Feedback Score
    Country
    Palau

How many wc per week/2weeks?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello there everyone! I am new to this forum. Hope to find some answer over here. As recently just killed my arowana after wc. How many % per week or per 2 weeks? Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How many wc per week/2weeks?

It all depends on your tank size and bioload as well as ur filter capacity. Arowanas can be pretty big shit producers so you will definitely need a sump to handle that amount of waste. How big is your tank? If it is a 6-8ft with only 1 arowana then 30-40% once in 2 weeks should be Ok, assuming that your sump is coping well. If it is smaller then 30% a week is good. I personally do not have any experience when it comes to arowanas so you might have to take my suggestions with a pinch of salt. Anyways, do what is most logical and more water changes is always better than less, and be sure to treat your water before adding it. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Happydanio

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Does this make sense: ~Imperfect Past equals future tense~

Feedback Score
    Country
    Palau

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    It all depends on your tank size and bioload as well as ur filter capacity. Arowanas can be pretty big shit producers so you will definitely need a sump to handle that amount of waste. How big is your tank? If it is a 6-8ft with only 1 arowana then 30-40% once in 2 weeks should be Ok, assuming that your sump is coping well. If it is smaller then 30% a week is good. I personally do not have any experience when it comes to arowanas so you might have to take my suggestions with a pinch of salt. Anyways, do what is most logical and more water changes is always better than less, and be sure to treat your water before adding it. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Happydanio

Oh i see. My tank just 98x43x38. 40 gallon. 2 powerhead inside. 1 for aeration. 1 for filtering. I plan to do 20% per week

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ok. This seems good enough. What filter are you using? If thr filter isnt a sump you should upgrade it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Palau

Quote Originally Posted by happydanio123 View Post
    Ok. This seems good enough. What filter are you using? If thr filter isnt a sump you should upgrade it.

I am using the OHF. Have you ever heard about this anti chlorine named ocean free new water guard by Qianhu. I think it is safe to overdose than underdose right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Maybe your fish was killed by chemicals?
    I have kept fish for many years and do not use any chemicals, but I always have aged water on standby for WC.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I feel that the amount of anti chlorine added should be in proportion to the amount of water changed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldaw View Post
    I am using the OHF. Have you ever heard about this anti chlorine named ocean free new water guard by Qianhu. I think it is safe to overdose than underdose right?
    Actually, I am pretty picky when it comes to chemicals especially dechlorinators. I personally feel Seachem is very good (no offense to Ocean Free) and I always use it. I think if your tank is settled in and plants and fish are happy then underdosing dechlorinators will be more than Ok because the filter that is already settled in should be able to deal with excess chlorine and ammonium.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think it is time to look into using ro/di water for top off or water change . I am also in the camp of not using chemical for the tank , not even medication .

For the arowana , depend on your feeding , if you feed more and more fish waste is produced , weekly water change is needed . Usually , this will occur when you see a lot of fish waste on the tank bottom .

Actually chlorine is easy to remove , agitating heavily might evaporate it . The other additive in the water supply is chloramine , which is harder to remove . This stuff is not favourable for our pet fish .

You now have 2 option , do smaller water change , enough to remove the solid fish waste and replace the water with tap water and hope the arowana will get used to it or go the ro/di way , which cost hundreds in the beginning and wont end with the cost steadily rising yearly . Cost of replacing the filtration media such as carbon and resin itself . Do your research .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.