8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Aquarium sump setup

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello guys, I have been looking around at overflow and sump setups and need some clarification regarding how they work and in this case, from the looks of how the plumbing and overflow is done, can someone tell me if the sump will flood due to the overflow because of the lower opening in the partition? The set is ANS Opti Combi if you must know.
    Combi50d-800x800.jpgCombi60b-800x800.jpgCombi60c-800x800.jpg

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aquarium sump setup

Can you take a pic of the partition at the other side? For the first pic, the lower opening will not cause the sump to flood, but its hard to tell for the other side of the partition unless you take a pic.

1. This setup is poorly designed, even if it doesn't flood, be prepared to experience lots of water slushing/splashing sounds as there seems to be no buffer between the overflow and the water will fall like a waterfall from the overflow into the 'hole'. Do a search on durso standpipe and you will know what I'm talking about.
    2. In the 2nd pic, I'm assuming that the green hose is the return and will connect back to the blue pipe from the first pic right?
    3. I fail to understand the reason for the attachment in the third pic.
    4. Do remember to ensure that you drill a hole in the output of the blue pipe as in the event of a blackout, the blue return pipe will siphon a lot of water back into the sump = sump overflow.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Cardinal Tetra, I got this picture off Oceansing website. I have been reading through online and this site to find out more about overflow and sumps as I am interested to get one. I’m searching and comparing prices before I commit to one. For point 2, yes the hose is attached to a pump and it should return to the blue pipe back into the tank. For point 3, just sharing what I think matters, there aren’t any other useful pictures. Noted for points 1 and 4. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You misunderstood what I said for point 3. I meant that I dont understand the rationale of the attachment of the hose connected to the pipe, not the picture attachment itself. Cheers.

I suggest you read up on durso standpipes. They are cheap and easy to do. A simple overflow should consist of 2 pre drilled holes in the partition chamber, one for inlet and the other for return. The durso pipe should be attached to the inlet. This will eliminate the noise problem.

Last point to mention, to prevent return pump overhead loss, it is common to switch the sump around so that the pump is sitting directly under the return hole, this helps to prevent headloss and maximize pump efficiency.

Just sharing what I know about overflows. Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha, I think I read it wrong. You are right, the hose should be for the return pump.

Sent from my N5206 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There is a gap between the so called opening and the overflow box . The water will go through the gap and head upward and overflow into the box from the top .

What you really need to take note is when you switch off the return pump , does the sump capture all the water or does it overflow out from the sump ?
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.