Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Chihiros LED Lights - A Series vs E Series, Differences?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chihiros LED Lights - A Series vs E Series, Differences?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I've been researching on the Chihiros line of LED lights and I am unable to reach any definite conclusions about the differences between the A and E series. Except that each LED for the E series produces 0.5W of power and whereas the A series produces 0.33W, there appears to be no real material difference between the two?

For example, the A451 and E451 both are 27W. So what justifies the greater price for the E series?

I will be grateful for anyone who can help me with this

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chihiros LED Lights - A Series vs E Series, Differences?

Typically, the higher the watt per LED, the more expensive are the light because it give better light penetration to reach the substrate if you have deeper tank. Most higher end LED light uses 3W per LED or higher. Yes, the wattage per LED do make a difference other than the total light wattage

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Typically, the higher the watt per LED, the more expensive are the light because it give better light penetration to reach the substrate if you have deeper tank. Most higher end LED light uses 3W per LED or higher. Yes, the wattage per LED do make a difference other than the total light wattage
    So the E series would have greater light penetration than the A series? Even though the total light wattage is the same though

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, correct. Selection of lights basically depends on the types of plant that you want to grow and depth of the tank. Maybe you you can share your tank specs and setup that you have or intent to have and the type of plant to intend to grow, we can help to share our experience with you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Realcaster View Post
    Yes, correct. Selection of lights basically depends on the types of plant that you want to grow and depth of the tank. Maybe you you can share your tank specs and setup that you have or intent to have and the type of plant to intend to grow, we can help to share our experience with you.
    Thank you for the reply! My tank is 45cm, but the height is only 27cm. I don't think penetration would be a problem even with the A series? I hope to carpet HC or similar foreground plants, CO2 injected without a chiller (considering a fan or nothing at all).

User Urban Aquaria has responded to a similar query in another thread. Here is his reply in full for anyone with a similar question (I hope he doesn't mind):
    "I guess the question of which model is better will depend alot on your usage and requirements (and budget)... in general, lightsets with higher wattage LEDs usually generate better depth penetration, so in theory it seems the E-series with its 0.5W LEDs should be able to get more light down to the substrate level than compared to the 0.33W LEDs on the A-series.

But if you are looking at tanks 2ft size or less, usually their heights are not that tall to make a difference (ie. 30cm-36cm, or lower), hence either wattage of LEDs are already more than sufficient for those heights. Many aquascapers have successfully grown most plants using lightsets with older LED lightsets models that have even lower wattage LEDs in such tanks anyways.

Though if the tank height is much taller, like 45cm height, then there will be a more noticeable difference and the higher wattage LEDs will have an advantage. You might even end up looking at other brands which use more powerful 3W LEDs.

The puzzling part here is the lumens output, i'm still not sure how Chihiros works out the lumens between the A-series and E-series, but the A-series is listed as generating alot more lumen output than the E-series, it a very significant difference. I have compared the brightness of both light models sitting side-by-side and the A-series does look noticeably brighter. Lumens output is brightness we see with our eyes, so it may not necessarily correlate to depth penetration, but as mentioned with the common heights of smaller tanks, depth penetration isn't as big an issue for those setups.

So if we just base on lumens output to compare, then the A-series offers more than the E-series, at much lower price. The price difference and design also factors into purchasing decisions too. People are willing to pay alot more just for design, as thats an intangible premium.

If you like the large ADA-copy acrylic stand design and prefer higher wattage LEDs, but don't mind lower lumens output, and have extra budget to spend, then go for the E-series. If you like the simpler slim stand design and are okay with lower wattage LEDs, but want higher lumens output, and want to spend less, then go for the A-series."

Thanks Urban

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

27cm is pretty low height, I have not used A series before, not sure if it will work out for HC. Pretty sure, MC ,Glosso and Hairgrass will do fine though.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, years back i was still able to grow HC in a similar height tank using the first generation Up Aqua Z-Series light set. That older model used tiny 0.06W LEDs and the overall wattage was only around 10W.

In comparison, both the A-series and E-series Chihiros light models utilize stronger LEDs with much higher wattage output, more than enough light to grow carpet plants in that tank height, including HC. Especially if you are injecting Co2 too.

For my tanks, i usually have to adjust and reduce the intensity of the A-series lights, otherwise its too much for my setups.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you UA for sharing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Both A and E series comes with a dimmer (5 step lights level). Saw them at Green Chapter yesterday. Also noted that the top panel of the LED runs hot to the touch. I believe they are rated 7000k with 27w / 29w respectively. 1 light to fit them all and remove the hassle of getting lights for different setup. Warranty is 1 year.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does both model has the same number of led on the lightset ?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Does both model has the same number of led on the lightset ?
    They have different configurations... for example the 60cm versions, the E-Series runs on 72 x 0.5W LEDs while the A-Series runs on 117 x 0.33W LEDs.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Went to Green Chapter to look for light for my 40cm shrimp tank. Wanted something more affordable and was recommended the Chihiros but found out they were fixed sizes, which required some pretty ugly add ons to allow some adjustments. Ended up got the other range they were selling which was the Aqualighter. Found out pretty new and obscure brand. Slim, specs looks good with 930 Lumen for the Aqualighter 1 30cm with adjustable length to my 40cm tank, at a cost of $110. Colour temp 5000k to 7000k, and is said to be same as daylight. Looking outside on a bright sunny day, the colour and brightness does look indeed the same.
    Last edited by Rachdanon; 23rd Oct 2016 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Find out if the model you got is water proof . I got 2 of the clip version , great light ! The smallest version of their clip led lighting can even be powered by powerbank . I'm sure everyone has a powerbank so if the power in your home is cut off , this led lighting can be used as emergency lighting , provided you have a fully charged powerbank .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.