Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tinting of glass tank. Possible?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Tinting of glass tank. Possible?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, my first post and wish to learn more from AQ members.

Is it possible to limit or even prevent algea growth if i were to tint both sides of the tank as it's directly infont of my windows.

As I'll be replacing my current 3ft to 4ft soon, thus needed some information from from members here. Main peoblem is that relocating to other areas within house ain't possible. Will appreciate all suggestions

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Tinting of glass tank. Possible?

Hi Wakin, welcome to the forum.

Anyway with regards to your question, why not paste oyama paper? Think it will be simpler for you as i cannot think of any ways for you to tint the sides of your tank.

I am presuming you are having a freshwater goldfish tank, based on your nickname. Maybe can look into having a bristlenose pleco to help with the algae issues?

Wish i can help more but that is all i can think off at the moment as i am also learning at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi simbk, thanks for your reply. I'll paint the background and Im refering to the left and right side of tank. Im sure tinting can be done using those darken stickers for car windows. To completely cover both sides is quite unsightly.

My current tank is heavily infested with BGA thus i thinking of ways to limit light emitting from windows behind during this revamping.

I'm keeping goldfish you guessed it right. Bristlenose pleco is an excellent recommendation, however, i do not wish to increase its bioload.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, its possible to apply solar film to aquarium tank glass, i've seen some people do it before. The actual efficiency depends on the solar film quality though, the ones i've seen use those car solar films.

This technique does work to reduce the amount of sunlight getting into the tank from the protected sides, which in turn helps slow down algae growth. It also helps to reduce some heat from sunlight exposure too.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Urban Aquaria, thanks for your valuable infomation and that's what i needed. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Before you permanently paint any side of your tank, or apply sun-blocking adhesive to it, it will be good first to test it out by blocking the light for a period with cardboard, starting with only one side. If you block off light permanently, you may likely find out later that you may need the sunlight for plants in the tank, though you may also have electric lights. My point is to try it out first before you make it permanent.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi tetrakid, because it's a display tank situated between my sofa thus i'll prefer it a see through kind of setup.

To convert it to a planted tank later is quite unlikely as goldfish will destroy them. They grew in size lately so this upgrading is solely for the purpose of giving them a larger environment.

However, i do have a few low-light plants like nanas, ferns, lucky bamboos and pothos.

You had provided valuable suggestions on irreversibility and will look into it.

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, thanks to all bros who've shared their valuable suggestions and know how to my earlier enquiries.

Had recently completed my setup successfully with the implementation of solar film affirmed by urban aquaria.

👍 ☺

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am a fan of goldfish too. Would be nice if you can show some pics of your tank here.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Tetrakid, i've uploaded videos of my tank in youtube just search for Wakin Goldfish... Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Very nice fish. ☺

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey tetrakid, thanks for your kind compliment.. 😊

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Wakin Goldfish View Post
    Hey tetrakid, thanks for your kind compliment.. 😊
    You're welcome.
    In fact I also like wakins but prefer calico wakins, which I have not come across in shops.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So true.. I've never came across any calico and black ones too.. My wish is a collection of all different types of Wakins. By the way, are you currently keeping any goldfish? ☺

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Presently I have a single young Ryukin in a 2ft tank by himself.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So you followed the inch per gallon rule ya...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

So you followed the inch per gallon rule ya...
    No not really. I don't really have any rules.
    You see, what is more important is water quality. Usually more fish means faster fouling, which is a continuous process. So as long as the water is maintained constantly in a clean state, there is no fixed rule for the number of fish. Thus, a tank with more fish will require more stringent maintenance, namely water change to keep the fish thriving. Conversely, a tank with less fish will be able to withstand a more lax maintenance regime.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

This is by far the most sensible approach when it comes to stocking level. Hey tetrakid, we've got the same sentiment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is by far the most sensible approach when it comes to stocking level. Hey tetrakid, we've got the same sentiment.
    Ah yes, fishkeeping is not all that complicated. As long as fish have clean water and generous oxygen all the time, they will remain healthy.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

agree with tetrakid and Wakin. Though I'm not keeping any goldfish, but my current 40cmx25x26cm tank houses, 3x adult mollies, 3x 'teenage' mollies, 5x pink danios, 4x rummy nose, 3x 2-inch congo tetra, 4x amano shrimp, 14x cory, 1x female betta and 1x algae eater, some frogbit and M. mattogrossense. A grand total of 38 inhabitants. It's really a sight to behold... but at the cost of changing water every alternate days.... I already have a 3 ft tank but un-cycled yet.... probably by end October then it will be cycled. In the meantime, I just have to keep up with the water change. that's why I can totally agree with their approach. Tiring but satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast