Country
    Singapore

Re: Newbie starting a planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Marley22 View Post
    is this a customize one? nice.. a bit far in my place coz i stay cck area. hehe but i will visit the place might get some nice tank too. thanks again bro

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk
    It's not customize. It's a ANS opticube crystal clear 60*30*36cm 6mm. Maybe you can check out clementi fs, they might have it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z011D using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

oh ok. thanks

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

if you take no offense, your scape is not there yet. you can create few more combinations with those rock and wood.
    all the rock looks like thrown randomly, follow pattern like lean towards one side, following the flow and close to each other.
    if you notice all those "wow" tanks, you wont find the scattered rock arrangement.
    I am not an expert but gone through this, not happy with the scape after 4 months and planning to tear down.

arrange rock and wood in as many combination as possible and take pictures, relax and review all then decide which one you like the best
    you can seek suggestions here too

my two cents. cheers..
    Madhav

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by madhav96001 View Post
    if you take no offense, your scape is not there yet. you can create few more combinations with those rock and wood.
    all the rock looks like thrown randomly, follow pattern like lean towards one side, following the flow and close to each other.
    if you notice all those "wow" tanks, you wont find the scattered rock arrangement.
    I am not an expert but gone through this, not happy with the scape after 4 months and planning to tear down.

arrange rock and wood in as many combination as possible and take pictures, relax and review all then decide which one you like the best
    you can seek suggestions here too

my two cents. cheers..
    Madhav
    Hi madhav96001, thanks for your comments. I had tried putting more stones before, but i found it quite messy and cramp, due to my tank size. Will try your recommendation, and see.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

Took some time to respond as it is not easy to explain. Hope I can put my thoughts through.

The scape does not look dynamic. The rocks seem randomly placed. The visually strongest part of the wood is directing viewer's eyes to the back of the tank.

A few fundamentals of scaping:
    - Create focal points. Maximum is 2: one main and one sub. For a tank this size, usually just 1 main.
    - Use the "lines" in the wood and rocks to guide the eyes to the focal point of the scape. In wood, the "lines" are the branches and the grain (if obvious). In rocks, the "lines" is the grain (like ADA Seiryu rocks or petrified/fossilized wood) and the shape (secondary).
    - Create contrast to enhance the focal points. There are several ways and can be combined:
    -- Using the "lines" of the wood and rocks. Create lines towards or away from the focal point. Avoid too many (unless you are going for a radial effect). You can create "lines" with plants by using height (e.g. tall to short), but may require frequent pruning to maintain. Alternatively, place plants according to their inherent grow rates or max height.
    -- Using characteristic of plants such as colours, shades (of colours), leaf shape, leaf shape, height. E.g. dark green vs bright green, green vs red, big leaves vs small, long leaves vs broad leaves, pinnate leaves vs non-pinnate, etc.
    - Avoid exact symmetry.

Specific comments for your scape:
    Try to place the wood to direct the eyes of the viewer towards the open space on the left. This can be achieved by tilting the wood such that most of the branches are pointing towards that space. Or adding more wood to do that. Although, I write direct the eyes towards the space, it actually makes the middle of the wood as the focal point, as the branches radiate out of there. The open space acts as a contrast to further bring out the focal point.

To keep the wood in place, prop them up with rocks, or wedge them between rocks.

For the rocks, a few suggestions:
    - Place them flat on the soil (like what you have now), but radiate the "lines" outwards from the core of the wood.
    - Or, place them to stick out of the soil, but also radiating from the core of the wood.

The rocks at the back, depending on what you plan to plant, may be hidden in your completed layout. If so, move them to the front to enhance the layout. You can pile some rocks together to make the scape more natural and dynamic. Right now they are place in a seemingly equal spaced apart... it creates an unconcious feeling of "man made".

Hope that helps.

~ Sent from Moto X Style via Tapatalk ~
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi vinz, thank you very much for your comments. Just to understand better, "radiate the 'line' outwards from the core of the wood", you mean arrange the rocks 'line' in the same direction as where the wood branches are pointing to?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, and slightly to the front. If the core of the wood is the centre, then use the rocks to create visual lines that come out from that centre. Like drawing rays out from the sun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Slight clarification. Does not have to be towards the exact same direction, but generally the same direction.

Search the web for similar aquascapes and maybe you can see what I'm trying to say.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Okie, will try. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I am not very into scaping but want to drop 2 cents on some practical stuff
    1) probably you want to swap the inlet n outlet position , splatter and access to the front also blocks the viewing. (mine was a 90x30x36 iwagumi Dwarf Hairgrass so not much choice but put 2 extreme ends )
    2) Too many small gaps in between rocks will hinder accessibility to trim carpet as once established they will keep covering the rocks depending you choice unless it is those which don't thicken much
    3) hunt for 2nd hand classic 600, 2073 or the 2036 ( but the handle is abit...zzzz) am pretty sure you will have the quick release valve so use it to regulate the flow to suit your need. Besides the aquarist itchy finger syndrome will strike

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi skytan, thanks for the comment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re-arrange the layout, please comment. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The big middle trunk is pretty strong visually, so it's grabbing all the attention. I would try to tilt the wood to the left some more. On the other hand, it would depend on what you're planning to plant. If your plants will soften or hide that big trunk. It might still work.

Did you consider placing that wood upside down? But then your plants must take centre stage.

Share more about what and where you intend to plant. It can make a difference to the final look.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi vinz, thanks for the comments. I tried putting the wood upside down, but i still prefer this position. I am still deciding what to plant. Some plant in mind will be staurogyne repons at the around the base of the wood, mosses on the smaller trunk. Rotala bonsai or pogostemon erectus on the left. Rotala rotundifolia or echinodorus tenellus behind the wood. MC on floor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ahhoy View Post
    Hi guys,

I bought a 60x30x45cm tank, and Heheim classc 350 filter. The pump rate of the filter is about 620l/hr, is it able to filter my tank efficiently. Or should i get a higher pump rate
    For a planted tank, the flow rate of the water is important for the proper growth of plants. I usually would recommend anything between 10x to 15x flow rate; meaning to say you should get a pump capable of pumping 810 l/h (22 g/h) and above. Oh and are you intending to inject Co2?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=ahhoy;848362]Re-arrange the layout, please comment. Thank you.

/QUOTE]

try not to stuck the rocks and wood in the substrate, will be frustrating to change the scape. either try it on top of the soil or remove the soil leaving a think layer so rocks wont damage the bottom glass. try many many combinations.

you have all same size small rocks which eventually will disappear when your scape is matured. see below picture to see what i mean. if rocks are to play enhancement role main focal point being your wood, thats fine.
    Plant selection also important. i just wanted to see what happens if i dont trim for two weeks. see below. my aim was to see plants grow so I picked rather easy plants.

for me, its not appealing, just looks pretty much the same as previous. Finally its your decision. you should be happy with your design. you are going to enjoy your creation daily.
    but I believe with a little patience and available rock and wood you should be able to come up something interesting.... love to see how it goes.

Madhav

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi crenjia34, madhav, thank you very much for your comments. Hopefully, my setup will be successful.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Most of the rocks will be covered by MC. Try clustering them closer to the wood instead? Your stemmed plants should be placed around the wood for a more natural effect. Putting them on the left will not look that nice in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Squee, thank you very much for your comment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12