Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What is the difference between CA(NO3)2 vs CA(NO3)2.4H20? Suitable for Discus Tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What is the difference between CA(NO3)2 vs CA(NO3)2.4H20? Suitable for Discus Tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I have done some reading and found some old threads here about dry dosing of CA(NO3)2.4H20 as well as online calculators such as those shared by UA (one of the experienced forum-er here) and rotala (http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php).

The situation is this. I am starting a tank (about 410 litres) soon and intend to do dry-dosing. I bought the dry fertiliser from one of the local webstore (ecocity hydroponics) as follows -CA(NO3)2, KH2PO4 and K2SO4. However most of the calculators list CA(NO3)2 as CA(NO3)2.4H204. The question I have is whether will there a difference to the dosing amount if a user based it on CA(NO3)2.4H204 instead of the one from Ecocity?

The other question I have is whether has anyone here used products from ecocity hydroponics in a discus tank?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is the difference between CA(NO3)2 vs CA(NO3)2.4H20? Suitable for Discus Tan

I recently also bought Ca(NO3)2 from Ecocity. I also had some initial confusion with regards to the .4H204. After looking around on the internet, all I seem to find is that the .4H204 is that the the calcium nitrate reacts with the air and absorbs the moisture. Wikipedia has it as "Calcium nitrate, also called Norgessalpeter (Norwegian saltpeter), is the inorganic compound with the formula Ca(NO3)2. This colourless salt absorbs moisture from the air and is commonly found as a tetrahydrate."

Not sure if I'm on the right track, but I simply ignore the .4H2O4 and simply use the measurement on the calculator as it is and its working well for me.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is the difference between CA(NO3)2 vs CA(NO3)2.4H20? Suitable for Discus Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    I recently also bought Ca(NO3)2 from Ecocity. I also had some initial confusion with regards to the .4H204. After looking around on the internet, all I seem to find is that the .4H204 is that the the calcium nitrate reacts with the air and absorbs the moisture. Wikipedia has it as "Calcium nitrate, also called Norgessalpeter (Norwegian saltpeter), is the inorganic compound with the formula Ca(NO3)2. This colourless salt absorbs moisture from the air and is commonly found as a tetrahydrate."

Not sure if I'm on the right track, but I simply ignore the .4H2O4 and simply use the measurement on the calculator as it is and its working well for me.
    Thanks I will give it a go and see how things work out..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi SGDiscus,
    All calcium nitrate when exposed to air (e.g. just opening the bottle) will become hydrated with the 4 H2O added, so you will almost never buy fertiliser that does not have the 4 H2O.
    For aquarium purposes it does not matter since you are adding the chemical into water after all.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi ikcti, thanks! I have been using it for 3 weeks now. I noticed that there is liquid substance at the bottom of the container which is used to store the chemical. I suppose that's what you mean when you say calcium nitrate will become hydrated. The compound is slowly turning into liquid despite my best effort to seal tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ikcti View Post
    Hi SGDiscus,
    All calcium nitrate when exposed to air (e.g. just opening the bottle) will become hydrated with the 4 H2O added, so you will almost never buy fertiliser that does not have the 4 H2O.
    For aquarium purposes it does not matter since you are adding the chemical into water after all.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk