Country
    Singapore

Eheim 2217 as bio filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

Tank size is 2ft, 60x30x36 running on 2213->hs28a currently.

I want to add a prefilter to ease the filter maintenance. However, I feel my 2213 is not up to strength for it as the current flow rate now seems weak.

Hence, my new planned setup is prefilter->2217->hs28a, with 2217 as a full bio filter.

For prefilter, I should stuff it like: black sponge/blue sponge/black sponge/white wool?

For 2217: I supposed 5L of eheim substrat pro should be enough?And should I still add any sponge?

Furthermore, to reduce the flow rate of 2217, can i use the double tap connecter on the outlet to control the flow? In the long run, will it cause any damage to the impeller or should i get a ball valve instead.
    Last edited by corepad; 26th Jul 2016 at 20:53.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Re: Eheim 2217 as bio filter

I have a 2211 acting as a sub filter for my 2217 for a 46 bowfront. I stuffed mine with blue sponges and white polisher pads. I bought my 2217 from big als pets and it came with the substrate pro, the ceramic rings, and all the filter pads for I think $130 usd[?]. They also include the spray bar to reduce the flow to a manageable flowrate. I wouldn't block the flow as it may overheat the motor and damage it. It's not designed to be regulated that way.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eheim 2217 as bio filter

Your pre-filter > 2217 > hs28a is an okay arrangements for a 2ft tank. The overall reduction in flow from those inline devices will probably already be sufficient to moderate the current in the tank. You can still install a double tap on the outflow hose to regulate the flow further.

Since you have all the mechanical filtration sponges and fine white filter wool in the pre-filter, its not necessary to put more sponges into the 2217 anymore, just fill it with bio-media, as the majority of the debris and dirt particles will already be trapped in the pre-filter. Do remember to clean the pre-filter regularly and frequently though, as it will tend to clog up quickly.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com