Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First planted attempt?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Hey guys. This is my first planted tank attempt, I tried building a moss tree with java moss; but failed miserably as the moss wasnt a nice color and it couldnt cover the tree fully. I planted some monte carlo and the other planted I really dont know. Any ideas what other plants which can carpet well? Thanks! And btw I dont have co2.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: First planted attempt?

Add more monte carlo, alot more... especially since your tank is not using Co2 injection, those current tiny sprouts will take forever to grow out and carpet the tank.

If you want to mix carpet plants, can also consider adding glosso and hairgrass. It might get abit messy with different carpet plants tangling with each other though, but if managed well, it could sometimes create a nice natural wild habitat effect.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria! Thanks for your reply! How much more monte carlo or glosso or hairgrass can I add? Like how do I know if it is enough? These plants are those that can be planted as a single plant? Not those that need to be planted double right? I am not sure if you understand what I am saying..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bracehero View Post
    Hi Urban Aquaria! Thanks for your reply! How much more monte carlo or glosso or hairgrass can I add? Like how do I know if it is enough?
    If possible, buy as much MC as you can to plant in the tank... best if can cover most of the substrate with plants right from the start, until it looks like there is already a 60-70% carpet coverage in the tank, otherwise if you start with just a few sparse tiny sprouts, by the time you grow a long beard the plants still haven't carpet yet.

Even in high-tech tanks, most aquascapers will try to fill up the substrate with plants (look at the youtube videos of how the ADA gallery tanks are setup, very heavily planted from the start), so that they can get a quick head-start and grow out the plants faster and get the aquascape ready within weeks, and thats already with Co2 injection to turbo boost plant growth.

For low-tech tanks without Co2 injection, the growth rate will be much slower, it will take an even longer time for the plants to grow out. Can take many months (even years) just to see results, so starting with more plants will greatly shorten the overall waiting time.

These plants are those that can be planted as a single plant? Not those that need to be planted double right? I am not sure if you understand what I am saying..
    Yeah, its always best to separate those plants into individual plantlets to plant into the soil, like what you did with the MC (for hair grass just separate into small bunches of a few grass blades each). Its tedious work but the growth will tend to be better and more consistent in the long run.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh I see. Ok sure, will try with hairgrass and more MC. But can I just try with whatever potted plants I find at C328?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ohh I see. Ok sure, will try with hairgrass and more MC. But can I just try with whatever potted plants I find at C328?
    Yeah, you can also add other aquatic plants to the tank too, ultimately it all just depends on how you want the layout and aquascape design to be.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. Cus I dont have co2. And my plant choice would be limited

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I tried building a moss tree with java moss; but failed miserably as the moss wasnt a nice color and it couldnt cover the tree fully.

watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaCW9UIMNwg
    for nice moss tree set up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think your substrate layer is a bit too thin...please add more soil or gravels if you can. it will help with planting also...easier to poke poke...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yes. It was quite difficult to plant😂. Alright will update the gravel layer! Thanks Fireblade!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, right now im almost done preparing with most of my equipment and tools needed to start up a high tech planted tank. The only thing im left with is the driftwood and plants. My question now is what is the routine for a newly set up high tech planted tank from DAY 1 till the plants reach to a mature stage.? btw the fertilizers that im using are ADA Brighty Step 1,2,3 but for now 'll be using ADA step 1 as this is my early stage and the C02 im using is a 3L tank with a soleniod regulator. As for plants that im plannng to plant are Monte Carlo as my foreground, Microsum Trident as my midground that will be attached to my driftwood and lastly Ludwigia Arcuata as my background plants. And for the soil i'll be using ADA Amazonia Soil.

Tank Size: 90cm x 45cm x 45cm (IOS) tank
    Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil New Amazonia (Powder Type)

Filter System: Eheim 2217 external canister filter + 13mm ANS glass lily pipe intake / ANS glass lily pipe output

Filter Media: Bio Ring & ceramic media

Temperature: 27-29°C (Day) / 27-28°C (Night)

Lighting: Chihiros Aqauatic Studio LED Light (90cm)
    Light Duration: hours (10am-6pm)

Pressurized Co2: Dymax CO2 System /2 bps / ppm
    Co2 Duration: 8 hours (10am-5pm)
    Fertilizer: ADA Brighty Step 1,2,3
    Fan/Chiller: Not yet due to budget

Correct me if im wrong but this how my routine goes like :

Day 1
    1. Use ADA Step 1 with Brighty K
    2. Dose 9 Push of ADA step 1 into the tank
    3. Open Lights & CO2 for 8-9 Hours
    4. Let the tank cycle

Day 2
    1. WC 50%
    2. Dose 9 push of step1 into the tank
    3. Turn on Lights & C02 for 8-9 hours’
    4. Remove any dead plants
    5. Monitor Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels using API Master Kit

Day 3 (repeat Day 2 routine until the tank has been fully cycle)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sounds like a good plan... almost like following the ADA guide book step-by-step.

You don't really need to do daily 50% WC, unless there is really too much excess nutrients that the plants are not able to use. It'll be abit of a waste to keep flushing out all the valuable nutrients released by the soil that are originally meant to boost plant growth. Just a weekly WC is usually sufficient to refresh the tank water.

Its also not necessary to do parameter testes everyday too. During the initial cycling period, water parameters will take quite a while to stabilize. So to save you all the extra effort, just do the parameter tests maybe every few days or just once a week to check, otherwise you end up very busy doing repetitive tests.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
    I think your substrate layer is a bit too thin...please add more soil or gravels if you can. it will help with planting also...easier to poke poke...
    Is ANS planta soil good enough? without adding any other layer? is it necessary to have base fertilizer before adding the soil?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaCW9UIMNwg
    for nice moss tree set up.
    Saw the video. but will the super glue damage the whole water system? The plant that touches the glue will die right?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Ng View Post
    Saw the video. but will the super glue damage the whole water system? The plant that touches the glue will die right?
    No will not damage it ,i glue my anubias pinto to the DW and the rhizome that touches the glue is still green.
    You can read through these thread for more info on the glue proprieties and brand.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...lants-to-rocks
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...r-Glue-Pebbles

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AQMS View Post
    No will not damage it ,i glue my anubias pinto to the DW and the rhizome that touches the glue is still green.
    You can read through these thread for more info on the glue proprieties and brand.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...lants-to-rocks
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...r-Glue-Pebbles
    Okay! Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

20160726_193000 (2).jpg20160726_194836 (2).jpg20160726_214159 (2).jpg Pain staking effort. plant hit by bad algae. hope it will grow well soon...
    Last edited by Stanley Ng; 27th Jul 2016 at 23:47.