard to remove if your tank is against the wall and something is blocking. remember to leave a bigger allowance at the back in case you got problem removing the lily pipe.

Actually your plan for getting a stainless steel inlet and outlet will be a good choice!
    Yeah. Exactly my concerns! Having a high pressure point on a glass tool is a very bad idea. That said im checking out Borneowild's P3J Stainless Steel outlet later. Brought along my lily glass to compare and see if it could fit. 😁

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok i measured my glass lily pipe with BorneoWild's P3J at GC's shop and found that the P3J was wider by quite a bit. Decided to buy it and i'm really glad that it can fit as shown in the pic below. The height of the pipe will be adjusted accordingly when i fill the tank with water. Finally my outflow issue has been solved.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I bought a huge 30L pail today to boil and soak the big drift wood. The huge pail will be used to change water for the 2 feet tank in future.

I also began measuring the dissolved solids using the new TDS Meter. So far the driftwood is averaging around 73ppm. Meanwhile i've done a mock setup of the tank + filter as shown below.

Below shows the glass inlet at the back while the foreground shows the BorneoWild Stainless Steel outflow.

Bought some Seachem stuffs too. Stupid photobucket refuse to rotate the photo.

Meanwhile, in my experimental tank, i'm feeding my Glowlight Tetras with the Amanos as the cleanup crew. The moment the food was introduced the Tetras went on a feeding frenzy first, then the Amano start to come out as an Army. Notice some of the left over on the substrate

Now a team of Amanos have cleaned up all the left over food. Pardon my poor conditioned plants. Was meant to be an experimental tank where i try and learn about plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

great writeup

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bro, full pic of your tank please.

Let us admire. Dont be stingy.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

full front pic of the tank please..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by mugenpower78 View Post
    great writeup
    Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmj View Post
    Bro, full pic of your tank please.

Let us admire. Dont be stingy.
    Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    full front pic of the tank please..
    You guys mean my current setup ah? I thought it was a disaster that's why i didnt take full pic of my current tank haha. It was meant to be an experimental tank. So i have big and tall plants planted at the front, blocking some view of the tank. But since you guys requested, will take a shot next time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, my cabinet has arrived! I'm very surprised as it took just 5 working days for them to build the cabinet. Then again it's a very simple cabinet so i guess that's why it was so quick.

I chose this colour as it's meant to match my current furniture theme and colours, as you can see below

Now with the big tank on top

And with inflow/outflow pipes and LED light on top

A closer look at the outflow pipe

Front view of the tank

Now with canister inside the cabinet, along with a nano tank to show where the Apple Snail tank will be in future. The upper right corner space is catered for the CO2 tank.

I also noticed that the black wiring of the Evo 24P is very distracting as you can see below

So i routed the wiring around the corners of the tank using suction cup holders. That way it looks neater!

Used level spirit tool to check that the cabinet and tank combination is flat and level.

Overall look of the tank with the LED switched on. Notice that the black wiring of the LED is no longer a distraction

Also purchase a 9L bag of ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil. However it appears to me that i need another bag of 9L? I do plan to use a bag of 3L powder type Amazonia too to cater for MC plants.

Initially i toyed with the idea of doing the same for the outflow pipe by using elbows and line the hose along the corners of the tank just like what i did with the black wiring. However i learnt from my own experience that elbows introduces air pockets and turbulences within the hose itself. Therefore i decided to leave the hoses as it is.

Also, my large driftwood and 1 small driftwood is still floating despite nearly 2 weeks of soaking. TDS measurement also showed a slow increment in reading during a 4 day soaking monitoring. It's not alot, just a slight increase. Next week i will begin to measure it's effect on GH and KH.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, one 9L bag of ADA aquasoil is usually suitable for a standard 2ft tank with base area of 60cm x 30cm... but for your tank's larger 60cm x 45cm base area, you will need 50% more (or just get another 9L bag or two, will be useful if you need extra soil to create a taller slope to the back).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast