Country
    Singapore

Re: is anything wrong?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    Why not just use a pincette and push the osmocote fertiliser balls into the substrate, it's supposed to be buried inside the substrate anyways, not placed on top.

If it's buried the substrate, it wouldn't be releasing ammonia into the water column anymore, only directly to the plant roots (which is what it's originally designed to do).
    Good idea UA! Alternatively control the siphon pressure so that not so much sand is sucked out along. Sand can always be replaced or replenished

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

arnd 2 weeks already

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jren View Post
    actually my ammonia levels are 0 as of now eh lol
    Still a good idea to bury the osmocote ferts under the substrate where its meant to be put, that will ensure they supply nutrients to the plant roots instead.

Leaving them sitting above the substrate allows it to release excessive nutrients into the water column, which based on your photos, probably contribute to all the algae growing in your tank.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by boofeng View Post
    Somewhat off tangent, but how much less does osmocote affect water column chemistry when well buried under, say, sand?

I'm in a bind with providing nutrients for plants while keeping water super soft. Currently I'm trialing plants to see which can grow in soft, acidic, low nutrient conditions. But it'd be really nice to have nutrients trapped under the substrate while keeping soft water in the tank.
    If the osmocote fertilizer (or most other root fertilizer tablets/sticks) are buried deep into the substrate, its effects on water parameters should be very minimal.

I have used it before in my tanks and the parameters didn't change significantly. Just have to be careful if you have to uproot and shift plants around during maintenance or re-scapes, if the fertilizers happened to be also pulled up at the same time, it can cause ammonia spikes and parameter imbalances.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

One way to remove the osmocote thingy is to gather them in a spot and scoop them out , rather than going at them individually will make you tired fast .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I used osmocote tab regularly dont worry about the loose pallet around the tank if it is not too much it will not effect the water parameters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12