Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Suspect equipments leaking electrical current?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Suspect equipments leaking electrical current?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

Recently i suspect my Chihiros doctor, Teco 500 and Eheim Pro 3 to be leaking very small amount of electrical current into the tank. I do not have a test pen or volt meter to verify my suspicion. However whenever i place my finger into the tank water, i felt a tinkering sensation. I switch off all the equipment and turn it on one by one. These 3 are the ones that i will felt the tinkering sensations after i turned it on. Is it really possible that these are leaking current? The fishes and shrimps seems ok though? Or is it normal?

I can understand the Chihiros doctor leaking some current since it is submerged into the water. But how the chiller and filter leak current into the tank since all the electrical parts are not anywhere near the tank?

Lastly, how do i troubleshoot which parts of the chiller or filter is having problem?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Suspect equipments leaking electrical current?

Electrical current will only travel on the surface of the water. It does not travel through the water, so the inhabitants are not bothered unless they touch the surface. If you have surface feeders, you may notice that they seem to have lost their appetite, or only eat food that has started to sink.

I had a chiller that leaked electricity before. After reading the manual, I realised the vendor forgot to install an earthing cable for me. Solved it by simply getting some electrical cable and installed it according to the manual.

Never had a Eheim leaking electricity though.

I have never used the Chihiros Dr before, but my impression is that it should be a very low current... Not enough to give a tingle.

I don't think you will be able to troubleshoot the parts without taking the equipment apart.

My suggestion is to go check the manual of the chiller regarding earthing. If you don't have it, check Tecos website or Google.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.