Images
    Country
    Singapore

Prob with 3ft Shrimp Tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I'm suddenly having this prob with my 3ft shrimp tank, shrimps have been found dead over the past 3 days (abt 3-5 each day)... I really don't know what's going on as I didn't do any major rescape (only a minor trimming of stem plants last week) and alternate days of topping up water due to evaporation....

I don't even feed everyday, feeding them a mixture of Azoo 9in1 Discus pellet(red) and Sera Discus "Blue" color food on alternate days... Anyway the following is my tank perimeters I just took, seems kinda bad to me thou:

NH3: 0-0.25
    PH: 6
    No2: 0
    KH: 2-3dkh
    Lights: 4x36W PLL 10hrs
    Co2: 3-4 bps
    Temp: 22-26 deg cel

Guys I need your expertise and advice

PS. I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct forum. Mod if wrong pls move this to the appropriate forum.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There is the slight possibilty that your tapwater might have something added recently ( PUB or whatever ), or that the ecosystem in your tank is so delicate that trimming a little already affects so much.

Try planting more stem plants. Use water conditioners if you top up straight from the tap. That's the thing about shrimps, they are so sensitive.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dkk08
    Hi guys, I'm suddenly having this prob with my 3ft shrimp tank, shrimps have been found dead over the past 3 days (abt 3-5 each day)... I really don't know what's going on as I didn't do any major rescape (only a minor trimming of stem plants last week) and alternate days of topping up water due to evaporation....

I don't even feed everyday, feeding them a mixture of Azoo 9in1 Discus pellet(red) and Sera Discus "Blue" color food on alternate days... Anyway the following is my tank perimeters I just took, seems kinda bad to me thou:

PS. I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct forum. Mod if wrong pls move this to the appropriate forum.
    You shouldn't be getting a reading off the NH3 kit though for a well planted tank. Another issue is the CO2 readings..~90ppm is way too high and if you are going 24/7, you are going to kill things.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee|
    There is the slight possibilty that your tapwater might have something added recently ( PUB or whatever ), or that the ecosystem in your tank is so delicate that trimming a little already affects so much.

Try planting more stem plants. Use water conditioners if you top up straight from the tap. That's the thing about shrimps, they are so sensitive.

Good luck.
    I was suspecting that the water might have been affected somehow...

As for stem plants I've er abt 20 stalks of stem plants in the tank and yes everytime I top up water I'll add Aquaplus, moreover I used aged water that I contain in those 1.5L Mineral Bottle and I add a capful of Aquaplus everytime I do that... arghz!

Funny thing is my CRS r doing fine no casualties but mainly the Greens, Tigers, Bees and Malayans so frustrating... now I don't dare to add anymore new shrimps liao sighz...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGwee
    You shouldn't be getting a reading off the NH3 kit though for a well planted tank. Another issue is the CO2 readings..~90ppm is way too high and if you are going 24/7, you are going to kill things.

Regards
    Peter Gwee
    NH3 shld be 0 but my eyesight is failing me so play safe quoted 0-0.25 even my gal says its 0...

I was wondering if PH is too low? PH low means water is acidic or alkaline? (my basic science sux )

Guess I've to change the Co2 to 1-2bps (advisable?)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by dkk08

I bought 70 cherry shrimps!!!... and now only left 10 plus... Same thing happen to me tooo!!! every few days, 2 -3 shrimps die.... I top up h20 from tap every 4 days... But now i keep it in a pail for a few day b4 i top up...
    Photos Photos and more Photos of Mine!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Livaio
    I bought 70 cherry shrimps!!!... and now only left 10 plus... Same thing happen to me tooo!!! every few days, 2 -3 shrimps die.... I top up h20 from tap every 4 days... But now i keep it in a pail for a few day b4 i top up...
    Hi Livaio, where do you buy the shrimps from? I see shops selling $10/20ea and it's too expensive for newbies
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by yokogi
    Hi Livaio, where do you buy the shrimps from? I see shops selling $10/20ea and it's too expensive for newbies
    seletar farmway. I bought 100 and give some to my bro
    100 for 60

I also breed cherry. now i can see 28 mini cherry.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=12423
    Photos Photos and more Photos of Mine!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info. I'll go topo that area since it's quite near my house too.

Saw these shrimps' babies in the Clementi fishshop i can imagine your delight when u find them in your tank.
    Newbie in Aquatic Tank Setup....