Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hair algea

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Please help me to remove the hair algae.
    I just added a new layer of ADA soil few weeks ago, also replant the hair grass and bolbitis. Everything goes well except the appearance of the hair algea, they are dominating the tank now.
    My tank parameter:
    45x27x30
    Substrate ADA (power sand+soil)
    Filter eheim 2213
    Light ADA led for 45cm tank (7h/day)
    Temp: 27oC (chiller)
    CO2 2bps (8h/day)

Please advise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hair algea

Hi there uglyduckling,

You should put your Co2 less than your lights because the excess Co2 is going to be used up by algae. Consider cutting your Co2 for about 4 days and see how it goes. You can also try doing massive water changes and dosing Seachem Flourish if you have it on hand. If all fails try hydrogen peroxide you can get a bottle of 1% concentration at about $5 from Guardian and spray it onto the log and leaves after you removed 50% of the water. Wait for like 10 minutes then refill the tank. Hydrogen peroxide will degrade into water and oxygen when it comes into contact with water so it will be totally safe for your fishes if you do not overdose it. You can try googling it up and there are certain recipies for optimal results.

Cheers,
    Happydanio
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I know most will not agree with this technique and I may even get backlash. But chill people, chill! :-)

When my tank was attacked by hair algae, I used Easylife Algaexit. Dosed according to instructions. Nothing happened the first two weeks. But I did noticed the hair algae stopped spreading and appear to become thinner. On the end of third week, very little trace of hair algae remain.

Also, I added red nose shrimps. Red nose shrimps appear to have a liking towards eating hair algae.

My recommendation, go get the smallest bottle of Algaexit and a dozen red nose shrimps. Within a month, this problem will be history. :-)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Vietnam

Hair algea

Thanks happydanio and raindrop for the advices, I would try them all.

Since chemical treatments will be my last option, I'll get some shrimps to do the job first.
    May I know where can I get those red nose shrimps? I live in the west, nearest LFS is probably c328, do they have it in stock?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by uglyduckling View Post
    Thanks happydanio and raindrop for the advices, I would try them all.

Since chemical treatments will be my last option, I'll get some shrimps to do the job first.
    May I know where can I get those red nose shrimps? I live in the west, nearest LFS is probably c328, do they have it in stock?

Try to reduce the photo period slowly, 7-6.5hrs for 3-4 days and 6.5 to 6hrs in next 3-4 days until you see some improvement.
    In my case I figured too much light and less co2 so I increased bps and reduced photo period to get rid of algae. Now increased plant mass so no excess nutrients available for algae to feed on...

But its hard not to turn on the lights to enjoy your tank.... so I suggest you figure out co2 and dose other nutrients accordingly for a long term solution.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

I think so too. Maybe too much light too little plants. Change water. Manual remove. When you do increase plants may have to up co2. Play around with it. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

The last time I had hair algae, I reduced light up c02, replant areas where too much hair that it is not worth the effort to manual remove. And change water 2 or 3 times a week. Ensure water circulation. Clean filter. I already have fully planted tank very little bare substrate to start with. Combined effect is hair algae reduced and what's left stopped reproducing. Finally no trace at all.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have the same issue previously and after I increase the water flow via wave maker, problem gone after 2 - 3 weeks. I now hardly need to clean my glass even. Results can be seem on the pictures. FYI, I have very strong light for 8 hours and 1 bubble per second CO2.

Last edited by lhsaw; 14th Sep 2016 at 14:37. Reason: Forgot to include images