Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Giant Betta Care HELP

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im planning to get a giant betta but never reared one before, only had regular ones. So just wanna clarify some questions. Hope Giant Betta experts can help!

1) Tank- should the tank be empty or is planted tank acceptable too? I read that empty tank is recommended to maximise its growth. However if Im not concerned about its growth that particular, I wanna know does planted tanks work for giants as well? Is there anything about planted tanks that might affect its health (e.g stress) in any way? Also, can i use gravel or should the tank be bare bottom?

2) Water change- how often should i do water changes for Giants? And how many percent to change? For my regular betta i usually do a 20-30% once every week, can i do the same for giants?

3) Diet- is it ok if i feed giants purely pellets? Or does it need more nutrition from live/frozen food to survive? Also how often should i feed daily for giants?

Additional Information: I've raised regular bettas pretty well since all of them have created bubble nests so I assume im doing a fine job with it. Im no betta expert so i dont know if bubble nests are a big deal or not, but from what i know its a good sign of a happy healthy betta.
    Lastly, is there anything I need to pay particular attention to for giants? Like are they more sensitive to ph levels or ammonia etc that I need to control better that is different from regular bettas? I DO NOT own any test kits so I dont know and im a goon at that so I didnt really bother for my current bettas.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Giant Betta Care HELP

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I "adopted" a giant betta from a friend a while back, basically its care and requirements are the same as a normal sized betta, just have to factor in its larger size = large bio-load.... ie. up-size the feeding amount, use larger tank water volume and increase amount of water change/tank cleaning (the poop bombs they generate are much larger).

A bare tank is fine for them, so is a planted tank. Same like normal bettas. I kept mine in an office 1ft cube planted tank (27 liters) with small hang-on filter, did the usual 20% water change weekly, and fed it NLS Thera+A pellets (though i had to feed it more pellets than a normal sized fish). Its the only fish in the tank so the tank volume can still handle the bio-load quite easily.

I guess if you keep your giant betta in a smaller tank with less filtration and plants, then just have to do more tank cleaning and more frequent/larger water changes to manually remove the accumulated waste.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for your feedback, especially Urban Aquaria, appreciate ur lengthy explanation! Other visitors of my thread do post your experience with giants or any useful notes if you have will greatly appreciate and learn!