Country
    Singapore

Simple custom glass tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I am very new to this hobby and recently bought a 1gallon tank and its currently holding guppies. I want to get something bigger so that I can hold shrimps and be able to play around with aquascaping. As I am very limited on space, I want a custom tank made with these measurement 32x7x6 inches (LxBxH). I was wondering what are your opinion on a tank (to keep shrimps) of this measurement. And also, is there any custom tank maker you would recommend?

thank you

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Simple custom glass tank.

32x7x6 inches = 81cm x 18cm x 15cm.... quite an odd set of dimensions, is it meant to fit on a bookshelf?

Anyways those tank dimensions work out to around 21 liters (or around 5+ gallons), thats still an okay size to keep a group of shrimps in it. Depending on your filtration and maintenance regimen, it should be able to hold up to 20-30 shrimps quite comfortably for a start.

For custom tank makers, you can check with companies like N30 or CR Aquarium.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Aquaria View Post
    32x7x6 inches = 81cm x 18cm x 15cm.... quite an odd set of dimensions, is it meant to fit on a bookshelf?

Anyways those tank dimensions work out to around 21 liters (or around 5+ gallons), thats still an okay size to keep a group of shrimps in it. Depending on your filtration and maintenance regimen, it should be able to hold up to 20-30 shrimps quite comfortably for a start.

For custom tank makers, you can check with companies like N30 or CR Aquarium.
    Thank you for the reply! I actually want the tank to be on my computer table. The dimensions for it is so wide but short is so that it will act as a "stand" for my computer monitor and would be directly in front of me.

I was reading a little on the forum about people discussing about glass when getting a custom tank. I am currently using a cheap tank ($7) that I got from a random LFS in Clementi. Would there be a significant difference getting a tank made with the same glass as the tank I got (I would think it is the "worst" seeing that it was so cheap) compared to a high end glass?

In your opinion,si there a bare minimum you think any tank should be made of? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
    I was reading a little on the forum about people discussing about glass when getting a custom tank. I am currently using a cheap tank ($7) that I got from a random LFS in Clementi. Would there be a significant difference getting a tank made with the same glass as the tank I got (I would think it is the "worst" seeing that it was so cheap) compared to a high end glass?

In your opinion,si there a bare minimum you think any tank should be made of? Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    Well, most likely the tank you got is made of normal float glass... it's the common type of glass that the majority of tanks are usually made of. I guess you could consider normal float glass as "bare minimum" standard.

The higher end glass you are referring to is high-clarity low-iron glass or crystal glass, the main difference is it is much clearer and doesn't have the greenish tint like normal float glass.

Do note that other than the glass material, the silicone workmanship on the seams and glass edges also makes a noticeable difference. Higher quality tanks will usually have very minimal silicone with almost no excess spilling out (it will look almost like there is no silicone at all), on the other hand lower quality tanks will tend to have very thick uneven silicone seams with lots of excess spilling out. That's something you have to inspect closely before purchasing a tank.

Just for reference, you can check out a glass comparison in this thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...mal-Glass-Tank

Nowadays if you are looking at ready-made tanks, the crystal glass versions usually cost just abit more than normal glass tank, especially for the smaller tank sizes, so it makes sense to go for crystal glass whenever possible. As tank sizes go larger (>2ft and larger), the price gap starts to widen more and more.

If you custom made a tank, the difference in their prices can differ by alot, there is quite a steep premium for custom made crystal glass tanks, so you'll just have to get quotes to compare and see which type of glass tanks can match your budget.
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well, most likely the tank you got is made of normal float glass... it's the common type of glass that the majority of tanks are usually made of. I guess you could consider normal float glass as "bare minimum" standard.

The higher end glass you are referring to is high-clarity low-iron glass or crystal glass, the main difference is it is much clearer and doesn't have the greenish tint like normal float glass.

Do note that other than the glass material, the silicone workmanship on the seams and glass edges also makes a noticeable difference. Higher quality tanks will usually have very minimal silicone with almost no excess spilling out (it will look almost like there is no silicone at all), on the other hand lower quality tanks will tend to have very thick uneven silicone seams with lots of excess spilling out. That's something you have to inspect closely before purchasing a tank.

Just for reference, you can check out a glass comparison in this thread: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...mal-Glass-Tank

Nowadays if you are looking at ready-made tanks, the crystal glass versions usually cost just abit more than normal glass tank, especially for the smaller tank sizes, so it makes sense to go for crystal glass whenever possible. As tank sizes go larger (>2ft and larger), the price gap starts to widen more and more.

If you custom made a tank, the difference in their prices can differ by alot, there is quite a steep premium for custom made crystal glass tanks, so you'll just have to get quotes to compare and see which type of glass tanks can match your budget.
    Awesome! thank you so much for the reply. I will contact the two tank makers you mentioned to get a quote. They are reputable so I should not need to worry about the silicon and what not right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just a reminder that u need to consider the weight that ur computer desk can withstand.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Re: Simple custom glass tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbins View Post
    Awesome! thank you so much for the reply. I will contact the two tank makers you mentioned to get a quote. They are reputable so I should not need to worry about the silicon and what not right?
    I have made custom tanks with both of those companies before. So far their service, workmanship and quality are relatively good.

Their tank silicone seams are still visible though (not as seamless like ready made ones), but not too thick either, still acceptable. So far i haven't found a local tank maker that could make invisible silicone seams anyways.

As these tanks are all hand-made, you will still need to physically check the finished results during collection or delivery, make sure that there are no scratches, dents, cracks or bubbles in the glass and seams (the tank makers provide warranty for their works).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerX5521 View Post
    Just a reminder that u need to consider the weight that ur computer desk can withstand.
    Thanks! Will definitely get an extra leg for the center of the table. or change the table completely!

I have made custom tanks with both of those companies before. So far their service, workmanship and quality are relatively good.

Their tank silicone seams are still visible though (not as seamless like ready made ones), but not too thick either, still acceptable. So far i haven't found a local tank maker that could make invisible silicone seams anyways.

As these tanks are all hand-made, you will still need to physically check the finished results during collection or delivery, make sure that there are no scratches, dents, cracks or bubbles in the glass and seams (the tank makers provide warranty for their works).
    Awesome! I have already contacted both of them and already got a reply from one. Price seems fairly reasonable ($60).