Country
    Singapore

Indoor WaterFeature Integrated with Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi,
    I am thinking of starting a new project for an indoor water feature that integrates a tank.
    I intend to buy a regular rectangle tank with powerhead. Put in a column water feature that output water into the tank below.
    any body has done this before?
    Some considerations:
    1. can a regular tank take the column water feature weight?
    2. what is the maintenance effort like if the bio-load is minimize?
    3. I am thinking of using some plants (eg. 'iron tree') to break the water fall/flow. any suggestion?
    4. What type of fish can take such turbulent water?

Please share your opinion and inputs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Indoor WaterFeature Integrated with Tank

Looks like a typical indoor water feature setup... just that its using a glass tank instead of a fiberglass tub.

I guess if your column water feature is not too heavy and the weight is spread out on some supports, the bottom glass of the tank should be able to take the weight. The key is to distribute the weight of the water feature. You'll have to test and see. If in doubt, try to get lighter weight water feature structures (ie. resin cast rather than actual stone).

If there is no direct sunlight or light on the tank and bio-load is low, it can be quite low maintenance. If there is no filter, they you'll just have to do more regular water changes and manually siphon/net out any waste regularly (depending on bio-load).

Other than using plants to break the water flow, you could also just use some bamboo/wood slats or panels to create ramps for the water to flow over. That will help distribute the water over a wider area and reduce the overall current.

As for fishes, go for hardy fishes like guppies or rasboras. If the flow is strong, choose those fishes with shorter fins and more streamlined bodies, they are naturally more accustomed to stronger currents.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com