Singapore

Buy new tank or to fix old tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

as per title above.

Recently i got a free 2nd hand 2ft tank from a friend. But various parts of the internal sealant looks very worn down.

So i'm currently torn between getting a new 2ft tank or to buy a silicone sealant to fix the hand me down tank.

Also to fix the internal sealant, any recommendations on which brand of sealant to buy as i understand some sealants might not be suitable for fish tank usage.

Thanks all in advance for any advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Buy new tank or to fix old tank

if it is not really a thick glass 2ft tank then I suggest you to get a new one.. it will cost between 20-40sgd

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah. Crystal tank could cost btw $60 to $200. But the scape that u have done could be priceless. So you have to justify yourself btw the two options.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Im sure the 2 feet tank you got is not the expensive one. If not,then get a new cheap 2 feet tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you all for the comments. Think I will shop around for a new 2 ft tank instead of resealing the old tank. Just feel very uncomfortable and not wanting to be a mass murderer if I got the wrong sealant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think buying a new 2ft tank is a better option. Nowadays, 2ft crystal tank are quite reasonable price.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Silicon sealant are water temperates seals depends on water to keep it chemically alive if seal left out too long it will fail rather than reseal one part the rest will leak some more. So need to remove all and reseal

Sent from my HM NOTE 1W using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks simonyeeklang for your advise. But think I will take the easy way and get a new tank. Mainly is I am really worried of getting the wrong sealant or cause the tank to fall apart.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Though seldom experienced by hobbyists, a tank leak is no joke once it happens. A tank leaking slowly overnight can become a nightmare in the morning, as water can flow under heavy furniture which cannot be moved for cleaning/drying. As a safety precaution, always get new tanks and replace them after a few years. To be safe, I always make sure I have a shallow tray fitted with tubing under the tank to drain away water in the event if a leak. It is worth it.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Though seldom experienced by hobbyists, a tank leak is no joke once it happens. A tank leaking slowly overnight can become a nightmare in the morning, as water can flow under heavy furniture which cannot be moved for cleaning/drying. As a safety precaution, always get new tanks and replace them after a few years. To be safe, I always make sure I have a shallow tray fitted with tubing under the tank to drain away water in the event if a leak. It is worth it.
    Hi tetrakid, thank you for your advise. Will look into your advise, as the tank will be in my room and i don't want to wake up to step on a wet floor

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

OK
    Quote Originally Posted by simbk View Post
    Hi tetrakid, thank you for your advise. Will look into your advise, as the tank will be in my room and i don't want to wake up to step on a wet floor
    Yes, but what can be most pekchek is that wooden furniture base and floor will not dry for a long long time, thus giving rise to rotting and creepy-crawlies such as centipede, cockroaches, even termites, etc infestation in time in the dampness, not to mention the odour. Though that will seldom or is unlikely to happen, l think prevention is a good thing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

OK
    Yes, but what can be most pekchek is that wooden furniture base and floor will not dry for a long long time, thus giving rise to rotting and creepy-crawlies such as centipede, cockroaches, even termites, etc infestation in time in the dampness, not to mention the odour. Though that will seldom or is unlikely to happen, l think prevention is a good thing.
    I can understand, i encounter it once in during my early stage into this hobby. I left the string of the filter bag hanging outside of the HOF, causing the water to seep down from the string. it nearly destroy my cupboard, lucky thing is discover it early, else will be much worse

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I can understand, i encounter it once in during my early stage into this hobby. I left the string of the filter bag hanging outside of the HOF, causing the water to seep down from the string. it nearly destroy my cupboard, lucky thing is discover it early, else will be much worse
    LOL, I have also experienced that. That dripping is not as bad as an aquarium leak. If you have a 3 ft tank which springs a slow leak, it is going to be a big flood in the house in the morning. That is really no joke, as that can put you off the hobby forever due to 'leak phobia'.

A tank can also have a higher chance of leaking if the bottom piece of styrofoam is not in place. Sometimes, new hobbyists discard that styrofoam without knowing its function. Without a stress dampener, spot stress due to any uneven surface is real.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

LOL, I have also experienced that. That dripping is not as bad as an aquarium leak. If you have a 3 ft tank which springs a slow leak, it is going to be a big flood in the house in the morning. That is really no joke, as that can put you off the hobby forever due to 'leak phobia'.

A tank can also have a higher chance of leaking if the bottom piece of styrofoam is not in place. Sometimes, new hobbyists discard that styrofoam without knowing its function. Without a stress dampener, spot stress due to any uneven surface is real.
    I didn't know that..thanks for the enlightenment tetrakid

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'll
    I didn't know that..thanks for the enlightenment tetrakid
    Yes, it is true. That is why it is not advisable to get used tanks, because the previous owner/s could have placed the tank on an uneven surface for years thus weakening the joint seals in addition to the ageing of the silicone itself.

When buying a new tank, always insist on the base styrofoam. A good quality rubber mat also serves the same function but it's expensive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I see. Really appreciate your inputs on this mater, tetrakid

Well, all that is left is to transfer my fish to the new tank i got from Seaview

Fingers cross that no casualty happens when transferring